WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Perfect pass advice/options (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800721)

gpd005 12-24-2013 8:50 AM

Perfect pass advice/options

We have a 1996 MB Sports Boss 210 and we really want to look at adding perfect pass to this. My wife would be a lot more willing to drive if we have this so i'm looking into this as a possible winter mod to our ride. Can anyone give me some good places to start looking for tips/tricks on this? Our boat is still carburated so i'm not sure how much of a difference that makes but i'm sure it is different than the fueld injected boats. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

And i'm not sold/loyal on the perfect pass brand i'm just looking for something affordable and relativly easy to operate, it doesn't have to be the latest and greatest thing out there, i just want something that my wife can hammer down and it will hold the speed for her till i go down.

trayson 12-24-2013 9:25 AM

I think you should look into acquiring perfect pass wakeboard pro. That's what I have. I have a '92 PCM 351 that has a throttle cable. It's expensive but it's really a great thing to have. My wife's gotten to be a damn good boat driver and PP was quite helpful in that.

Mine has a paddlewheel which is appropriate since we always ride on a river with currents. For simplicity, the GPS stargazer models mean you don't have to cut a hole in your hull for the paddlewheel installation.

The guys at PP are great as far as troubleshooting and customer service.

redsupralaunch 12-24-2013 11:01 AM

New Castle Indiana:confused: I did not know that anyone wakeboards there.

Just kidding: I coach Ball State Team at the WaterBowl. I have driven many tournaments over the years with all kinds of different boats. Perfect Pass has one of the best customer service departments in the entire marine industry. They truly have the experience not to look at another brand. Stargazer which is the GPS system from Perfect Pass is what you want for our water around here. Specific to your boat, I just did an old 87 Supra with a 351W and Holley Carb. It handles the slalom course perfect along with up to 2000K ballast for wakeboarding and locks on even on our 1700ft lake.

email me at h2obug@comcast.net if you want info on to get on the WaterBowl

phathom 12-24-2013 3:23 PM

+1 on both of those, but it's better if you get one, it is better to get the kind of pickup based on what you are riding on.
If it's a lake or some place without current, the GPS is the way to go, and it is easier to install. If you mainly ride on a river that has current, like we do here on the Columbia, it is worth getting the paddle wheel installed.
The GPS does what a GPS should and tracks your speed based on it's geographic position on the planet. This is generally good, but in the case of riding where there is a current, aka most rivers, the speed will not be accurate.
For example, if you are trying to ride at 20mph with a stargazer against a 5mph current, it would see the boat as going 5mph slower (which it is) and make the boat actually travel at 20mph, but with the added speed of the current against the rider the rider would essentially be pulled at 25mph.
If you did this with a paddle wheel, it would read the 5mph from the current and adjust the boats speed to around 15mph to make the overall pulling speed 20mph.
The GPS ones will get you pretty close on a river, but won't be as accurate with a current. You may have to adjust the speed a little bit depending on current conditions.
20mph with no current in one part of the river at one part of the day might be 25mph with going downstream and 15mph going upstream different parts of the day.
Then again on a lake with no current, the GPS will be the most accurate.

illini88 12-24-2013 4:29 PM

contact Ian over at onlyinboards.com. His email is ian@onlyinboards.com He's great to work with. The install is pretty easy, particularly on a direct drive. For me, the biggest pain was taking apart the dash, but it was totally worth it.

gpd005 12-27-2013 7:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redsupralaunch (Post 1856902)
New Castle Indiana:confused: I did not know that anyone wakeboards there.

Just kidding: I coach Ball State Team at the WaterBowl. I have driven many tournaments over the years with all kinds of different boats. Perfect Pass has one of the best customer service departments in the entire marine industry. They truly have the experience not to look at another brand. Stargazer which is the GPS system from Perfect Pass is what you want for our water around here. Specific to your boat, I just did an old 87 Supra with a 351W and Holley Carb. It handles the slalom course perfect along with up to 2000K ballast for wakeboarding and locks on even on our 1700ft lake.

email me at h2obug@comcast.net if you want info on to get on the WaterBowl

Chris, nice to see another local on here!

And thanks to everyone for the info, looks like Perfect Pass is exactly what we need.

lifetimewarranty 12-31-2013 12:01 PM

I put stargazer on my first boat - a Sanger DLX. Super easy install and worked really great. I prefer the paddlewheel on my Mastercraft now for reasons mentioned above...but I'd never install a paddle wheel myself (too chicken to cut a hole in the bottom of the boat)