WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   1 Pro 485 vs set Pro 80's (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794257)

xstarrider 07-02-2012 8:31 PM

1 Pro 485 vs set Pro 80's

Guess audio video section is now more video. So hopefully thi i roght spot. WAs curuious on peoples thoughts of how these two compare to each other. I currently am running Rev 8's on my tower and upgraded from the pro 80's.

Me n a few guys are outfitting a club(x5) boat with some tunes and came across a couple deals one for the 80's and the other for a single pro 485. We have a Syn 2 laying around we are going to run it with so going 3 some off the Syn 2 is not an option. We are also using the boat on a small private lake to the 3 some would just be overkill and a half and again gonna be a club boat with multiple users so don't want to get crazy. We just slalom on it occasionally in the course.

If you had to recommend would you go single 485 or Pair pro 80's. Pro's and con's of going either way? The tower is an older zero flex flyer that is on an older X5. So there would only be room for a pair of 80's or a single 485 as well as te older style has some weird welds. The 80's would be mounted essentially in same location in the center as the 485 so thinking looks wont be too bad with single 485.

Our initial thoughts are that the 485 is easier on the eears near field but you would lose projection when compared to the 80's. However one guy mentioned the 485 would be seeing close to 400 rms bridged on the Syn 2 so that would kind of negate the projection deference as you would be pushing the 485 with a bit more power on the top end

cowwboy 07-02-2012 9:23 PM

Your guy is a little bit off. A syn2 (arc 300.2) is more around 800W to the 485 so very stout.
I'd go with the single 485. I've had 80's, a pair of 485's and currently a pair of 410's and the dual midbass are my favorite so far.

Midnightv10 07-02-2012 11:13 PM

Cowboy,
Are you running your Rev410's full range?
It feels like I am not getting the mid bass you guys keep talking about..
It seem good but not great?

I'm running a Syn 2 to each on high pass

wetsounds1 07-03-2012 6:59 AM

I would opt for the single 485. It is better matched with the SYN-2 you have. The SYN-2 will do 700x1 at 4 ohms mono. In stereo it will do 200x2 to the PRO 80's. 200 to each PRO 80 is good but they really come alive when you get to 300 to 400. Off a SYN-4 for example. So being with the amp you have, you will be getting the most power in mono. 700 vs 400. Plus on that tower a single will look OK. Some towers it looks odd. But since you have to mount the 80's close as well. I would just go for what works best with amp you have.

midnight, what is the crossover set on? Should be high pass (not full range) but high pass around 60 hz is a good place to start. With larger drivers you can run it lower than most but still want high pass as you dont need tower speakers trying to play 30 hz sub bass notes. Make sure you have the X1 button out for X1. If it is on x10, you will be multiplying what freq the adjustment is on by 10. So 55 x10 equals 550 Hz. Since you have two SYN-2. make sure yoiur switch is on bridged and the rca into the R on each amp. Make sure you are R+ and L- on the speaker side and make sure bass boost is off. Then tune the system and gain.

Also, with the larger drivers like the REV 10 and REV 410. They like some break in time.

Tim
Wet Sounds

Midnightv10 07-03-2012 8:34 AM

Thanks Tim.. I currently have everything set up the way you described so it sounds like I am at least on the right track. How long is the "break in period"? I have about 8 hours on the speakers now.

xstarrider 07-03-2012 9:45 AM

Thanks for he info all the single 485 we had our eye on sold even though the guy said he would hold it for us til tonight. Gotta love it....I guess a gentleman's agreement no longer holds. New Pro 80's it is since WS is closing them out. We are gonna sell the Syn 2 and then grab a less expensive 4 channel to bridge and throw around 350-400 at the Pro 80's. this way we can throw some extra cash from he sale of the Syn 2 to the 80's. Seems to be the ideal as I have the Syn 4 pushing my Rev's.

wetsounds1 07-03-2012 10:13 AM

midnight. give them a bit more time. i like about 15 hours. figure a good weekend our with them at good level.

then you can do a quick re tune and get them where you want them

xstar. Yes the PRO 80 white sale is a great deal right now. Sounds like your on the right track getting them a bit more power. You can take a look at our new HT-4. Bridged it will do 300x2 and sound great on a pair of 80's. MSRP is $449

Tim
Wet Sounds

cowwboy 07-03-2012 1:04 PM

Russ,
Mine is set up like tim suggested.
It all depends on the freq range of the song but when we first set them up we played with a few different songs, you could stand on the swim deck and feel the music in your chest.
It's not like the sub that shakes your whole body but more like a open air rock concert.
I've had mine since memorial day and am out every weekend. They are starting to break in and wow they are getting deeper and better.

xstarrider 07-04-2012 3:57 PM

Do the ht series amps have the forced air cooling fans? Can u give some insight on the Ht 4 vs the Syn 4 comparison. I understand the g/ h. Vs d class, but am just curios as to what the reason for the ht line is as its not far off price wise from the Syn series.

wetsounds1 07-05-2012 7:01 AM

xstarrider,

The HT amps are full range class D and completely sealed chassis. (not forced fan like the SYN amps) The SYN-4 is msrp $599 so there is $150 jump from the HT-4 to the SYN-4. The HT amps being completely sealed are great for wake boats but also UTV and Salt Water applications where sealed is the best option. http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/HT4_tech.html

You can see there is a lot of technology we put into the HT amps. So even though they are small in size, they have a lot going on.

Tim
Wet Sounds