WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through August 16, 2007 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=490381)
-   -   How many here shop Ebay for gear? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=487767)

mjmurphy53711 08-10-2007 10:56 PM

As much as I support my local shops I know I still do, for the obvious advantages. <BR> <BR>Either way, I definately sell my gear on ebay. <BR> <BR>I am working on developing a website that would make the searching aspect of shopping ebay easier and more user friendly if that would interest anyone.

bbking 08-11-2007 3:50 AM

saved $150 on watsons CT... bought em for $250 new

drewsnautique94 08-11-2007 5:21 AM

got my brand new murrays for 178 shipped..2006 blk.whts <BR> <BR>got a year old motive brand new for 150 shipped <BR> <BR>always lookin at e bay

datim 08-11-2007 5:54 AM

I check out eBay and buy on there all the time, but you don't always find the best deal there. I've seen time and again, people paying more than they should for an item on eBay, when they could get the same item from an online store for less if they just did a little research at some of the deal sites. For example, right now you can get a 2006 LF Angel 134 (the board my wife wanted) for $149 shipped at Evogear.com. But you see all the time people paying $160-$180 (shipped) on eBay for the same board. I guess they don't take into account the shipping costs or don't look around much. <BR> <BR>It also seems that with some people they tend to get into an "auction" frame of mind on eBay and can be induced to bid more for an item just because they don't want to lose it. Good for sellers though. :-) <BR> <BR>You certainly can get great deals on eBay, but you can't automatically assume that the deals will be good. It takes a bit of research and patience. <BR> <BR>But I've used it a lot and definitely sell items on eBay as well. If you are clear in your postings and research how people are titling other items the same as yours (and which ones are selling the best), and of course you have good feedback, communicate and are prompt with your shipping, your items will generally sell in the top of what those items sell on eBay for. <BR> <BR>One thing that I'd always recommend as well is only using Paypal. It's not worth the hassle dealing with anything else, and it also gives buyers some assurance that you are indeed going to keep your end of the bargain. Paypal takes a fee, but I've sold over 100 items on eBay, and I've found that Paypal is always worth it. It's simple, it's fast and much less of a hassle. I've done PMOs and checks in the past, but always had trouble. So now I just stick with Paypal. <BR> <BR>I also only purchase things from people that accept Paypal. That way I have a double layer of protection in case something goes wrong. First line of defense is Paypal helping to resolve the issue, second is my credit card company.

tinytdubb 08-11-2007 6:30 AM

one thing to take into consideration about ebay is that, there are people who live hundreds of miles from a legit board shop. So a lot of time you see items go for more than "retail" price. To them i'm sure its better than paying for gas. I picked up my 3ds bindings for $152 from Grizzly Sports through ebay. They have some insane deals.

malibuboarder75 08-11-2007 7:00 AM

Dan, that is weird that you mentioned that. I was going to buy my girlfriend a 134 Angel on Ebay because the starting bid was $10. The ending price was like $135 with $25 shipping. I was thinking 'you guys are idiots, evogear is selling them $149 shipped'. Oh well, ebay is not always a deal. Somethings like electronics, are better bought from a dealer.

mjmurphy53711 08-11-2007 8:01 AM

I agree with that, electronics are overprice on ebay. <BR> <BR>Winter is a great time to buy wakeboard gear on ebay though.

cgoode 08-11-2007 8:50 AM

I got a brand new hyperlite 3DS wakeboard (last years board) for $180 from Grizzly Sports on ebay. Local shop said there rock bottom price on the same board was $380. Think it was a good buy.

mjmurphy53711 08-11-2007 9:27 AM

That is a smoking deal if you didn't get raped for shipping.

nasty530 08-11-2007 5:24 PM

For me its the only way to be able to afford the things I want to do. If you watch and plan, you can save a ton of money. Just have to be careful and pay attention to the product and the seller. Cant say I am really proud to shop so much of ebay though... kinda like shopping at Ross it seems

mjmurphy53711 08-11-2007 7:50 PM

Okay guys no flaming please LOL! <BR> <BR>I threw together a quick site that pulls all the wakeboard related ebay auctions to make it easier for everyone check it out: <BR> <BR><a href="http://www.wakeboardselect.com" target="_blank">www.wakeboardselect.com</a> <BR> <BR>No flaming please, Google ads won't make me rich haha!

lfs56 08-11-2007 8:29 PM

^^^^ hey, thats nice!

hal2814 08-12-2007 5:24 AM

Don't take this the wrong way, but it's not very hard to view categorized auctions on eBay. Your site looks nice but I wouldn't go to it over just clicking on the Waterskiing/Watersports section of the eBay page.

sandman59 08-12-2007 6:56 AM

I almost always buy on Ebay for both my wakeboarding and snow sport's equipment. To get great deals, I buy during the off-season.

mjmurphy53711 08-12-2007 9:03 AM

Dante, I am aware of that....just saves you from going to ebay.com, then typing in your search, then clicking on your category. <BR> <BR>I am saving you 30 seconds! <BR> <BR>Anyways, I will use it and it was easy to setup.

sportydude 08-12-2007 9:26 AM

i always check ebay, cuz we dont have a boardshop close to me

azmel 08-14-2007 9:20 AM

I always check ebay! I do support my local shops but if I am saving like $100, I have to do it! It only makes sense! I bought '06 LF Minx LTD for $81 shipped on ebay! They were $299 at my shop! Sold my old bindings on ebay for $50 that means my new ones only cost me like $31! Can't beat that!

wazzy 08-14-2007 9:55 AM

As a former employee of a privately owned pro shop... I HATE E-BAY!!! What are you all going to do when all your local shops are closed up?

hal2814 08-14-2007 10:17 AM

"What are you all going to do when all your local shops are closed up?" <BR> <BR>Keep buying from eBay? I don't exactly have a local shop but if I did, they had better be at least competitive with eBay prices to get my business. I'll pay a little extra for quality service but in a situation like Melonie's, I'll take eBay every time. When I used to live near a local shop, their prices were terrible. It didn't really matter to me if they went out of business because I'm not paying a $100+ premium just to buy local.

timmy 08-14-2007 10:24 AM

I have purchased my last two boards from eBay. <BR> <BR>There is nothing about a local "proshop" that is an advantage IMO, unless you are friends with them, as from my experience that is the only time they go out of your way to give you good service. <BR> <BR>Plus I don't have to drive anywhere, it comes to my door!

nasty530 08-14-2007 10:25 AM

It is a double edged sword. Given the opportunity I would ALWAYS buy from a shop. There is something to be said for keeping your money local, supporting your community, and giving to the companies that give back to us. With that said it all depends on how much you can save and at what risk. I would hate to put shops out of business, but I would hate to be broke too...

ironj32 08-14-2007 10:32 AM

i doubt i will ever buy stuff from ebay. my local shops are the bomb! lol, am i the only one who breaks their gear on average of about once month? if i bought my stuff from ebay i would be just floating around on a tube for most of the summer.

wakechic06 08-14-2007 11:27 AM

I live on ebay... guess thats why i have no money huh <BR> <BR>college student + ebay = broke

swoop 08-14-2007 11:27 AM

Ebay sales are touch and go. If they have a "buy it now" price its usually to the sellers advantage. If you can find that rare auction where the reserve has been met and the price is still reasonable then its worthwhile. <BR> <BR>That being said, I caught some Watson bindings last week for 180.00 new in the box. I was able to pick up locally and save the shipping. Worked out nice.

darinmg 08-14-2007 11:40 AM

I bought a brand new 2006 Shane 140 last November for $135, and some brand new 2006 Watson bindings for $130 around the same time. The whole setup shipped was just under $300. Can't beat that for new gear. I love ebay.

josh_wilkes 08-14-2007 1:19 PM

I just bought a pair of hyperlite parks binding off ebay today from grizzly sports. pretty pleased with the price $180

wazzy 08-15-2007 11:33 AM

I guess most of you will never know until you are on the other side. <BR> <BR>I saw it mostly w/ snowboard &amp; snowski stuff... people would come in, have us size them up &amp; get all the info, then return in a week or so w/ thier purchase off e-bay &amp; want us to mount it all up for them. Kind of a kick in the nuts.... Then they expect you to be happy that they took thier business somewhere else. I was going to start charging people a consulting fee.

behindtheboat 08-15-2007 12:02 PM

Forrest I agree with you. Why do the companies continue to sell to shops who put a majority of their itmes online? That is what doesn't make sense to me. To keep shops happy, and I know some companies would promise this initially (not allowing online retailers), but thats who needs to stop it. The fact that Hyperlite allows Grizzly sports to sell such quantity at such a low price is the sad part. Then they'll market about supporting your local shop.

mjmurphy53711 08-15-2007 1:10 PM

I support my local pro shop, but that doesn't mean I don't LOVE a. selling my gear on ebay and b. finding the occasional bargain on ebay.

behindtheboat 08-15-2007 1:49 PM

May sound hypocritical, but I agree and understand about selling and buying, but only when it's from a private seller. Shops have ruined used boat sites and new and old gear sites like ebay.

mjmurphy53711 08-15-2007 3:34 PM

^ I agree with that as well, you have to look long and hard these days on ebay to even find private sales.

myaliasisnull 08-15-2007 3:57 PM

The totally ironic thing is that many of the sales on Ebay are board shops getting rid of their excess inventory. So they are actually killing themselves.

ispair 08-15-2007 5:05 PM

I wish I had some of your guys money to spend 40%-60% more for a product for the sole purpose of keeping your business local. Unfortunately, supporting a wife, 3 kids, and my hobby demand me to find the absolute best deal I can. Again, if I was making really good money my opinion might be different. <BR> <BR>Fortunately, Hyperlite, Liquid Force, and some other company's have very good customer service regardless of where you buy your product from.

nickdakoolkat 08-15-2007 7:04 PM

I am trying to buy some ballast bags right now from ebay....two 600lb bags, Im gonna set my boat up for surfing!