WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Cracked Block Orlando (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=754146)

srock 01-04-2010 7:18 AM

Has anyone in the Orlando - Ocala ever had a freeze issue? I've never worried and wonder if I should.

dreevs 01-04-2010 8:27 AM

This is going to be a cold week. That said - it will always warm to above freezing at some point for the majority of each day. <BR>I never bothered with it as the dark cover for my boat kept the days warm air trapped pretty well - kinda like covering your plants here. <BR>Its your boat though - do what makes you comfortable.

denverd1 01-04-2010 8:31 AM

Toss some christmas lights in there for some peace of mind

bill_airjunky 01-04-2010 8:48 AM

Seems like a big risk on a big investment. Why not just drain everything &amp; sleep at night? Or at least put a shop light in the engine compartment? Of course that won't help your heater core.... still needs to be drained. <BR> <BR>(Message edited by bill_airjunky on January 04, 2010)

otown_dave 01-04-2010 8:49 AM

Ive had a cracked engine block in a car here in Orlando, ( young &amp; stupid, No anti freeze) Drained my two last night. <BR> <BR>(Message edited by o-town_dave on January 04, 2010)

otown_dave 01-04-2010 8:53 AM

If your in astor you are under a hard freeze warning!

wakemikey 01-04-2010 8:55 AM

silly not to

srock 01-04-2010 9:44 AM

Is it still silly not to if I had to drive 3 hours one way to heat the block? <BR> <BR>Just have not heard of problems as those really cold days (freezing) are rare. Draining the block may be a bit much work when I could be running running the boat a week later. I need a thermostat controlled heat source or in his case good luck. <BR> <BR>Is there such a thing as a thermostat controlled heat source like a dip stick heater or light?

gti2lo 01-04-2010 9:54 AM

why not leave the boat in the water and the water radiates heat through the boat...

srock 01-04-2010 9:59 AM

Nope, boat sits on a lift with no cleaning and lot fewer worries. Actually, I'm hoping that the water does radiate a little heat upward. In the past, the proximity to the water seems to have protected my orange trees.

bill_airjunky 01-04-2010 10:15 AM

Like a bilge heater? Look up Boatsafe or Xtreme. <BR> <BR>Or just use a shop light. Not worth the $300 - $400 expense. <BR> <BR>Or just drain it. Takes me 5 or 10 minutes. And the boat is ready to go the next time without any setup. Even if you have to learn it &amp; it takes you an hour, then your set. <BR> <BR>Or leave it in the water &amp; risk it. Not something I'd do, but maybe your a gambler. <BR> <BR>(Message edited by bill_airjunky on January 04, 2010)

eubanks01 01-04-2010 11:37 AM

What all do you guys drain? I have a Malibu with a Monsoon and I just took out the plugs on both sides of the block and unscrewed the raw water intake hose. Is there anything else? I do not have a heater.

denverd1 01-04-2010 12:08 PM

Whats up Jarrett. <BR> <BR>The exhaust manifolds and risers should have a plug in back, below where the exhaust exits the engine. Should be at the front end on each side of the engine on your LSV. <BR> <BR>Don't forget tranny cooler and hose on the top side of the impeller - water can't drain past the impeller...

eubanks01 01-04-2010 12:30 PM

Good to know. Thanks Man. I didn't get the manifolk or other hose, but hopefully I'm ok since it's indoors and I dropped a light in there. I guess we'll find out once it warms back up!

bill_airjunky 01-04-2010 1:24 PM

The manifolds on your LSV will have hoses joining together. You just unscrew them from each other (usually by hand) &amp; let them drain in the bilge. Takes all of 15 or 20 seconds. <BR> <BR>The hoses at the trans cooler are easy to get to also, right under the back seat. <BR> <BR>I just bump start mine for a second or two to blow the water out of the water pump &amp; mufflers. I've been doing it for years with the old Johnson impellers. And then a few years ago I started using the Globe "Run dry" impellers.... which supposedly allow for 15 minutes of dry run time over their lifespan.

weskel 01-05-2010 3:40 PM

Drain mine and put a shop light in the engine compartment here north of Destin, FL....

otown_dave 01-11-2010 9:16 AM

Did you go up Tim?

srock 01-11-2010 1:08 PM

No maybe this weekend. I'm not nervous...what can I do at this point. I think and hope that hanging over the river will keep my night temps higher and that the daily above freezing temps keep me in the safe zone...???

mhunter 01-11-2010 5:08 PM

Tim <BR>Do you have freeze insurance?

bill_airjunky 01-11-2010 6:59 PM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1><b>quote:</b></font><p>Do you have freeze insurance?<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> <BR> <BR>Is there really such a thing?

srock 01-12-2010 6:37 AM

Interesting thought. I would have to check to see if State Farm covers that as part of their standard policy.

denverd1 01-12-2010 6:53 AM

As in, if you neglect to winterize your boat, will they cover the cost of repairs?? I seriously doubt it... <BR> <BR>Tim, if you don't have a lot of wind it may work.

srock 01-12-2010 7:14 AM

Neglect? I live in Florida and the boat is at a weekend house three hours away. To me it's not unreasonable to not winterize your boat here and I don't know anyone who does. <BR> <BR>These freeze areas are growing fruits and vegetables right now and Saturdays high temp, where the boat is located, will be 75 degrees. The weather we are having is very abnormal. <BR> <BR>Hell, I even know people who don't have heat in their homes. Believe it or not but local building codes not only require water lines but also fire lines to access the home from the exterior for easier maintenance and shutoff. How would that work in the rest of the country? <BR> <BR>What if you winterize and still have a problem. Is that covered? The best bet is to check your policy then make your case... <BR> <BR>My bet would be that everything is fine.

denverd1 01-12-2010 7:25 AM

Neglect is the legal term. Maybe "didn't foresee the abnormal cold front and couldn't make it to the weekend house" to winterize your boat --- is a better way to describe it your situation. <BR> <BR>I don't see how you would have a problem if you winterize, but it will depend on your policy so check there first.

dirwoody 01-12-2010 7:36 AM

Tim - State farm does not (at least in the boat policy I handle) it's one of the first exclusions. Pick up your policy and check the losses not insured section, for the vast majority of boat policies (and I mean pretty much all of them unless you go out ad get something off the wall and special) have the freeze exclusion.

bill_airjunky 01-12-2010 7:48 AM

Yea, like there was no warning &amp; no one got online days before the freeze hit &amp; was asking questions. This may have been a surprise in that you didn't expect it 6 months ago. But it was no big surprise. I have a buddy in Lake Worth who has been making good coin winterizing boats the last few weeks. He was not surprised enough to even advertise his services.

baitkiller 01-12-2010 8:14 AM

You can buy the pink bio antifreeze (labled RV) at Wally World or the hardware store for around a buck a gallon. Get 4-5 gallons and dump in a bucket. Pull off the hose from your intake sea valve and stuff it in the bucket. Fire up the engine and when the buckets empty, your done. Put the hose back on and go home.

srock 01-12-2010 12:30 PM

If you would have asked me in November, the last time I was there, yes it would be a surprise. Last week, no surprise just a 6 hour total drive. That was the original post and discussion and some good perspectives were offered. <BR> <BR>I'm just south of Lake Worth. Winterizing in Lake Worth is a waste. Warm the engine before bed, put it in the water or put a light on it. Myself, I went out at just before dusk for bait and got up early and went sail fishing. <BR> <BR>If your sitting in dry storage, winterizing may be the only solution but I'd be shocked in more that 1% of all owners this far south did anything...ever. Expected highs of 80 degrees saturday.

01-12-2010 1:04 PM

I'm in Orlando and just put a $6 shop light in mine just for peace of mind.

mhunter 01-12-2010 3:15 PM

Boat US covers freeze damage. Nacho As if you <BR>neglect to maintain your boat and it sinks or you neglect to remove fuel vapors before starting and it blows up. Yes they will cover the cost of repair.