WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   cable park board recommendations (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799198)

ak4life 07-20-2013 8:34 PM

cable park board recommendations

Hit the cable for the first time and found my old LF Team board to be too slippery for me finless. Picked up a 2011 Byerly Monarch 56 (142.2 cm) at Norcal Mastercraft for $185, tried it behind boat today and found it too sticky, even without the center fin. So back to the drawing board.

I normally ride a 143 Lyman and love it, but don't want to beat it up on rails/kickers. Can anyone recommend a slider board for under $200 that tracks similar to the LF Lyman?

Also, if anyone wants a once used Byerly Monarch for around $150, lemme know.

westsidarider 07-20-2013 9:15 PM

Your just going to have to get used to riding finless and relying on your edges instead of fins. You will find that once you get used to riding without the cheats, aka fins, your normal riding with fins will progress greatly.

ak4life 07-20-2013 10:40 PM

Jason, thanks for taking the time to respond. So would everyone be better off riding finless?

ryanw209 07-20-2013 11:18 PM

Riding finless on the cable is the way to go. If you buy a cable board with fins I would guess that you would be upgrading to a finless board the following year. My suggestion would be to ride your old board until it breaks and then get something like a LF Peak or deluxe. But to answer your question whatever you buy needs to have a grind base for rails and kickers. The LF witness grind and the LF Tex both have grind bases, are traditional construction boards(not flex) and feature molded fins which should help with your tracking.

Kane 07-25-2013 9:55 AM

I ride a Lyman behind boat and because I love it and they no longer make it, I bought a Watson Hybrid to ride cable and I love it.
Popped the fins off, it took a few sets to fully become comfortable with it.
The Lyman itself is quite a loose board so it should not take you long to get comfortable finless.

P.S. I rode the Witness and did not like it at all.

ak4life 07-25-2013 10:29 AM

Thanks, guys.

Kane, what did you not like about the Witness? I'm guessing the Watson Hybrid is more slippery finless than the Lyman with fins, true? Judging by the bottom features, the Shane Hybrid looks like it might track finless similarly to the Lyman with fins. Regardless, I'll be hitting the cable too rarely to justify a new board. Kicking myself for dropping coin on the Monarch.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with edging on the Team, fine going around the corners (feels like the Lyman, actually, when doing a power slide). The problem I have is landing, especially blind, as the back foot wants to slide out. The Team is especially devoid of bottom features on tip/tail. I've shaved down the cupped fins that it came with to about 0.4". Here's a pic with the original fins for comparison:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3744/9...56af2827_b.jpg

Probably need to shave them down some more.

If the Team doesn't work out with shaved down fins, I'm considering shaving down the fins on the Monarch, not crazy about the idea though since there's a high probability I'll just ruin a perfectly good new board.

Kane 07-25-2013 12:56 PM

I just did not like how it felt, I've seen much better riders than me killing it on the Witness, so it's aa damn good board but I just didn't like how it felt. It's hard to describe, I just felt that the board gave me very little feedback and felt slow. Just my opinion.

I think you may be on to something with shaving down the fins.

dyost 07-26-2013 7:43 AM

If anyone is interested I have 5 pairs of those LF cupped fins that I will give away. I used to ride Subjekt and Shane boards and now have a lot of extra since I ride Slingshot now.
Paypal me a couple bucks for shipping and they're yours. Let me know if anyone is interested.
-dy

ak4life 07-30-2013 7:45 PM

Ended up shaving them down a bit more and making more rounded. Can't wait to ride my new board! ;-)

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3782/9...46010e58_b.jpg

Dustin, I'll take you up on that. Lemme know what paypal ID to send money to and how much. My contact info is in my profile.

ffmedic 08-02-2013 10:50 PM

Alain, nice running into you at WI. If you ever wanna slap on my board or borrow it for a day let me know. I have a hyperlite flex board with grind base. I think it was the first one hyperlite came out with a few years ago. Not sure of the name. I'm gonna head up there Tuesday or Thursday this week. Lmk

ak4life 08-03-2013 12:20 PM

Mario, great to see you too. Glad to see you out ripping again. I'm on vacation this week and thinking of hitting cable Mon, Tue or Wed. Might make it Tue then if you're going.

The Team with shaved fins worked out great, but after a few circles one of the guys who work there told me to take off the fins. I guess they don't allow bolt on fins. Wish I'd known.

Since molded in fins are ok, decided to take the plunge and operate on the Monarch.

Shaved down the fins to about 0.4", made a little groove in the middle and filled with 3M Marine Fast Cure 5200. This was a major fail -- the directions said it can be sanded after it sets, but it can't be -- after two days, it was dry, but still sticky and soft, and would basically not slide.

Removed it as best I could, and replaced with J-B KwikWeld -- this stuff seems perfect. It's as hard and slippery as the normal finish on the board. Plus it's black, so matches the board better, still looks rather awful though. Hopefully it performs better than it looks. ;-)

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2828/9...737e4557_b.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5340/9...98e48bba_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7392/9...7dba6dce_b.jpg

Bam6961 08-05-2013 9:44 AM

i surprised they told you to take the fins off, and there shaved down and square like the ronix park fins. i though there rule was just no metal...anyway hope it works out

theloungelife 08-05-2013 10:06 AM

I had a similar experience last year as well. My park was adamant that if you hit any slider features, you had to take your fins off.

behindtheboat 08-05-2013 10:24 AM

Once your fin breaks all that's left is that screw sticking out which will damage their $10k obstacle. You don't need fins, and there are plenty of boards with deep channels that can help. SS Whip is a great option that has "fins".

mccormickscablepark 08-05-2013 10:58 AM

Ride finless for a few hrs and report back. Be open minded too when doing this. Molded fins are ok for parks but no need for the 3rd fin on each end and seriously give yourself a solid chance to try a finless board on the parks' features/obstacles.

fly135 08-05-2013 11:50 AM

Alain, let us know how that JB Weld holds up on the sliders. I've got a Witness Grind that needs some serious fin repair.

Wakeska89 08-05-2013 12:57 PM

I used KwikWeld on my s4 last summer after my board started delaminating. It was a non grind version, but I used it several times on sliders and kickers, as well as for the rest of the season behind the boat. It held up great!! I tried a lot of different epoxy type things before and KwickWeld/JB weld is, in my opinion, by far the best stuff to repair a board

ak4life 08-05-2013 7:40 PM

Quote:

seriously give yourself a solid chance to try a finless board on the parks' features/obstacles.
Spent about 4 hours finless and found it perfect on the obstacles and for having fun with powerslides and nose/tail blunts around corners. It's also fine for tracking when on edge, but I don't always land perfectly on edge, especially when learning new things -- having some traction is nice. Personally, I like a board that's very loose in the middle and is loose enough on tip/tail for blunts and such, but when riding blind/cuffed, I want to be able to put weight on the back foot and have some measure of confidence that the board isn't just going slide right out from under me.

I realize that ideal level of tracking is a matter of personal preference, the point of this thread wasn't to debate merits of more/less tracking, but to just find a sub $200 board for cable that tracks similarly to my boat board. I don't know why I didn't just bring the Lyman to the board shop for a side by side comparison, if I had, I would have never gone with the Monarch as the molded in fins on it are enormous compared to the Lyman.

Anyway, glad to hear good things about the JB KwikWeld. Tried the shaved Monarch behind boat and it now tracks similar to the Lyman. Still doesn't feel as nimble as the Lyman though, not sure why, maybe because it's wider in tip/tail and heavier overall. Will test it out tomorrow on cable and report back. Will bring the Team just in case, too. :-)

Hooya 08-07-2013 12:21 PM

I tried riding finless when I first went to the cable and felt like I was a complete novice again. Then I started to hit the obstacles and realised I needed to go finless. And once you have that purpose to ride finless it becomes easier. And I don't know if anyone else finds it on their boards I found my board felt faster in a straight line and ollies were much more easy.