WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through October 28, 2007 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=517108)
-   -   Winterizing ballast system (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501223)

4fish4 09-16-2007 7:02 PM

Hi, does anyone know if there is an internet site that shows how to winterize a ballast system...I have a Moomba lsv 2007 and I got the water out of the out-pipe with air compression.... but what do I do with the intake pipe...plowing compressed air does not seem to work....please help....newbie

santa 09-17-2007 3:50 AM

Sorry, can't give you a site. <BR> <BR>First I just make sure everything is well emptied. Then I pour some RV waterline antifreeze through every hole possible. Finally, I make sure that all the solenoid valves (not everyone has those) are kept in the OPEN position. I know some people will also blow air in the lines with a compressor. Hope this helps.

johnson0505 09-17-2007 9:35 AM

So with a 03 LSV do you just open the switches to fill and disconnect the battery to leave them open and pour RV antifreeze down all tubes ?

santa 09-17-2007 12:11 PM

Disclamer: look, I'm not a mechanic. I push pens all day long for a living, so if you screw up your boat because of my bad advise, don't blame me. <BR> <BR>That said John, that's exactly what I did last year and it worked. Be careful, though: when I say open the switches, I mean that there is a manual bypass on the solenoids. I didn't mean to flip the electric switch on your dash and remove the power. Look on the actual solenoid valves (they are in the engine compartment in the case of a LS) it's like a little plastic thing that rotates 90 degrees that you flip to the other position. This is the exact same switch that causes ballasts to fill on their own when you drive if they were left open by mistake. Look in your owner's manual, there's a picture of this. <BR> <BR>Also, I forgot to mention that I removed the front ballast bag entirely and stored it indoors. I probably over-did it, but it beats having to deal with leaks in the spring. <BR> <BR>Good luck.

sidekicknicholas 09-17-2007 8:40 PM

I would just get a bucket of anti-freeze and suck it into the system... hasn't failed yet

saroberts70 09-18-2007 2:24 PM

Nick's got it right. I do it every year.

ord27 09-18-2007 6:58 PM

move to Texas <BR>then yull be just fine

johnson0505 09-19-2007 9:23 AM

How are you getting into the system ?

santa 09-19-2007 9:50 AM

Nick, Rob, <BR> <BR>How the heck do you do that? Flip the boat upside down?

1boarder_kevin 09-19-2007 11:29 AM

The MCs have a water hose fitting on the intake that you hook a short hose up to and run in a gallon of antifreeze (use RV antifreeze). I just hook it up and run a gallon or so in each pump. Then I discharge for a couple seconds to make sure the antifreeze is in the discharge lines as well. If your boat doesn't have a fitting, I would imagine it would be pretty simple to splice one in and make it easier in the future. Oh, I also close the valve at the hull so it doesn't suck air.

sidekicknicholas 09-19-2007 11:33 AM

yes

boardcrazy 09-20-2007 9:56 PM

never knew there was a hose for the mastercrafts...i plan on doing it myself this year instead of running out of town to the dealerhip...glas i read this post

sulmaxwell 09-21-2007 10:13 AM

isn't rv antifreeze flammable?..so if you have a light bulb/heater in your boat over the winter and something happens..it could catch fire...yes I know there is also 38 gallons of fuel in the tank...but in a more sealed area... <BR>anyway...just a thought..I really wish I simply had a heated garage...

1boarder_kevin 09-21-2007 1:07 PM

On the MCs, look right before the manifold and there will be a hose fitting (on 06 X1s and probably other MCs). I think it is a male end, so you can cut an old hose or I went to home depot and bought the fitting and 2 foot of tubing. Make sure to put the cap back on when you are done. <BR> <BR>I would guess that the rv antifreeze wouldn't be flammible because it is mostly water. Kind of like how liquor won't burn at 40% alcohol but pure alcohol at 90%+ will burn. I may be wrong though.