WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Sanger V215 owners and others (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780416)

camassanger 06-09-2010 7:44 AM

Sanger V215 owners and others

Just a heads up, maybe it will save you some money...

I was driving down the freeway doing about 70 and my backseat catches the wind and flys up out of the boat, 10 feet into the air and into the median of I-5.

Make sure that velcro is seated well.

I pulled over, had to run about a half mile back, across the freeway, pick it up and hike back. Not fun when traffic is doing 70. Seat is pretty torn up, will need new upholstering. If anyone has ideas, please let me know. Getting the bimini installed in 2 weeks, so I think I'll just ask them how much to get it done. When I do it, I will have them put two snap tie downs to the front of the backseat so it can't come up and the wind cant get under it.

To get that velcro to stay put, sit in the seat right over the top of it and shimmy your booty around... that seemed to work for the remainder of the trip.

Bring Out Another Thousand

unclejessie 06-09-2010 9:06 AM

www.primalmp.com

We make terry cloth covers for that seat and your whole boat.

-Uj

clotus 06-09-2010 10:49 AM

My rear seat has two snaps instead of velcro. Hasn't moved in several 1,000 miles of towing. Fingers crossed. Hopefully you get it fixed for a reasonable cost and be glad no one crashed avoiding a flying seat.

ccripps 06-09-2010 11:12 AM

Sorry to hear about that, did you have the Air Dam in place?? I put it in Everytime I tow to stop things fly out of the Boat. My V210 also has 2 snaps as well.

rallyart 06-09-2010 11:51 AM

Thanks Derek. I've not had that problem but I'll pay attention to it now.

hatepain 06-09-2010 12:32 PM

Man that'd suck, sorry to hear that. I too have the snaps but never use them, guess I will be now. I also pretty much always tow with my cover on if I am going an appreciable distance.

ccripps 06-09-2010 2:44 PM

If anyone needs a Tow cover for a V215 I have one that I would sell Cheap ( it's used) but in very good condition. It came with the V210 I bought, the guy thought I might be able to modify it to make it work.

camassanger 06-09-2010 2:46 PM

Didnt have the airdam in place. Thought about that afterward... But honestly, never had this problem before - I guess I just didnt put it on well enuf last time i was working with the seat off.

Yes, very thankful no one was injured trying to avoid the flying seat. I saw it in my rearview mirror vear off to the median in flight (i was in the fast lane at the time) - so luckily I dont think anyone needed to make any evasive manuvers. very lucky!

Unclejesie - thanks but I think I will have it re-upholstered. Your stuff is an interesting idea... but I'm OK with a vinyl interior.

camassanger 06-09-2010 2:49 PM

Thanks Chris - that would definitely solve the problem (right Hate?). I actually have a really good one, but just dont use it while towing. I'm all about efficiency with launching the boat (with kids, you have to be) and that's just one more thing to tend to lol. I would think there may be some interested guys lurking here though, good luck...

ryanw209 06-09-2010 6:05 PM

Sorry to hear about your seat Derek. Mine has the snaps also and I always make sure they are connected before towing. This makes me nervious being that I'm towing my boat 3 hours to Shasta on friday for a houseboat trip.

westsiderippa 06-09-2010 8:55 PM

sorry to hear this but that what the snaps are for. i almost lost mine too hen i had my v215. it started to float up in the air i saw it in my mirror just in time.

and after you get that new vynol on there you should protect it and the rest of your seats with some primal seat covers, worth every penny!!!

mendo247 06-10-2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

I was driving down the freeway doing about 70
Theres your problem. I tow the speed limit and have never had that problem. I dont have snaps or anything like that..

camassanger 06-10-2010 7:19 PM

Speed limit is 70 on I-5. Just make sure that velcro is well seated...

ghostrider_2 06-10-2010 10:50 PM

speed limit while towing is always 55 no matter what freeway.
Never hate that problem but it happened to Tate and his 215 a few years ago and since I always check to make sure it is secure and we also never speed while towing, that ticket will make your insurance really jump!

johnny_gatsby 06-10-2010 11:17 PM

the limit is 60 in WA for vehicles or combinations in excess of 10,000 lbs--but I don't think the State Patrol is going to mess with anyone for towing at the regular speed limit--I could be wrong on that.

antoddio 06-15-2010 8:56 PM

I always remove my rear seat and throw it under the dash for the trip...is that not an option for you?

mach90 07-10-2010 7:59 AM

Getting ready to pick up a new (to me) 215 next week. Thanks to you guys on this site for the information, help, and suggestions.

Coming from a DXII, I'm not used to worrying about things flying up while towing, but now I'll be adding that to my pre-towing checklist.

Not to be a newbe and a "preacher" at the same time; however I thought the speed limit, regardless of the road, was 55MPH because our tires (any trailer tire rated ST) is limited to 55mph? Anyone else hear or know about this?

I see everyone flyin' down the highway with heavily loaded rigs all the time, but man I'd hate to have lawyers after me if something tragic ever happened and speed was determined to be over 55. Maybe it's just the safety built into my profession, maybe I'm just getting older and since I usually have the wife and kids with me I'm more aware, or some other such reasoning, but I've seen what happens when tires let go in a catastrophic way.

Thanks again to you guys for all your help in making our sport and the community a more informed, safe, and fun place to be.

gunz 07-10-2010 9:46 AM

I was towing my V210 home awhile back,passed a guy on the freeway who had thew almost identical twin to mine,saw his seat on the side of the road.

Always check mine now.

wake_upppp 07-10-2010 10:26 AM

Cali is 55 while towing... anywhere in the state. Other states vary. I found 14" trailer tires with a 99 mph speed rating though...just in case. lol. That towing above 55 ticket in Cali is huge too, very expensive. That being said, I set my cruise at 60 while towing. I'll push it 5 but no more.

camassanger 07-11-2010 10:47 AM

Todd - not an option on the V215. Got a couple of snaps installed and I'm good to go. Some minor abrasions on the vinyl, but I can live with it for awhile.

Regarding the speed limits - you guys are right. I was pulling at 70, which is really too fast. I need to slow it down. I guess I was just anxious about getting to the lake. In the NW, the weather is only now turning nice. So I have been chomping at the bit here for a few months...

Hope this post helps someone not to have the same problem

blastmaster 07-11-2010 2:40 PM

Derek:
Contact Scott Pellaton and ask if the uphostery shop can send you a new skin. I am sure they will and then have it installed locally. He may even say send it to the factory although shipping would suck. Sanger is no ordinary boat company and they are really good when they hear about stuff like this. . ..
Worth a call or email.

Rick

camassanger 07-11-2010 5:47 PM

Rick, Thanks much. I'll do it and report back with results. Thanks again for the tip. Do you have a phone number for Scott?

blastmaster 07-11-2010 6:33 PM

I won' t post it here, but I will either PM or email you his contact information tomorrow morning from my work computer.
Rick

wake_upppp 07-11-2010 6:54 PM

They can certainly send you a new skin but I doubt it will be for free. Just call Sanger and ask to speak with Wayne. He runs the upholstery shop there...