WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   UFC 116: Lesnar Vs Carwin - Biggest UFC Ever? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781166)

buffalow 06-30-2010 11:35 AM

UFC 116: Lesnar Vs Carwin - Biggest UFC Ever?

The wait is over. The undisputed UFC heavyweight championship will be on the line when Brock Lesnar makes his long-awaited return to the Octagon to defend his world title against interim beltholder Shane Carwin in a clash of titans nearly a year in the making.

Carwin has destroyed each of his 12 opponents in less than a round; Lesnar has been just as devastating in his victories over Randy Couture and Frank Mir. When these two heavyweight giants meet in the main event of UFC 116 for the most prestigious title in mixed martial arts, don’t blink.

Also, international superstar Yoshihiro Akiyama, who is unbeaten since 2005, takes on Chris "The Crippler" Leben in what promises to be an action-packed middleweight bout. UFC 116: Lesnar vs. Carwin, Saturday, July 3rd, live on pay-per-view from Las Vegas, Nevada.

Looks to be a decent card

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Chris Leben
Chris Lytle Vs. Matt Brown
Krzysztof Soszynski Vs.Stephan Bonnar
George Sotiropoulos Vs. Kurt Pellegrino
Brendan Schaub Vs. Chris Tuchscherer
Kendall Grove Vs. Goran Reljic

Plus some of the preliminary fights are on Spike Free. And the Weigh in Tomorrow is also Free on spike.

So Is it? They are now saying the winner of this is the best heavyweight in the world with Fedor losing last week.What do you all think?

I think Carwin 2nd round knockout!

BCPMike0663 06-30-2010 12:22 PM

Everyone that I have talked to is picking Carwin. I read last week that Lesnar is already 265 and does not have to cut weight. I think that is a bad sign because for once he may be the smaller man. I don't know why, but I still want Lesnar to win but I think Carwin is going to take him out. The rest of the card looks OK. I was looking on UFC.com and UFC 118 looks to have a stacked card.

phatboypimp 06-30-2010 1:04 PM

I am all about Carwin, the much more seasoned fighter. They are both the same size and athletic for their size but damn Carwin knocks people OUT. Both are decent wrestlers so I see it going carwins way via knock out. Lesnars chin has never been tested but Carwin can take a punch. Unless Lesnar can pull out some GNP on Carwin, I see Carwin by KO. Certainly the best HW fight we have seen in years from an anticipation standpoint and the biggest fight for both guys. If you get a chance, make sure to watch the Countdown to 116, very insightful.

jeff_mn 06-30-2010 2:06 PM

^^

Wasn't Carwin dropped by feather fists Gonzaga? Lesnar has never been down.

Should be a great scrap. I'm from MN so I should root for Lesnar - but Carwin has won me over since he started posting on the UG. That dude is hilarious and such a good cat.

onthewatermo 06-30-2010 7:13 PM

Carwin knows what a Malibu is and posts regularly on mma.tv forum. Brock is trying to establish himself as THE alpha male.
Carwin has my cheers but if it comes down to a slugfest, Brock will win (recall what Randy Couture had to say about his fists).

poser007 07-01-2010 1:08 AM

IMO Carwin is alot more well rounded then Lesnar. Proven knock out power and has a great wrestling back ground. All indicators would point to a Carwin win. Although, that would be if he was fighting a normal MMA Heavy weight which he isn't. Lesnar is a phenom, strong as an ox and as dumb as they come. That being said, I highly doubt Carwin is going to stop this fight in the first round. Lesnar is much to big and powerful for Carwin to finish him that quick, and something tells me Lesnar can take a punch.

I don't know why but I really like Lesnar, let's be honest he has no real MMA skills, heck he could have taken Mirs back more times then Tiger woods cheated on his wife but failed to do so because his BJJ is non existant. Lesanr wins on shear strength size and athletisism. I will be routing for Lesnar in this one,
BTW who did Fedor lose to? Had no idea he lost.

jefefitz 07-01-2010 1:11 AM

he lost to werdoom. fedor caught him but followed him to the ground and got caught in a triangle after escaping an armbar

chris4x4gill2 07-01-2010 4:55 AM

Just watched the Coutdown last night. I really want to watch this fight, but I'll be out of town so I dont know if I will be able to. I'm looking for Carwin to win it.

buffalow 07-01-2010 7:26 AM

Chris - You did'nt hear it from me - But if you got a computer with you check out websites like www.channelsurfing.net, which show almost every pay-per-view and sports shows for free. I have watched a few fights this way and it's ok. Not the same, but fills the need if you just want to see one fight.

the UFC has put a huge crack down on sites like facebook and youtube in showing their fights, AS THEY SHOULD. So search around and see if there are any around.

lizzyb 07-01-2010 8:37 AM

We watch a lot of fights on channelsurfing.net. Yep, I said it! Sue me Dana. Monthly pay-per-views for lackluster cards is just too much.

We're buying this one. I don't know why really... I guess I hope I will see Lesnar get his ass kicked on the big screen.

I really like Carwin. Seems like such a great guy. Lesnar is a white trash tool. YUCK. Come on Carwin!

chris4x4gill2 07-01-2010 9:09 AM

Thanks for the tip guys. We actually have Braves/Marlins tickets for Sat night but I'll be giving up my seat if one fo the kiddo's changes their minds and wants to go. If that happens maybe I can sneak out to a bar for the fight. Else I'll be stealing some WIFI and trying out channelsurfing

mendo247 07-01-2010 9:17 AM

Look for Lesnar to bull rush, takedown and pound the s**t out of Carwin! I'll be buiying this when I get back into town on Monday for sure. I usually buy every pay per view. I enjoy the sport and like paying my share so the UFC can continue signing the best fighters in the world. Dont really have a problem with people watching it online though. Kinda like in the ol days when people had the cards you could put in your cable box and get all the channels for free lol

BCPMike0663 07-01-2010 9:44 AM

After watching the Countdown. Brock still looks pretty big. I might be changing my mind. I think Brock has a pretty good shot. He looked much bigger then Carwin when they were both in the ring together after the Carwin- Mir fight.

phatboypimp 07-01-2010 12:57 PM

Mike you have to choose Lesnar or we wont have anything to bet on. Looks like I am gonna head out to Tulloch on Saturday Morning, spend the day at the lake (with whoever will hang out with me) and head to your place for the fight.....if that is cool. We need to lay out our bets for the entire card!!!

BCPMike0663 07-01-2010 1:32 PM

Phat,
Sounds like a plan! Nothing like some UFC, Gambling and BL if that isn't patriotic for the fourth then I don't know what is. We are installing lights tommorrow so we can get some night beer pong action going.

mendo247 07-01-2010 3:27 PM

117 AND 118 are both killer cards! Its gonna be a good summer of fights..

BCPMike0663 07-01-2010 3:29 PM

UFC 117 is on my birthday. That is going to be a party, hopefully with Silvia going down!

buffalow 07-01-2010 3:37 PM

Hey Mike, It's Buffalow.

I am tied up the next week or so, but looking to get my Tomcat to Tulloch to start logging some big hours.

Hit me up personally to see what your schedule is.

Fatty - You too if you ride out there a bunch

jb@bufac.com

phatboypimp 07-01-2010 9:10 PM

I am down......I want to check out the Tomcat

poser007 07-01-2010 10:23 PM

I don't know why,I really want to see Brock knock Carwin out or take him to the ground and keep him there.

lizzyb 07-02-2010 8:08 AM

Watched the countdown last night...

HOW does Lesnar look so much bigger than Carwin? Is he shorter? Carwin wears bigger gloves and weighs the same.. but looks 50 pounds smaller to me. WTF?

poser007 07-02-2010 8:11 AM

Carwin probably has a bigger frame with less muschle on it. Brock is very thick and built like an ox. Iv'e seen Carwin listed at 6'3 6'4 and nw 6'5 for the hype. I believe he is probably 6'3. Still can't believe Fedor let himself get caught.

lizzyb 07-02-2010 11:03 AM

Wikipedia lists Lesnar at 6'3 and 265 pounds with an 81 inch reach.

They list Carwin as 6'2 and 265 pounds with an 80 inch reach.

HOW does Brock look like a much larger man?? Weird!

I am interested to see them next to each other at the weigh-ins.

clubjoe 07-02-2010 11:30 AM

I know a guy who grew up with Lesnar and is still hangs out with him...... From what I hear he is a stronger faster Lesnar than the one before his drop from the UFC limelight..... I'm really looking forward to seeing this fight, but not really expecting it to be past 2 rounds :D

poser007 07-02-2010 1:16 PM

Joe you can't make a statement like that without letting us know you you are taking in this fight?

clubjoe 07-02-2010 1:35 PM

Sup Daniel!
(BTW I still need to get with you on that website stuff if still an option)

I think it's gonna come down to what kind of fight it turns out to be....... I would say if they stand and swing it will go to Carwin in 1 or early 2, but if Lesnar makes it a ground fight he'll win in 3 by slow painful death.

If it goes past 3 (HA HA HA.......), Lesnar by superior conditioning will control the ring for the win.

My buddy says Lesnar hired a big Div 1 wrestling coach, and has changed his diet and workout. All healed up without surgery and supposedly heavier fighting weight, faster and lower body fat %.

I'm just hoping Carwin doesn't get a solid lucky punch in early......

jcfox00 07-02-2010 1:55 PM

Lesnar looks bigger because he has such a huge head! haha he looks like an ape or robot or something. I'm from MN so I'm taking Lesnar, but I think it could go either way. gonna be a good one...

notsobueno 07-02-2010 5:05 PM

You guys are missing the action IMO. Pellegrino vs. Sotiropoulos is gonna be fight of the night. You heard that first here. This is the fight I'm MOST excited for.

Carwin / Lesnar is gonna be fun too. If it stays standing, there will be a KO. Ground, you have to go with Lesnar. Should be a really good HW fight for a change.

notsobueno 07-02-2010 5:06 PM

OH, and Lytle vs. Brown will be a great fight too.

Trust me.

barry 07-03-2010 10:29 PM

I hate Lesner. He's never been hit as hard as Carwin hit him...I'm disappointed that Carwin didn't pace himself better.

poser007 07-03-2010 11:47 PM

Barry I was really impressed with how hard Lesnar got pounded and weathered the storm. IMO I would say that tonight was the greatest set of fights I have ever had the priviege of watching. All i can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

barry 07-04-2010 12:09 AM

I do not disagree, Flight.. but, I will never give Lesner props..I cannot stand him. He is disrespectful and brings shame to the sport.

notsobueno 07-04-2010 9:09 AM

Ok, here are the bonuses:

Lesnar = $75k for SUB of the night
Harris = $75k for KO of the night (amazing slam)
Leben / Akiyama + Bonnar / Sozynski + $75k each for FIGHT of the night

Now, if they're gonna give fight of the night bonuses to two different sets of fighters, there has to be two other SUB of the night bonuses for Lytle and Leben. Brock's sub was by far the most unexpected submission in the history of mma, so it certainly deserves bonus money. Leben's submission was an amazing comeback thing of beauty in itself, unexpected, but not nearly as much as Brock's. Keeping in mind that Akiyama initially didn't want to face Leben on short notice because he wasn't a 'big enough name'...I am so glad Leben won that fight for that reason alone. Lytle's sub, was a technical thing of beauty IMO. Lytle is so darn good on the ground, the way he stands and bangs makes everyone forget about that seemingly every fight.

Amazing night of fights. Every televised fight was quite exciting in some way or another. I took my nephew in law to watch this card...his first UFC event (He's 29), and what a great card to break into watching MMA!!!

onthewatermo 07-04-2010 10:30 AM

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma....&page=1&pc=111
...Shane is already posting post-fight thanks and thoughts including:
Quote:

For me I am going to do a signing today and then head home to be with my family and spend a little quality time on the lakes in my Malibu Boat.
He's the man, man.

poser007 07-04-2010 11:23 AM

yeah I am still buzzing over the qualtity of last nights gate. i mean honestly, that card got me excited again about watching UFC again.. From Lytles sub to Bonnars toughness to Lesnar getting a pounding and then coming back and submitting Carwin what a freaking awesome night of fights. Barry believe me, I can understand your distain for Lesnar.

I think the reason i like him somuch is this. Lesnar came into the UFC with really no MMA back ground and very little training. Because of his shear size strength and athletisim he is able to win fights in a dominant fashion. I find it ironic that Couture, Mir, Herring and Carwin who I will admit have a better game then Lesnar all went down to defeat.

I mean Lesnar is some what of a phenom, not to mention the huge right he took from Carwin that has knocked out every other opponent and the elbows from the top and still weathered the round. So now we know Lesnar has a chin, not goodfor the other heavy weights. Imagine if Lesnar had been doing MMA for say 10 years? He would be unstoppable.

notsobueno 07-04-2010 12:06 PM

I can't wait to see Cain vs. Lesnar. Cain has equally if not better pure wrestling. Cain is quicker than anyone Lesnar will face. The size difference will be the key....how will Cain be able to handle it? Will he bulk up like Mir did? I really can't wait.

poser007 07-04-2010 8:16 PM

Dave I actually really like Cain. It's gonna be interesting. Lesnar will out weigh Cain by atleast 40 lbs. If I were Cain i would not try and grapple with a gorrilla like Brock. Cain has much better stand up then Lesnar does. IMO the only real chance Cain has is staying away from the take down and fighting on his feet. Once Lesnar is on top of you you just aint getting up plain and simple. Honestly i would much rather see Cain & Carwin fight, i think it would be much more entertaining. Aside from the bizzare sub last night, Lesnar is pretty much one dementional, but he is so damn big and strong nobody had found an anser to him yet. I also want to say huge props to Lytle, Lebon and Bonnar good Lord those guys gave us a great night of fights. Can u tell I amstill stoked over it?????? LOl

pnichols 07-05-2010 8:34 AM

I haven't read any of the post fight comment, cause I didn't see the fight live, and am wanting to watch it now. I went to channelsurfing.net, but cant figure out how to watch the fight. Any help wpuld be appreciated.

buffalow 07-06-2010 7:52 AM

Great night of fights. Man I am so disappointed that Carwin ran out of gas. On his defense he has not seen the second round in his professional career. The whole night of fights was great thought.

With Junior DeSantos and Cain in the wings there are some great challengers lined up, but really Carwin is the best match for Lesner.

Keep in mind Randy controlled/muscled Brock in their fight pretty easily. So if Cain goes after that strategy, plus his speed, he has a solid chance.

BCPMike0663 07-06-2010 8:53 AM

I loved the whole card. The Bonner fight was so awsome. Talk about just an old fashion throw down!! Did you guys see the slam that Harris put on in the prelims. That was one of the most impressive slams that I have ever scene.
And the main event was just insane. Everyone at my house was rooting against Lesnar except for me. And really I thought they were going to stop it. I was very impressed that Brock was able to finish with a submission.
On paper the next couple cards look like they should be just as good if not better lets hope so.

notsobueno 07-06-2010 4:16 PM

Salaries:

Brock Lesnar: $400,000 (no win bonus)
def. Shane Carwin: $40,000

Chris Leben: $86,000 ($43,000 win bonus)
def. Yoshihiro Akiyama: $45,000

Chris Lytle: $52,000 ($26,000 win bonus)
def. Matt Brown: $10,000

Stephan Bonnar: $50,000 ($25,000 win bonus)
def. Krzysztof Soszynski: $10,000

George Sotiropoulos: $24,000 ($12,000 win bonus)
def. Kurt Pellegrino: $25,000

Brendan Schuab: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus)
def. Chris Tuchscherer: $12,000

Ricardo Romero: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)
def. Seth Petruzelli: $10,000

Kendall Grove: $50,000 ($25,000 win bonus)
def. Goran Reljic: $5,000

Gerald Harris: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus)
def. David Branch: $6,000

Daniel Roberts: $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus)
def. Forrest Petz: $6,000

Jon Madsen: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)
def. Karlos Vemola: $8,000

poser007 07-06-2010 6:33 PM

How pathetic are those payouts? I mean seriously they need to get a union going. Dana White and the whatever brothers are making a killing and they pay Shane Carwin $40,000? Not to mention lesnar who pretty much is the biggest draw in MMA right now only getting $400,000 with no win bonus.

mjfan23 07-06-2010 7:20 PM

Thats why boxing, a dying sport, is still king..

One fight Brock makes under half a million dollars.... one fight Floyd makes 40 million.

BCPMike0663 07-06-2010 8:55 PM

I want the fighters to make money but I don't want a union and I don't want it to become like boxing. The reason the good fights get made it because one company controls the fighters. It might not be great for the fighters but it is the best deal for the fans otherwise you are gonna have Don King running all over ruining everything.

phatboypimp 07-07-2010 5:46 PM

I can't comment on the Lesnar/Carwin fight.....other than Carwin got paid too much money for gassing in the first round. I am so pissed I can hardly stand it. I personally don't think Dos Santos or Cain have a chance against Lesnar, our only hope is the Carwin learns to pace himself and potentially finds a conditioning coach. I honestly can't believe how little these fighters make, I know they get paid by the sponsors, but for the love of god give these guys some of the PPV/Gate money. Great night of fights overall and eventually I will get over the Carwin loss, but BCPMike is a great host and I can't think of a better place to watch the fight.