WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Anyone an expert regarding Dodge Ram Cummins? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787680)

05-20-2011 1:51 PM

Anyone an expert regarding Dodge Ram Cummins?

I am in the process of buying another truck for my personal use (I'm going to use for my everyday truck) and have negotiated what I think is very good deal on this truck.

2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab w/122K

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/p...LB0855B001.jpg

I will give them my 2005 Tahoe with 100K on it and pay an additional $10K for the truck

This will be my first 24V Cummins. Does this look right?

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/p...LB0855B020.jpg
http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/p...LB0855B019.jpg

What do I need to check out on this truck? The transmission has a tag on it marked ATS in Arvada, CO #RB111510 and looks to be recently rebuilt, it does have an aftermarket converter in it. It doesn't seem to have any chips or anything but the air intake done to it.

Thanks!

timmyb 05-20-2011 2:07 PM

ATS transmissions are pretty good units and also pretty expensive!

05-20-2011 2:14 PM

Does that valve cover look normal? It looks like the it has been seeping on and off. Do you see anything that looks unusual?

guido 05-20-2011 2:34 PM

Honestly sounds kinda pricey. I would think that truck is worth around $17k with that kind of mileage. I think you could do better with private party deals. Get $10-12k for your truck, then be out of pocket around $5k for that. I could be wrong. Our market may be totally different around here.

Great truck, though. Although, for me, I have a hard time paying that kind of cash for something with that kind of mileage unless it's totally cherry. (Even if it's a diesel that will last forever....). A new trans is a huge plus on that truck.

wake26 05-20-2011 2:43 PM

The ATS tranny is a big plus they are one of the best trannys you can get. The stuff around the valve covers looks like the stuff they spray on it to clean the motor. Also I would look at getting rid of the k&n filter and get dry flow filter. If the truck does not have gauges get them they are a must when running diesels( pyro, EGT, trans temp and fuel pressure) by the way nice looking truck

05-20-2011 3:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guido (Post 1680224)
Honestly sounds kinda pricey. I would think that truck is worth around $17k with that kind of mileage. I think you could do better with private party deals. Get $10-12k for your truck, then be out of pocket around $5k for that. I could be wrong. Our market may be totally different around here.

Here in AZ used trucks go for a crazy amount. I can find tons of cheap diesels in Texas all day long, but when my insurance agent pulls a history on them almost everyone has a screwed up history. A lot of them have flooding issues.

My Tahoe is only 2WD and has a 4.8L in it with 4.10 gears also.

This has been the cheapest truck that I can find around here.

05mobiuslsv 05-20-2011 9:47 PM

I've got an 06'. That is a decent price for the year and mileage, they don't drop in price like gas rigs do. I can almost guarantee you that the truck was chipped. If it wasn't the dude just wanted to pony up for a bad tranny. Take it to a dodge dealer and have them go over the truck if you are serious about it.

Thrall 05-21-2011 9:46 AM

Find out what ATS did to the trans. You could be looking at a $6k bulletproof pulling trans or just a simple re-build, but likely it's been rebuilt to better than OE.
Given the ATS trans and the K/N intake it's very likely that it's been chipped in the past. Not necessarily cause to walk away though as the trans is about the only weak link in a lightly modded diesel. Engine is still bulletproof unless the guy was running more than jsut a programmer/chip (like bigger injectors, turbos, water/meth/propane injection, etc), as are the axles.
I'd say that truck is worth 20k tops with the miles on it although it does look really clean. Batteries look new(er).
I'd have the front end checked out before buying. Ball jts, steering boxes, unit bearings can get expensive.
Ditch the K/N filter IMO and check that the turbo hasn't been dusted with the use of the K/N on it.
The ATS trans won't increase resale to the avg buyer, maybe decrease it because the truck has been modded, but you could actually be finding a great deal with added value to you.
If it's had guages(good indcator of it being chipped), the exhaust manifold will have been tapped for EGT's on top near where that breather tube you ee coming out of the head is. Check that out.
SOme 05's had plastic intercoolers that were a problem as well. Make sure the intercooler is metal or figure that as a possible repair into your price.
Sweet truck btw. Have an 07 black 5.9 Mega myself.

bondo 05-21-2011 5:13 PM

The Velcro on the fuse box = been chipped. Have a dealer or a diesel shop put a "drb" scanner on it and read key cycles, and other data. Also a good diesel shop should offer a pre sale inspection. Compression test, bore scope inspection and such. The cylinders I see go are usually 4,5,6. I have broke 9 billet, built transmissions. Not burned up. Broke. Input shafts ,out put shafts, cases, converters and split a 3rd gear drum. If u do buy this truck I can give u some ideas on how to protect the motor, thru proper fuel filtration, fuel pressure, injectors, programmers ,turbo,and transmissions. My best friend owns dynomite diesel performance. We have taken our trucks Thu..

brycejb328 05-22-2011 7:28 AM

I sold my 2001 ram 3/4 ton ctd with 170k miles on it for $11k. This was pretty recent and In above average condition in my opinion.

On the trans subject, a friend of mine had to get a new trans put in his 2005 ram ctd dually before it hit a $100k, luckily for him it was a warranty job.

bear 05-22-2011 9:44 AM

great trucks! I have an 05 HD 2500 and it has been bullet proof, that price does seen high for that many miles.

Thrall 05-22-2011 9:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bondo (Post 1680370)
The Velcro on the fuse box = been chipped. Have a dealer or a diesel shop put a "drb" scanner on it and read key cycles, and other data. Also a good diesel shop should offer a pre sale inspection. Compression test, bore scope inspection and such. The cylinders I see go are usually 4,5,6. I have broke 9 billet, built transmissions. Not burned up. Broke. Input shafts ,out put shafts, cases, converters and split a 3rd gear drum. If u do buy this truck I can give u some ideas on how to protect the motor, thru proper fuel filtration, fuel pressure, injectors, programmers ,turbo,and transmissions. My best friend owns dynomite diesel performance. We have taken our trucks Thu..

Yep, missed that. Looks like the right spot for an Edge Juice module!
Like I said prev, very little chance that it wasn't chipped if the PO spent big $ on a trans. Not a deal breaker by any means. Got over 80k on my 07 5.9 and it's run a 90+hp tue since day one. Still runs like new, only casualty was the OEM DMF clutch which went bye bye in favor of a South Bend OFE.
Mine has had a few more nickel/dime things than my 02 Dmax did. So far replaced clutch (knew that would be an issue when I bought it), front brake pads at 70kmi (not bad for ALL mtn driving and a wife that doesn't use the gears to slow down), ball jts are out of spec, but still servicable (maybe do them before the next new set of tires), #4 injector line cracked (big mess, cheap fix, just go buy one and keep it in the truck, common problem), steering box locked up, repl steering box and PS/Hydroboost pump (not a repair I expected to have to do at 70k mi).

05-22-2011 4:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bondo (Post 1680370)

Thanks everyone! I'm probably going to pass on this one and keep looking.

Bondo nailed it though, my mechanic looked it over really good on Saturday and said that it was most likely "stacked" and the pump had modified wiring harness on it. The billet converter turned out to be one with a high stall speed my mechanic said was setup for racing, not pulling. He also said the injectors had custom nozzles on them.

I would probably wouldn't even had it looked over, it looked like a stock truck to me. I'm just towing the boat and driving to work so I don't any mods.

Thanks again! BTW, what does "stacked" mean? My mechanic sounded like it was bad and that I should stay away from it. I forgot to ask.

skongolf 05-22-2011 5:05 PM

Glad you passes on it. I went to that place one to look at a Suburban and it seemed great, but when I took it to a mechanic, it had alot of issues. Not sure how reputable that dealership is at all. I know on another board they said there is a certain year range of cummins you should look for and stay away from anything post 05 I think. Good luck with ur search.

05mobiuslsv 05-22-2011 6:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skongolf (Post 1680477)
Glad you passes on it. I went to that place one to look at a Suburban and it seemed great, but when I took it to a mechanic, it had alot of issues. Not sure how reputable that dealership is at all. I know on another board they said there is a certain year range of cummins you should look for and stay away from anything post 05 I think. Good luck with ur search.

Nope don't think so.

skongolf 05-22-2011 6:12 PM

Like I said I am no expert, but they something about post 05 had too much polution control on it. If I am wrong, correct me for sure.

ajholt7 05-23-2011 1:59 AM

I think this guy is an expert. http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14816

05mobiuslsv 05-23-2011 7:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skongolf (Post 1680487)
Like I said I am no expert, but they something about post 05 had too much polution control on it. If I am wrong, correct me for sure.

You must be talking about the post 07.5' trucks when they went to the 6.7. Still most of those issues have been worked out.

RedRum 05-23-2011 8:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajholt7 (Post 1680557)

He has a nice truck, but this guy is a humungous tool.

Thrall 05-24-2011 7:23 AM

Stcked means one programmer stacked on top of another. People will use combos of different hp adders that say one is primarily a rail pressure/duration box and another type will add timing to the engine. If done correctly, can make a super fast truck. Incorrectly can tear an engine apart.
Smart for passing on it. The truck has had some serious mods.

RedRum 05-24-2011 7:44 AM

That must have been a heck of mechanic to pull an injector just to look at it! Did you have to pay him? If not, he is a keeper!

Stacked programmers/modules aren't necessarily a bad thing, you just need to know what you are doing. I run my 5.9 like that all the time with zero issues. Like Thrall stated, you just need to know what you are doing. For example, you don't want to run two boxes together that both add timing or rail pressure. Not good for the engine.

Modifications to a diesel also aren't really a bad thing. Trust me, once you get bit by the diesel bug of making serious, reliable power, it is addicting....and expensive. Starting out with a truck that has some basic mods is a good thing.

05-24-2011 8:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRum (Post 1680914)
That must have been a heck of mechanic to pull an injector just to look at it! Did you have to pay him? If not, he is a keeper!

Stacked programmers/modules aren't necessarily a bad thing, you just need to know what you are doing. I run my 5.9 like that all the time with zero issues. Like Thrall stated, you just need to know what you are doing. For example, you don't want to run two boxes together that both add timing or rail pressure. Not good for the engine.

Modifications to a diesel also aren't really a bad thing. Trust me, once you get bit by the diesel bug of making serious, reliable power, it is addicting....and expensive. Starting out with a truck that has some basic mods is a good thing.

I already have a couple of 12 valves for work, but they are old and are flatbeds, so I know about the diesel bug.

He is my regular mechanic. I paid $500 for the inspection though and I think it was worth it. He use to be a design engineer at Cummins until they made him mad and he walked (probably 25 years ago) he is about 70 years old I'm guessing.

RedRum 05-24-2011 9:02 AM

Sounds like a good guy to know. You are right, $500 is well worth it, just too bad that truck didn't pan out for you. There are plenty of good trucks out there, just a matter of finding the perfect one. Keep us updated on what you find.

05-24-2011 9:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRum (Post 1680929)
Sounds like a good guy to know. You are right, $500 is well worth it, just too bad that truck didn't pan out for you. There are plenty of good trucks out there, just a matter of finding the perfect one. Keep us updated on what you find.

I just don't like blowing $500 every time I find a truck! Every time I take a truck to him he finds something wrong with it...:( I'm learning how to spot some of the more obvious problems now though.

RedRum 05-24-2011 9:14 AM

I hear ya on blowing all that money. About the only way to get around doing that and still ensuring you are getting something that is in perfect condition is to buy a new truck haha