WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Sticky steering (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798171)

johndk 05-18-2013 7:53 PM

Sticky steering

Is it normal to have very jerky/resistant steering in one direction?

I know it's normal for it to be harder to steer in one direction due to prop direction (my 2009 MB is left hand, I believe), but above about 10MPH if I steer left and then try to steer right (back to center), the wheel pull is hesitant and almost feels like the rudder is sticking. When I'm going straight and try to turn right, it's fine - the "issue" only happens when trying to get back to center after steering left.

I don't notice it at all at slower speeds.

I remember this last year, but not sure if it was as noticeable the first 2 years I had the boat.

01centurion 05-18-2013 8:02 PM

Having the same problem on my centurion, lube up the steering box. mine has 2 zerk fitting on it. Also see if u have movement on your rudder if you do then it's most likely the steering box(not sure if that's the correct term on a boat)

johndk 05-18-2013 8:08 PM

Okay I'll look into that. The rudder itself was supposedly greased at the end of last year.

Pad1Tai 05-19-2013 6:38 AM

It's probably the Teleflex steering cable but try lubing up the rudder box first

johndk 05-19-2013 6:51 AM

Is it likely that lots of hard turns would affect that? I end up having to pull kids tubing a couple of times a year (for the few years I've had the boat), and I worried that all the hard turns would do damage but the boat dealer and another mechanic said it would not do any harm.

01centurion 05-19-2013 7:24 AM

If you can turn your steering wheel with one finger or fairly easy without it hanging up I'm not sure it's the steering cable. But like I said I'm having the same problem with my boat I turn left and try to turn back right it gets very tight. I know most my buddies who had to change steering cables they has problems turning the wheel in and out of water.....

bftskir 05-19-2013 8:57 AM

steering cables wear out and need to be replaced. That is most likely the problem.

01centurion 05-19-2013 11:54 AM

For the ones that say its the steering cable why would it be hard in the water and not out of it? Not saying you guys are wrong just wondering why it wouldn't be hard all the time.

johndk 05-19-2013 8:16 PM

On other forums I read that problems might only manifest at speed because of the additional rudder pressure. Not sure if that means there's a problem with the cable on my boat - just what I read.

tonyv420 05-21-2013 11:41 AM

Last year mine was stiff, replaced the cable and it now turns with a finger either direction, under way and on the trailer. Like bftskir says, they wear out replace it. hard turns should not cause your steeering to get hard to steer. It's about 150 to get a new cable and they are not that hard to put in.

petrie141 05-21-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndk (Post 1823214)
On other forums I read that problems might only manifest at speed because of the additional rudder pressure. Not sure if that means there's a problem with the cable on my boat - just what I read.

I test drove a boat last weekend that had the same problem. While sitting still the wheel could go from side to side without any effort. While moving though, the thing took two hands to turn. The dealership I'm buying it from told me it was the steering cable and that they would fix it before I pick it up, I'll let you know if they say it was the cable or something else.

bftskir 05-21-2013 2:17 PM

if you really want to learn something from this thread learn that difficult steering means replace the cable. that's just the way it is. accept it and move on.

tuneman 05-22-2013 9:03 AM

Johndk, 'sticky' steering usually indicates a dry rudder box, not a bad cable. Get your grease gun and pump in as much grease as you possibly can. Some rudder boxes will have two zerk fittings, one on top of the other. Do this annually.

Pad1Tai 05-22-2013 11:10 AM

Thats the fact anchor......... what happens is when you load the rudder up in the water while cruising, the inner teleflex chafes against the dry outer casing.. It doesn't do it when unloaded sitting still..

tonyv420 05-22-2013 11:21 AM

CHANGE THE STEERING CABLE........just sayin, all the grease in the world won't break loose a stiff steering cable.....