WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Removable fin just at the back? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=778647)

goatboy 04-19-2010 6:08 AM

Removable fin just at the back?

First up hello Wake world, Newbie here from London :D

Hopefully there will be someone about to offer me some advice...
I'm a bit of a wakeboarding rookie and I've done a few sessions on the cable. I have managed to get my dock starts working (which took me a while) but I am really struggling with the corners. Every time I go for a corner the board just slides out from underneath me, next time I try I over compensate and end of with a stinging faceplant, which really sucks...

On my first session on a rented board back in the autumn I managed much better, but since then I got a my own board and I can't even get round the first corner...

This is my board http://www.wakeworld.com/products/in...detail&p=56062
But I haven't been using any bolt on fins so I thought I would them a try.
Now fins aren't cheap and 2 fins was 50% of what the board is worth so I was a bit weary of buying 2 and realising they only make matters worse, so I just got one and put it on the back. The guys in the shop thought it was a bit weird but seemed to think it was OK.
Is this a really bad idea or should I have bought a pair? I won't be riding switch or anything obviously so the back of the board is doing most of the work right now.
I really like the way the board feels on the straights so I don't intend to stick with the fin for long but I'm starting to loose faith I will ever get round...

Any thoughts?

ColoRadDude 04-19-2010 10:16 AM

That link isn't working, which board are you riding? and where are you looking at fins, they shouldn't be that expensive.

bmr82 04-19-2010 10:32 AM

Never rode cable but from experience behind the boat. You don't need fins to keep your board from sliding out. That comes from proper edging, body positioning and handle postion.

benjaminp 04-19-2010 11:52 AM

I agree with Bret, I think the issue is really in your technique, not in the board. Try asking some experienced riders if they would mid watching you go around the corner and give you any pointers for it. Or if you have video of you doing it I'm sure the guys here can help you out.

goatboy 04-20-2010 12:17 AM

Thanks for your responses everyone. Sorry the link doesn't work...
The board is a 2007 CWB Faze so it has built in fins and is quite a beginners board.

The fins are not exactly expensive £20 each, which I guess is about 30USD, but the board and bindings only cost me £100 so I didn't really want to spend too much cash on it.

I guess I know my technique isn't right, I've asked lots of people for tips and techniques but nothing seems to be working, I was hoping that adding a fin might just give me a bit more stability and allow me to build up my confidence a bit.
The weekends session wasn't great (still aching badly) and I really just want to be able to spend some more time on the water without falling so much. Its not great having to queue 10 minutes to get on the cable just to ride for 30 seconds having a long walk back to the dock and start queing again...

Kane 04-20-2010 2:04 AM

Hey Dan
Are you riding in the UK? If so which cable?
My first time at a cable was last year and I had serious trouble getting around, turns out they'd given me a rental board that was too small,
as soon as I got a 140+ board on my second visit I didn't fall once. So you height and weight and board length will help answer that one.
Are you riding the corners regular or goofy? Taking the corners regular on counter clockwise cables (which most are) can be difficult for a beginner.
Hope that helps.

goatboy 04-20-2010 3:06 AM

Hi Jon,
Yep I'm riding at Princess so its a counter clockwise cable
I'm not a small chap to say the least! 6ft5 and over 15st.
I'm riding a 141 CWB faze...
I ride regular.

Anyone on here from princess will know who I am now :o

Kane 04-20-2010 3:54 AM

Well for a start they won't appriciate being called Princess :-p
It's a great cable, really nice staff there, spent a week there last April, really enjoyed it.
Ok, you're a big chap, 141 might be a bit on the small size.
Try to borrow a 144+, I think they do a 146 in LF Trips and Hype Mareks....

Take the corners switch, right foot forward, it means you can lean back into the line.
Stay under the cable as you approach the corner then when you are about 10 to 15 ft away edge out on your heels and pass between the bouys.
At first I used to let the handle away from my body in the corner, so that whent he the line goes slack you can pull the handle back in and reduce the yank you get when it catches again.

goatboy 04-20-2010 3:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kane (Post 1575208)
Well for a start they won't appriciate being called Princess :-p

Whoops! Spelling never was a strong point of mine!

Hmmm.. maybe I'll try and hire a bigger board and see if it helps...

Kane 04-20-2010 4:02 AM

Most importantly try a few laps switch.

goatboy 04-20-2010 4:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kane (Post 1575210)
Most importantly try a few laps switch.

Not sure I am up to that, considering I am complete rookie and struggling to ride regular, but I'll bear it in mind...

Thanks for your help Jon :D

sippi 04-20-2010 8:53 AM

That's the best time to learn switch! Everythings new to it's so much better to learn switch now. Nothing worse than learning spins and inverts regular then having to basically relearn how to wakeboard switch!