WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NC Riding season (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795731)

Wake08 09-29-2012 3:53 AM

NC Riding season

So the talk is slowly starting to mention the inevitable winter. I'm wondering how late people can/do push riding in NC (Raleigh-ish area).

King12 09-29-2012 8:26 PM

Well if you're talking about cable I think Hexagon will be open into october, and if we can keep bringing them business then they will stay open.
In the boat i guess it depends on your limits. I just went up to Kerr Lake in Virginia last week and the morning was a bit chilly but really not bad after 9 am, so i had to take off my wetsuit for being so hot
i would say depending on your own cold naturedness and if you have your own boat, and of course this north carolina weather, some years it gets very cold quick and others not really. But I definitely plan on suiting up and wake boarding until Hexagon wont let me in anymore. And being a college student I dont really have a boat so i guess that will be when i have to throw in the towel for the year.

King12 09-29-2012 8:27 PM

But i could see very feasibly riding through november, and really if you are committed enough dry suit up and go all year haha

matty_gs 09-29-2012 9:06 PM

Yeah, back in 2007, we drysuited and rode every month. In January, we actually put a wetsuit on, then a drysuit over top. Those were cold days.

King12 09-29-2012 9:11 PM

^^ dedication

jonblarc7 10-02-2012 6:45 AM

I try to make it until the end of november every year with just a heater top but I don't like real cold water. So I finish up the season at Belews creek which is heated!!!!!!!!!!!!

boardjnky4 10-02-2012 8:13 AM

Late october should be do-able. This cold rain water sure isn't helping though.

I have a 3/2 that I will wear into ~65 degree water. Any colder than that and I'm out. I'll get my snowboard gear together around that time lol.

swamp_fox 10-03-2012 7:37 AM

crossing my fingers for a semi-warm winter similar to last year...

Wake08 10-03-2012 11:39 AM

Good to know there are people around still pushing the season. Shoot me a PM if anyone ever needs an extra rider / boat hand ;)

Andrew14 10-04-2012 3:12 PM

I moved to Charlotte, NC two years ago (last year was the first year having a boat - bought it in April 2011) and have ridden almost every weekend since purchasing my boat (trunked it until around mid November last year, wetsuit until mid January, then dry suit until early March, back to wetsuit until mid April, then trunking it again). Provided you have the right gear, its pretty easy to ride year round in NC (keep the boat in the garage - so no winterizing which helps).

glasgow 10-09-2012 1:13 PM

Yeah as mentioned before it depends on how quick the cold weather comes in, but we seem to make it to atleast end on Nov. every year with shorts and a heater shirt... i gave up the drysuits and wetsuits years ago. I ride then get in and change nowadays..... We go to Hyco Lake which is also heated. The water was 82 last Sat.

Wake08 10-09-2012 6:22 PM

I'm a little jealous, we were down to 72 on Jordan on Saturday

glasgow 10-10-2012 5:19 AM

Chris, Yeah man it was as low as 73 on one end and 82 was the warmest on the end near the power plant..... Come on up and ride at Hyco sometime. There is riding going on almost year round there if it happens to be a nice day or two in Jan. Feb...... By end of March it's back to bussiness as usual. I've only been to Jordan one time, and that years ago.

skillz 10-10-2012 6:38 PM

Mid 70's next few days and water temp at Falls low 70's, I hope I can ride the next few days.

SDEndurance 10-10-2012 10:00 PM

wait, a heated lake? how does that work?

Wake08 10-11-2012 3:32 AM

SDE - a lot of power plants use lakes for cooling. When the steam has gone through the generators and needs to be cooled back down they run it in pipes alongside cool lake water, which condenses the water used by the plant and the natural water then goes back into the lake to cool naturally. This, in effect, heats the overall lake, especially the part near the plant (which is awesome in winter when no one is on the lake and you have it all to yourself).

Michael / Rodney - I'm a professional boat mooch, good for gas. driving and helping out, and I'm always looking for a ride. send me an e-mail when you guys go out if you ever need another rider! asoute98@yahoo.com

PS, I'll be up at Falls this Sunday, hopefully I see you guys out on the water!

boardjnky4 10-11-2012 6:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDEndurance (Post 1789008)
wait, a heated lake? how does that work?

Nuclear Power Plant. They circulate water into the plant to cool down the reactors, so hot water gets constantly recycled back into the lake.

jesutton 10-11-2012 8:52 AM

Hyco is coal not nuke.

jonblarc7 10-12-2012 6:37 AM

Belews isn't either