WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Is Winching on Wakeboards Legit? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781828)

TelepromptedAnthems 07-20-2010 1:53 PM

Is Winching on Wakeboards Legit?

Let the firestorm begin...

http://www.alliancewake.com/wake/is-...eboards-legit/

behindtheboat 07-20-2010 2:03 PM

I just think it's lame you called people out on here, sort of a cheap shot in my mind..

it's legit, fun, a different aspect of the great pastime of wakeboarding

denverd1 07-20-2010 2:07 PM

Firestorm? Pretty funny that this is even debatable.

Do what you want, where you want. If a winch helps ya get it done, then rock on.

ilikebeaverandboats 07-20-2010 2:11 PM

allows for a whole different side of the sport, and for sure can help you with sliders and stuff like that. why wouldnt it be legit? its a blast haha.

brainrinse 07-20-2010 2:39 PM

As I watched that vid I just kept thinking "this looks like fun but it's really boring to watch." Imagine my surprise when there was a voting option for exactly that!

One of the most fun times I've ever had was snowboarding behind an SUV with a wakeboard rope attached to the hitch. After a month of record snowfall and a fresh foot of snow that hadn't been plowed, it was literally like living a dream. I don't care one bit if it's "legit" because it was a frickin blast. Doesn't mean that if we had recorded it that you'd want to watch it though...

devildog_ra 07-20-2010 2:55 PM

i have a couple questions that should answer this for each individual
1. do you like cable wakeboarding?
if so then you also like winch wakeboarding
2. do you like wakeboarding
if so then you also like winch wakeboarding

end of story

dakid 07-20-2010 3:06 PM

wakeskaters will probably knock it.

steezyshots 07-20-2010 3:18 PM

I have personally witnessed probably the garliest thing to ever go down on a wakeboard and he was being pulled by a pulldozer winch...

07-20-2010 7:55 PM

apples to oranges. two different things. i like watching people winch new and creative things.

Cisco 07-20-2010 8:56 PM

In terms of competition, the winch is pretty lame compared to a system 2.0, but both are still 'legit'.

But look at it this way. If some one landed a 12 off a kicker getting pulled by a winch would it be legit? No way! Winches are only good for a quick stunt over a waterfall, gap, rail, etc or for people who don't have access to a system 2, cable, or boat.

I think winches are gonna decline in popularity because of system 2's popping up everywhere, not that winches ever were popular in the first place.

mckenna 07-20-2010 9:15 PM

the thing about winching is how long it takes. it is so boring going to a demo, seeing someone take off, hit the rail, fall, then someone has to walk the handle all the way back to the start., takes ages to see a few good hits. doesnt keep me amused for long.

ilikebeaverandboats 07-20-2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckenna (Post 1611310)
the thing about winching is how long it takes. it is so boring going to a demo, seeing someone take off, hit the rail, fall, then someone has to walk the handle all the way back to the start., takes ages to see a few good hits. doesnt keep me amused for long.

yea, watching is cool for a little bit, but its def something way more fun to DO :D

hyperlite 07-21-2010 4:22 AM

pop corn....

spearing 07-21-2010 5:33 AM

i like to winch surf...........

Shredable11 07-21-2010 9:31 AM

floodthecityblog.com.

fly135 07-21-2010 11:04 AM

IMO, too much work for too little riding. But if you don't have a boat or a cable then it's the next best thing.

waterdork88 07-21-2010 1:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cisco (Post 1611300)
In terms of competition, the winch is pretty lame compared to a system 2.0, but both are still 'legit'.

But look at it this way. If some one landed a 12 off a kicker getting pulled by a winch would it be legit? No way! Winches are only good for a quick stunt over a waterfall, gap, rail, etc or for people who don't have access to a system 2, cable, or boat.

I think winches are gonna decline in popularity because of system 2's popping up everywhere, not that winches ever were popular in the first place.

Forgive me, my extimates may not be spot on but I think they're reasonably close. A System 2.0 costs about $30,000. Which is insanley affordable when you consider wake boats can vary from $38,000-$100,000. But a winch costs anywhere from $600-$2,000. If someone wanted to get into wakeboarding and didn't have a ton of money... investing in a winch would be there best bet for getting out there and riding on a regular basis.

I don't understand why a 12 off a kicker pulled by a winch wouldn't be legit. What if that same person didn't have access to a system 2, cable, or boat?

Cisco 07-21-2010 7:41 PM

Sure a System 2.0 costs about $30,000 but how much is it gonna cost for 500 ft of waterfront or a property with a large pond. Maybe$100,000. For a person living in a city or a suburb, the System 2.0 is not practical because where can you use it? Keep in mind that it takes 2 days to set up and 1 day to take down. A boat is cheaper to use than a System 2.0 cuz don't need your own property for a boat cuz since can just launch the boat and go ride.

Spins off kickers are not legit cuz you can spin early. People were spinning off wakes first, so that is the standard way to spin. Plus its way harder. If wakeboarding started with kickers instead of wakes, only then would it be legit to spin off kickers. And then I suppose winching would be legit too, in theory.

Cisco 07-21-2010 7:44 PM

Oh yeah. If they don't have access to a system 2, cable or boat, then I hate to say it but their spins arent legit. That's capitalism for you. We can't all be rich.

cheesydog 07-21-2010 7:49 PM

I think a 12 off a kicker pulled by a winch would be even more impressive, winching definitely is not "easier" in any way than other types of pulls, if anything its the most erratic.

Having said that I agree with pretty much all the points above, winching is good for specific one hit type deals in out of the way locations. As a regular pull or for comps or demos it gets old. Sys 2.0/Lil Bro type systems are the way forward.

waterdork88 07-21-2010 9:12 PM

Mentioning the prices of the boat and system 2.0 is basically my argument for thinking there won't be a decline in winching... at least I hope not.

I wouldn't say its way easier to spin off a kicker, its different. You have to consider having the option of landing on the downside of the wake vs. no matter what youre landing on flatwater. If it was way easier I think we would see many different variations of spins off kickers that we haven't seen off the wake yet. And for the most part, the variations of spins are the same.

A 12 off a kicker pulled by a winch isn't legit? Thats like saying if someone does a 900 on a skateboard across the mega ramp... its not legit... But if they did it on the quarter pipe or a halfpipe, then its legit because thats where the 900 originated from.

All of this "legit" stuff is really funny to me. Whatever happened to riding for fun?

dakid 07-21-2010 9:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterdork88 (Post 1611912)
All of this "legit" stuff is really funny to me.

i agree. people need to get the "legit" chip off their shoulders and remember why they started riding in the first place.

nuckledragger 07-21-2010 10:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I wouldn't say there is anything non-legit about this. If people are able to go out and ride and it happens to be behind a winch, more power to them. If it is their only option then they are working with what they have and having fun while they do it. I think it is great to see people taking the sport to different areas.

Is snowboarding not legit when you see guys hitting hand rails at a snow covered school....I think not.

fly135 07-22-2010 7:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterdork88 (Post 1611912)
I wouldn't say its way easier to spin off a kicker, its different.

I'd say it's easier. But like anything you compare apples to apples. Spinning off a wake is not the same as spinning off a kicker. And "legit" is slang used only as a derogatory comment.

TelepromptedAnthems 07-22-2010 7:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fly135 (Post 1612069)
And "legit" is slang used only as a derogatory comment.

Not True: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdk1gwWH-Cg

dakid 07-22-2010 8:08 AM

i thought "illegit" was derogatory.

wake77 07-22-2010 8:20 AM

I think if you say something is "not legit", you are being derogatory.

fly135 07-22-2010 8:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TelepromptedAnthems (Post 1612080)

Since the context of the conversation eludes you, I'll be more precise. "Not legit" or the suggestion of not being legit is just used a derogatory comment.

TelepromptedAnthems 07-22-2010 8:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fly135 (Post 1612111)
Since the context of the conversation eludes you, I'll be more precise. "Not legit" or the suggestion of not being legit is just used a derogatory comment.

Since the concept of a joke eludes you, I'll be more precise. Get over yourself.

fly135 07-22-2010 10:20 AM

Good joke!

denverd1 07-23-2010 5:43 AM

Eric, those drops are sick.

It's all about taking it to the next level. Winch, 2.0, cable, whatever, bring it.

jarrod 07-23-2010 6:52 AM

this thread is hilarious.

tcaz 07-23-2010 8:00 AM

Do what you want and have fun doing it. I'm sure the people out there wakeboarding with a winch are enjoying themselves and could care less about anyone knocking them for it.

wake77 07-23-2010 8:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 6315

I think this photo should quiet anyone that says winching is not legit.

captain_vilfo 07-24-2010 5:41 AM

Ok if I saw someone do a 12 on a kicker, and they were getting pulled by a winch I'd probably go crazy, jump in the water, and try to hug the person for throwing down an insane trick that Im pretty sure none of us, including the people who judge whats "legit" or not can do lol

I think john got it right with the skateboard comparison. There are two more common types of skateboarding (street, vert) much like there are two common types of wakeboarding (boat, cable). Just because some kid can kickflip an 18 set but cant do a kick flip off a full size halfpipe doesnt mean his trick isn't legit. I've been fortuante enough to have ridden both cable and boat and in my honest opinion I felt them to be two completely different sports. Much like vert and street (I used to skate too lol) skating the concept is the same but the way you pull off your tricks is completely different. In the end the guy is on a board and he/she spun a frikin 1260.

wakemitch 07-24-2010 1:46 PM

Henry, the street/vert thingdoesnt make as much since with wakeboarding because you cant do shuvits and kickflips on a wakeboard, you are too limited. whats the point of winching with a wakeboard if you can wakeskate?

captain_vilfo 07-24-2010 2:42 PM

I wasnt talking about wakeskating, since it is a completely different sport. I was using vert/street skating as a reference to cable/boat wakeboarding in that altough the way street or vert skating is performed differs, they are still the same sport and the tricks are equally as "legit", same goes for cable or winch riding in comparison to boat riding.

You ask whats the point of wakeboarding with a winch, whats the point of winching with a wakeskate when you can just skateboard. So when you fall you dont gotta swim to the side, get the handle, walk all the way back to the start and attempt again lol

Cisco 07-25-2010 1:56 PM

I admit, a TS FS 12 off a kicker getting pulled by a winch would be pretty sick, but I'm also sure that people on this forum (God bless them) would be arguing that it is really a butter HS BS 10. Kicker spins are sometimes legit, but you really need to look at the spin frame by frame before you can count it. Most of the time people cheat on spins off kickers anyways. I consider wake spins 100% legit because you can't cheat by starting the spin early.

Winching sucks cuz you spend more time walking that riding, but they do open up a variety of options that are not practical for the system 2.0, cable, and boat. Is it legit? No way.

Most often winching is just a substitute for the real thing, which is boat or cable.

dakid 07-25-2010 5:02 PM

mitch, get that chip off your shoulder man. if people wanna wakeboard, let 'em be.

tro 07-25-2010 5:21 PM

i can't comprehend why someone would dog someone for doing something they enjoy doing by saying it's not legit. seems like the person doing the dogging just has a small dong or something. oh well, to each his own.

hockeysk8er222 07-25-2010 5:48 PM

In summary:
Wakeboarding at all=Legit

denverlove 07-26-2010 3:35 PM

I really hope this link works...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...7000855&ref=mf

Tino Santori winching in downtown Denver. SO LEGIT.