WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Why does everybody on here use Vimeo? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=793273)

the_fish 05-09-2012 7:46 AM

Why does everybody on here use Vimeo?

Everybody posts videos on here using vimeo instead of youtube. Why?

I'm wondering because Vimeo doesn't work on my work cpu and almost half the time the video is set to private. Youtube seems much more reliable/convenient.

TheHebrewHammer 05-09-2012 7:48 AM

I like it better than YouTube because it's classier and it looks better (graphic design wise). But mainly, they don't seem to be quite so aggressive with their takedown notices, so I can get away with using copyrighted music in not-for-profit videos.

hawkeye7708 05-09-2012 9:08 AM

The process for uploading, and quality, it seems to me, has been an improvement when uploading and playing my videos.

benjaminp 05-09-2012 9:29 AM

When you watch something on Vimeo you actually get to watch what you want without sitting through 5 minutes of advertisements first, and then closing the in-video advertisements.

bhyatt_ohp 05-09-2012 9:57 AM

Vimeo embeds rarely works for me on Mac using Firefox. Yesterday, on the recent Shawn Watson video post, I copied and pasted the wakeworld URL into internet explorer on my Windows partition and it worked perfectly. I hate YouTube ads, but at least its more compatible with embedding for web use.

kamighazi 05-09-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhyatt_ohp (Post 1750585)
Vimeo embeds rarely works for me on Mac using Firefox. Yesterday, on the recent Shawn Watson video post, I copied and pasted the wakeworld URL into internet explorer on my Windows partition and it worked perfectly. I hate YouTube ads, but at least its more compatible with embedding for web use.

use the 'Switch to HTML5' button, should have to do the above.

wakecumberland 05-09-2012 10:46 AM

Ben, what is the "switch to HTML5" button? I have the same problem as Bhyatt

kamighazi 05-09-2012 1:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakecumberland (Post 1750606)
Ben, what is the "switch to HTML5" button? I have the same problem as Bhyatt

Apple products are flash hatters. HTML5 is the new shnaz nasty that allows video without all the virusy overhead

pprior 05-09-2012 3:33 PM

vimeo is way faster and more stable in my experience. Videos just play whereas I sit and wait for buffering constantly on youtube on anything HD (and I have a very high speed connection)

TheHebrewHammer 05-09-2012 6:19 PM

Vimeo presents itself as an artists' community, and indeed there are a bunch of art films on there. There's a lot of quality content from professionals. YouTube, on the other hand, is a cesspool of pre-teen pop culture. Just read the comments!

razorjaw 05-10-2012 2:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer (Post 1750746)
Vimeo presents itself as an artists' community, and indeed there are a bunch of art films on there. There's a lot of quality content from professionals. YouTube, on the other hand, is a cesspool of pre-teen pop culture. Just read the comments!

Hit the nail on the head. I tell my students it's the youtube for professionals. The community is overall more positive, the quality is always higher, and there is better, more constructive feedback. The only "downside" it has is less hits as the audience is smaller. (Which for me is no issue)

irishrider92 05-10-2012 3:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjaminp (Post 1750572)
When you watch something on Vimeo you actually get to watch what you want without sitting through 5 minutes of advertisements first, and then closing the in-video advertisements.

2 words: Ad Block (on chrome). Haven't seen a youtube ad in over a year

MrPeepers 05-10-2012 6:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishrider92 (Post 1750823)
2 words: Ad Block (on chrome). Haven't seen a youtube ad in over a year

Dude, you are my hero! I feel like I just found out about the internet! Where have I been?

TheHebrewHammer 05-10-2012 7:44 AM

Haha, I've known about ad block for awhile but I still watch the ads because I can't be bothered to set it up. Now that's pathetic!

fgcuwake 05-10-2012 8:05 AM

Vimeo is simply a nicer experience, as weird as it sounds. I posted the Watson vid and also operate from an imac, you should use safari if you do the same. Firefox can be simpler for some tasks but safari seems to operate more smoothly across the board.