WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   samsung galaxy tab (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784943)

11-30-2010 4:30 AM

samsung galaxy tab

anyone have one? thoughts. looking at picking one up maybe after xmas when they become more reasonable(still charging activation fees for gods sake)

diamonddad 11-30-2010 9:19 AM

Costco in Mnt View had them for less than $600 with no contract. It looked sweet.

11-30-2010 10:59 AM

600 seems to be the going rate for them.

hatepain 11-30-2010 1:25 PM

I played around with one, its cool and all but not really any different than the Galaxy phones, aside from the size of them. I think the price is too high at the moment and we will see it come way down as there will be an influx of competing products in the near future.

baitkiller 11-30-2010 4:51 PM

600 seems to be the price I have seen. Very cool to play with. Did you see the warranty fee? How about 350 clams. With tax just call that gizmo a cool thousand bucks.

I'll pass.

wakesk8er2 11-30-2010 4:57 PM

I don't really know anything about the galaxy and I hate to sound like a fanboy or something, but if I've got 600 bucks to spend on a tablet, I'm going to the Apple store. I got a 32GB wi-fi ipad for graduation back in July and it's a sweet little toy. I just think that there will always be more selection of accessories, etc. just like with the iPhone. I'm thinking about getting a droid for my next phone, because of it's hotspot ability, but it seems like they come out with a new one every month. I feel like all support and accessories are going to be gone in a short time, whereas I can still go to just about any retail location and find something that is made for my iphone 3g and my ipad.

Just my .02

11-30-2010 9:15 PM

justin without a doubt there are some pros to the apple pads. but i just refuse to purchase apple products.

my main reason for purchasing one is because i dont have a smart phone. i have a blackberry provided by work but we dont have free range to use it. my chick purchased a droid x and i really liked messing around with it and when we are together i find myself asking to use her phone for this and that so i thought a tab would be a good idea.

ritchieps190 11-30-2010 9:27 PM

justin:

1) I genuinely find my self wondering what accessories you could possibly be talking about. every manufacturer except apple has agreed to standardize on Micro-USB so you should never need to by another car charger or travel wall charger because you changed phones again... Not to mention the new Samsung droid I just purchase came with a USB wall charger so all you really need is the USB cable.

2)if you are talking about wearing out cases, screen protectors, etc. who really keeps a phone longer than 2-3 years anyways?

Swype for text entry beats iphone typing hands down. Not to mention most of the places you need to enter text on android, you can just speak it using the speech-to-text funcion.

Pro's for iPhone/iPad/iPod touch:

The display: since the iPad is due for a refresh I would bet it will have the new retina display...
Apps: way more than android and only one OS to develop for
Music: iTunes, if that's your thing....

Pro's for Android:

just about everythign else...

Having said that we do have two iPod touches and an iPad and I do honestly believe that the iPad will remain the gold standard regardless of how many competitors enter the market....

wakesk8er2 12-01-2010 6:07 PM

Matt, I think your last statement summed up my thoughts on the subject.

As far as iTunes and the app store I'm fine with it. Seems like hacking into these things is pretty easy if you didn't want to use those programs.

As far as chargers, I've got enough already between my phone and iPods that it wasn't an issue. I did buy an extender so I could plug into my sounddock.

I do mean cases and things as far as accessories go. Not that I need 50 cases, but I like to have options. I use the otter box on my iPad and I love it, but I might want something else in a year or so. I'm pretty confident there will be more than enough options availible. I also like all the random things that come out like the credit card swiper cases that are now out for the iPhone. I know a lot of our customers would be hesitant to use something like that, but again, I know its there and available if I ever want it.

When I see verizon put the latest droid, samsung, etc. On bogo sale like 6 weeks after it's released, it makes me think that I wont be seeing that phone very much longer.

Regardless of all that, I'm sure the galaxy is a good product. I don't think samsung would put out anything like this that is sub-par

ritchieps190 12-03-2010 4:28 PM

ah I gotcha on the BOGO. I bought the Samsung on the BOGO deal. I think there are too many android choices with too few differences between the hardware, so the only way to influence buyers decisions is via price. So far I really realy dig my droid but will admit that it had a steep learning curve and it was only after I had used it for a week or two that I really started benefitting from the power of all teh features