WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through March 22, 2007 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=428157)
-   -   How Often Do You Get a New Board? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425036)

woohoo 03-17-2007 11:46 AM

How often does everyone replace their board? If you do replace your board why, besides it just breaking. <BR>I'm only asking because it seems like people replace their boards all the time and I am still riding my first board, For example I am riding an 05 Freemotion, does a new board have anything better than what I'm riding right now?

carcrz 03-17-2007 11:50 AM

I am looking for a secondary board right now. It's not because anything's wrong w/ my current board, it's just for variety. Every board has a personality of its own.

hyperlink 03-17-2007 11:50 AM

every year, just because i get a great deal and i like the atmosphere effect of all my old boards hanging on the wall of my bar area in my basement..

03-17-2007 12:08 PM

I usually get one every other year. My main reason for replacing my board is just to switch things up a bit and try something new.

nickbot 03-17-2007 2:26 PM

i sometimes buy a new board in late winter because i know it will still be a long time before I can ride and...well...it makes me feel better about that. it's a horrible reason but long michigan winters end sooner with a new board to stare at.

closedtoe 03-17-2007 2:59 PM

I buy a new board every 3 or so years. Same with bindings. I'm going to get a new board this year.

stephan 03-17-2007 3:35 PM

I used to get a new board every two years. As a broke student i'd get boots one year, board the next. It always kept me in some new gear &amp; happy with my setup. Now I get a new setup every year. If you ride a lot, boards will break down &amp; lose their pop. Its hard to tell but I know every year I compare my new board's flex to the old one, its the same board/shape but not ridden, its crazy how much a years abuse breaks a core down.

xtremebordgurl 03-17-2007 3:49 PM

I get a new one every other year or every couple of years. I feel like if I got a new one every year I'd be wasting the money I spent the previous year.

woohoo 03-18-2007 11:59 AM

That's interesting, I didn't know the core actually wore out and can break down.

andy_nintzel 03-18-2007 12:55 PM

I go through about 3 to 5 set-ups a year.

solo 03-18-2007 1:56 PM

This is a good thread because many people don't replace or upgrade their equipment on a regular basis. A wakeboard can be like a skate deck, after riding it a few seasons, it won't have the same snap or pop off the wake. Boards wear out. Pro level riders go through many decks every season and they give every board a good beating before putting them to rest. <BR> <BR>I'm 200 Lbs and I may ride like crap but 200 lbs landing over and over again, causes changes to the structural integrity of the core. <BR> <BR>So if you can afford it, you should upgrade based on how much you actually ride.

timmy 03-18-2007 2:12 PM

I am not convinced the boards wear out so quickly. <BR> <BR>I ride old boards, and buy boards one or two model years behind. <BR> <BR>I may just be a cheapskate, but I like to think that I don't buy into the marketing hype.

cfd313 03-18-2007 3:15 PM

yeah that's me too...i buy last year's model...i guess i'm a cheapskate too

bigwaken2009 03-18-2007 3:51 PM

i ride with cwb and i ride my boards hard so i ride until they break bec i know with out a shadow of a doubt they will replace them for free

j3t_m3ch 03-18-2007 6:14 PM

All I have owned are Parks but I was thinking about changing it up to a 3DS this year. Maybe try the same board with out the abrupt 3stage?

gimp990 03-18-2007 7:08 PM

i am just a weekend rider and i get a new board every year to two years, when ever my knees start to hurt on landings out in the flats i get a new board. over the years i have noticed that this is when my boards wear out. after tearing my ankle up i suggest getting new bindings every year just to be safe.

dmcguirt23 03-18-2007 10:20 PM

i buy a new board ever 18 months or so, but i usually buy them as last years mmodel or something unless i get a great deal, which i'm about to start getting more of, so i'll be in a mew setup by the end of summer. <BR> <BR>But just an example of what searching for deals can get you, I just unwrapped a brand new '04 Subjekt about 5 months ago, rode it for the first time, for real, today. paid a full 90 dollars for it.

thane_dogg 03-18-2007 11:36 PM

new board every season.

woohoo 03-19-2007 2:39 PM

I did replace my bindings this year but I figured the board would be fine, I ride alot so I guess I should see if it is wearing out, it has seemed I can't get as much air of the wake but I had just thought something in my riding has changed.