WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through June 03, 2009 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=703953)
-   -   Ronix Mana board / boot input? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=703037)

witness140 06-03-2009 6:11 PM

I've heard some good things about the Mana, and can pick one up at a good price. Right now I'm on an LF Witness 140 and it feels ok to me. I split the board with a local friend, and I've moved the boat off that lake - so have to get my own board. <BR> <BR>Mana is offered in a 138 and a 142. Just started riding last year. I can clear heel side, not toe side, and can only do basic surface stuff. (I'm a bouy chaser / trickskier that just learned to board) <BR> <BR>I'm 5'11", 165-170lbs. <BR> <BR>Coming off an LF 140, which would everyone advise - the 138 or the 142. <BR> <BR>Also, I currently have 11-12 LF Vantages on the Witness. Easy to use boot, open toe. I have a size 10.5 shoe. <BR> <BR>Looking at the Ronix Kai boots. Just not sure if I should go with a 10 or another 11-12. Not sure how the Kai's run size wise. These are closed toe with a heat moldable liner. Figured that would make a diff in sizing. <BR> <BR>So what do you guys recommend? Also - how do you heat the linings to your foot?

kingskrew 06-03-2009 6:28 PM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1><b>quote:</b></font><p>Coming off an LF 140, which would everyone advise - the 138 or the 142.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> <BR>Tough decision, you could go either way. Personally I'd go with the 42, but I like a little but larger board. <BR><blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1><b>quote:</b></font><p>Looking at the Ronix Kai boots. Just not sure if I should go with a 10 or another 11-12. Not sure how the Kai's run size wise. These are closed toe with a heat moldable liner. Figured that would make a diff in sizing.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> <BR> <BR>Do you not have the opportunity to try them on? I would HIGHLY suggest you go to your local dealer and try on both the 10s and 11/12s and see which fit better because the Kais DO NOT have the heat moldable liner, they have the Onyx liner. If you wear a true 10.5 shoe, my guess is that you'll prefer the 10s, especially as they break-in to your foot. <BR> <BR>-Steve

witness140 06-03-2009 6:36 PM

Steve, <BR> <BR>Thanks for the quick reply. Why do you like the larger board? What shapes this preference? How much harder would it be to do surface tricks on a 142 vs a 138 if I went with the bigger board. I know they say for more pop etc the bigger board is better, but you lose some of the ability to turn it. Is a bigger board better for intermediate riders? <BR> <BR>The Ronix site and the ads for this Kai boot say it has the Intuition heat moldable liner. <BR> <BR>I still don't understand how Ronix and the other mfgr's size their stuff. Mankind has been making shoes for ages, and I've never seen sizes like "9,10,11-12,13-14" at the shoe store. I mean - is an 11-12 an 11.5? Is it what you want it to be? Strange. <BR> <BR>I guess wakeboard boots follow a different principle than shoes.

witness140 06-03-2009 6:37 PM

Also, I won't have the ability to try them on. Wish I did, but it isn't gonna happen. If I get one size or the other and they are no good, I'll have to ebay or classified them and get the other size.

kingskrew 06-03-2009 6:51 PM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1><b>quote:</b></font><p>Why do you like the larger board? What shapes this preference? How much harder would it be to do surface tricks on a 142 vs a 138 if I went with the bigger board. I know they say for more pop etc the bigger board is better, but you lose some of the ability to turn it. Is a bigger board better for intermediate riders?<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> <BR>I like bigger boards because the increased surface area pops a little harder than a smaller board. Between a 138 and a 142, it's not a huge difference, but every little bit counts. As far as losing ability to turn it, think of it as a grand total of roughly 2 inches on the board, about 1 inch on either side. It's not going to drastically effect how the board handles. Think of it like this, ~1% extra swing weight and ~1% more effort for carving for ~5% more pop, it's worth it to me. A larger board planes up easier too, so its easier to get up, and less effort (drag) once riding. <BR><blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1><b>quote:</b></font><p>The Ronix site and the ads for this Kai boot say it has the Intuition heat moldable liner<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> <BR>Sorry I assumed you were looking at the 2009 Kais. I could be wrong, but I do believe that the 2008s were the intuition liner, so again I apologize, you're right. I hate to recommend the 10s and have your toes crushed, but it's really hard to say without you trying them on. I'd rater have boots that were a little snug that I could pack out with heat molding that sloppy loose boots that are just too big. <BR> <BR>-Steve

06-03-2009 8:23 PM

I went from the Jett 136 (same shape as the witness) this year to the Mana 138. It took me a set or 2 to get used to but I love the mana. <BR> <BR>I would say go for the larger size. The 136 was perfect for me but I feel so comfortable on the 138. <BR> <BR>For the boots I was on the Melissa's (guys sizing roughly a 5-7) and went with 6-7 in the Kai's. They are pretty true to size. <BR> <BR>I think the best way to mold them is ride them. Mine were completely broken in after maybe 3 sets. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps!

06-03-2009 8:26 PM

I would also recommend taking the center fin off and NEVER using it. I rode the Jett finless and tried to ride the Mana with fins and it was horrible (especially for surface stuff)