WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Axis 335 hp or 400hp raptor? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786534)

wakeboardin2k4 03-22-2011 9:36 AM

Axis 335 hp or 400hp raptor?

I'm looking at buying a new axis

I am gonna load this thing up with ballast and was wondering if you guys think the 335 hp with a different prop or should I spring for the 400 hp option

cjh1669 03-22-2011 9:40 AM

Go witht he 400 if you're planning on loading it up

bruizza 03-22-2011 9:49 AM

Get the 400hp engine. We have it and it is worth every penny! I know Chattwake ordered it in his 2011 because he plans on running a lot of ballast at times.

chattwake 03-22-2011 1:17 PM

The skinny is that the 335 is plenty motor for the axis with the plug n play option as long as you have the high altitude prop (unless you live in Denver or something). There may be times that the 335 requires you to have some people move to the front of the boat if you've got it slammed with weight. I don't plan on running my boat all the time with tons of weight, but when I do, I want it to pop out of the hole quick. Also, I wanted the extra hp because I think that a big motor can help resale value somewhat - depending on what market you're in.

If you're planning on getting the plug n play system and just running that from time to time, the 335 will work fine with the power prop. If you plan on running the system full every time you ride, and you can swing it, get the 400 just so you know you've got the nuts when you need it.

stepintoliquid 03-22-2011 1:56 PM

I run a SLAMMED Axis all summer long. The 335 hp does just fine with the right prop. Nothing wrong with having some extra power though. If you can swing it, the Raptor is a kick ass motor!

bruizza 03-22-2011 1:59 PM

Like Chatt said I guess it depends on the weight. If you plan to swap the PnP bags out for 750s or 1100s I would go Raptor 400. I am in Denver so the 400hp engine is a must. Our dealer won't even order an Axis with PnP with the standard engine. We are at 5k feet of altitude though and you lose 15% of your hp at this altitude. I guess give us your definition of "load this thing up with ballast" and we can help you out a little better.

wakeboardin2k4 03-22-2011 3:38 PM

Cool, thanks for the help guys.

How much extra is the raptor motor? The website doesn't list the price of each option when you do a "build"

It wont be running a slammed set up every time, but like chat said about wanting it to pop right up onto plane i feel the same way. But as we know some of the big motors in certain boats are overkill, so I figured Id consult with the experts aka you guys before making a decision on what motor to go with.

Plus I dont necessarily like the idea of running a really a 14.25 x 14.5 all the time. We do a fair amount of just being out on the lake and when we go to Lake Keowee in SC we will go the full 26 miles up lake and back in a couple times during the week and it seems like thats an awful lot of pitch and higher rpms.

cjh1669 03-22-2011 3:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeboardin2k4 (Post 1667454)
Cool, thanks for the help guys.

How much extra is the raptor motor? The website doesn't list the price of each option when you do a "build"

It wont be running a slammed set up every time, but like chat said about wanting it to pop right up onto plane i feel the same way. But as we know some of the big motors in certain boats are overkill, so I figured Id consult with the experts aka you guys before making a decision on what motor to go with.

Plus I dont necessarily like the idea of running a really a 14.25 x 14.5 all the time. We do a fair amount of just being out on the lake and when we go to Lake Keowee in SC we will go the full 26 miles up lake and back in a couple times during the week and it seems like thats an awful lot of pitch and higher rpms.

We drove 40 miles to bull frog marina, at lake powell, everyday. His has the acme 1235 and raptor. We avg'd about 43-45 mph and never hit the rev limitor.

I think it's about a 5k upgrade for the the raptor, I know that's what it is for the 410hp engine for the malibus. If you have the budget I'd go for it. If you're running a slammed boat wiht lots of people then you'll need it. Bruizzas is about 5 more hp than yours at alt, and he's said when it's a full boat and slammed it has some problems getting on plane

bruizza 03-22-2011 7:40 PM

5k to upgrade to the raptor. Like Chris said when the boat is slammed with people and ballast our raptor still has some issues getting on plane. Keep in mind though we are at over 5k feet of elevation. Oh and for reference slammed for us was full plug and play and 12 people in the boat with a rider behind it. I drained the ballast for literally ~10 seconds and it planed out no problem. No wedge with that much weight obviously. Wake was freaking HUGE though.