WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through April 04, 2003 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62369)
-   -   Malibu 21 XTI vs. VLX (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57666)

predatorll 03-11-2003 3:20 PM

I'm looking to buy a new boat and the new Malibu 21 XTI looks pretty sweet to me. I know that the VLX is a bit more expensive and i want to know what are the advantages of the VLX over the XTI. I don't mind spending the extra money if it can be justified but since they have the same hull, i figure the wake is probably close to the same and with the new seating configuration, space should not be too much of an issue. If i am wrong, let me know and also please tell me the other pros/cons of choosing the VLX over the 21XTI. <BR> <BR>Thanks

forwaken 03-11-2003 3:33 PM

I looked at both as well as others and what made me choose the VLX is that you don't have a sun deck between the captain and the riders. Also the V-drive puts the weight distribution towards the back meaning the handling will be different. It also has the rear MLS where the XTI does not as well as more storage. VLX has a bigger engine standard also. There is plenty more, e-mail me if you want. <BR>

dlb988 03-12-2003 6:42 AM

Steve, <BR> <BR>Check out malibuboatowners.com. Do a search, this has been a topic of discussion. Lots of good information there.

3puttwilson 03-12-2003 7:26 AM

My friend has a new VLX. With the XTi you lose storage space and think about where you would put fat sacs. With the VLX you can put extra weight in the back lockers and in the floor. The v drive puts more weight toward the back.

chuk 03-12-2003 8:01 AM

The biggest difference for us was the useable storage space, as we will occasionally store our boards on the boat. The lockers in the Malibu direct drives didn't seem large enough to handle our equipment. The VLX has a couple large, lockable storage compartments beside the engine. Although not perfect, they will discourage the honest person from taking anything. The second thing was layout. Personally, we much preferred the layout compared to the XTI. Other differences we liked (when comparing the VLX to the direct drives) included: the Monsoon was the standard engine which helps justify the higher cost, resale value and marketability of a V drive is better, the VLX comes with an acrylic wind screen that fits below the window, 3 built in ballasts are standard, cockpit table is standard and we really liked the massive cooler behind the driver seat.

hockeyruss 03-12-2003 9:53 AM

Biggest difference in price is the $3000 V-Drive transmission. And the Monsoon as Joel Stated.

beercity 03-12-2003 12:39 PM

The XTI version is much more aceptable of a configuration in the 23' Malibu's. The 21'ers just do not have the extra room that design needs to be effective.

steveb7 03-12-2003 1:00 PM

also if you intend on using the ski pylon the backseat will be useless

predatorll 03-12-2003 1:31 PM

Thanks for the advice...That storage issue seems pretty major but i think im going to have to give both a test drive before i make the final decision. Thanks for all the help