WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Which is better deal on Xstar's? 07 or 08 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798588)

bwillx2 06-12-2013 8:40 PM

Which is better deal on Xstar's? 07 or 08

Found 2 stars I really like. One is 07 PWT edition with Ly6 and 250 hours!
Other is 2008 with MCX and Rev 10 sound system and 65 hrs trailer on 08 has dented fender and 2 small nicks in gelcoat. Both are 55k! Which is a better deal?

xstarrider 06-12-2013 8:42 PM

I would never buy a pickle x star with an MCX. They take so much weight the MCX just isn't enough. Makes my vote easy.

phatboypimp 06-12-2013 9:21 PM

I have an 08 X-Star with the LY6 which is well propped (OJ 5 Blade) and it is under powered in my opinion. With a ton of weight in it, it struggles. I would hate to see what a MCX would be like.

bwillx2 06-12-2013 9:45 PM

So the 07 with more hours would be the best bet for that price? I have heard the MCX propped with an OJ 14.25x14 does well but I myself can't say because I have never owned a star.

Pad1Tai 06-13-2013 5:59 AM

i have the an 07 with the MCX and the the OJ 14X14.25.. WIth 4K in weight it pulls just fine.. It requires a #500 in the walk way in the bow to plane easier.. I've got 870 hours and runs great..

riddick 06-13-2013 6:39 AM

The 08 has the digital dash and the 07 doesn't.

I'm from knoxville and have my 08 X-Star for sale. Its got the MCX and is by no means underpowered. I put the biggest ACME prop on it. The 5 blade props can't handle as much weight as a large 4 blade, so a 5 blade on any boat will seem like the engine is underpowered.

I have 300 hours on my boat, but got a new engine put in with only 30 hours on it so far. The transmission has been serviced and I put in a new fuel pump. My boat also comes with a extended warranty good for another year! Ill sell it to you for $55k!

willyt 06-13-2013 6:41 AM

I also have an MCX star. Most of them were made with the MCX in em, and if they're propped correctly you can still run a ton of weight. I run the 14.25x14.5, and its fine. while i'd certainly like more horsepower (who wouldn't), the MCX fits my needs.

the 08 will have the vdig, while the 07 has all 'analog' gauges (which are actually digital coming form the mmdc, but whatever). I bought an 07 for that reason, like the gauges. it'll all come down to condition, but something to think about is, its really easy to install new tower speakers, not so much a new engine.

willyt 06-13-2013 6:42 AM

brad, what acme prop are you running? the 15x12? I've always been interested in seeing how that would perform on a star

LYNRDSKYNRD 06-13-2013 7:23 AM

I would really scrutinize an 08 boat with only 65 hours we used our last boat only moderately and put over 50 hours a year on it. Who buys an Xstar and only puts about 16 hours a year on it? I would really want to know the story behind it. Goodluck either way Xstar's are awesome.

jmuthafnp 06-13-2013 9:27 AM

I have an 09 Xstar for sale and could get you real close to that price. Needs to go, just sitting in the driveway not using it since our lake has banned it. Just put a new fuel pump in her yesterday. PM me for details. Has the MCX and is just shy of 300 hours I think.

MCX is not underpowered; just needs to be propped right. MCX and LY6 actually have the same torque curve up to about 3200 RPM, so the LY6 will pull a little longer under load.

lifetimewarranty 06-13-2013 9:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LYNRDSKYNRD (Post 1827668)
I would really scrutinize an 08 boat with only 65 hours we used our last boat only moderately and put over 50 hours a year on it. Who buys an Xstar and only puts about 16 hours a year on it? I would really want to know the story behind it. Goodluck either way Xstar's are awesome.

Nah. People buy high dollar luxury items for many reasons. Some of them are "Just cause I can"...Go check out Ebaymotors for Ferrari's and take note how many of them have less than 2000 miles on them.

However, I would agree that you need to fully check the boat out (any boat).

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmuthafnp (Post 1827697)
...since our lake has banned it. .

This makes no sense. Private lake and people don't like you? :confused:

I'd take note on what these guys are saying re: props. I don't know what weight the average 2008 X-star needs (for you) but my 2004 X2 with 3000# gets up fine with the MCX. I don't run that much for me to be happy.

dirwoody 06-13-2013 10:03 AM

John - That really sucks about your boat! Is she too big, or is it the ballast issue? I was hoping to come down with Chance sometime and shred, but sounds like that's out!

bjames 06-13-2013 10:19 AM

IMO, the PWT Xstar would probably be my choice. The PWT editions were ususally top of the line, customized and were configured to be used by the Pros for the Pro Wakeboard Tour. Its an Iconic boat. The 08 Star sounds like it may be a more basic model.

migs 06-13-2013 10:30 AM

07 - without a doubt

jmuthafnp 06-13-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

This makes no sense. Private lake and people don't like you? :confused:
435 acre private lake community, 1200 registered boats on it, 90% vertical seawallas, old people....Some people just don't appreciate almost 8000lbs of awesomeness thundering down the lake as much as wakeboarders do.

Here is the new rule they put in since they couldn't ban wakeboard boats with ballast

Quote:

Good morning neighbors,

It has come to my attention that a new boating rule was passed without any notification to the membership. The rule is as follows:

The maximum speed limit of any watercraft on Holiday Lake shall be 55 mph or as defined in the Reckless or Careless Operation section of the Holiday Shores Boating Rules. Operation of said watercraft shall be in a manner that does not create an exaggerated wake. Intentionally “Plowing” or “pushing water” at speeds greater that no-wake, but less than those typically maintained while “on plane”, is not permitted. (5/8/13)

Lake security has been told they are to start pulling people over immediately for creating an ‘excessive’ wake, even though no one is aware it passed or having a definition of what ‘excessive’ means.

I am asking you to please attend the next board meeting if you are concerned about the passing and implementation of a rule without the notification of the membership.

To provide some background on this particular rule: there are a group of folks that have been trying to limit boats out here for a couple years now. Since they couldn’t get a boat-type rule passed, they reworded the language to the above, effectively outlawing wake boarding, wake surfing, and any other activity that produces an excessive wake. I called Glenn, lake manager, to ask what the definition of “excessive” was and he said 3 feet. The reason this rule cannot stand is because they have no way to measure it. They know this (Glenn even said to me that it is “subjective”), which is why they chose a subjective term instead of an exact one. When I asked how they would implement it, he said if someone is wake surfing or wake boarding, they are subject to ticketing. How can he say that when the rule says nothing like that? The second danger in this, is that Glenn’s definition of excessive and the next Lake Manager’s definition may not be the same. What if the next person says excessive means 2 feet? Then those of us that do any type of skiing or tubing will no longer be able to enjoy those activities. You may think it will never come to that, but as a person who has attended almost every meeting for 2 years, there is a constant battle over this. We cannot let this rule and procedure stand if you want to protect your ability to enjoy this lake with your families.

Whether you are in support of limiting excessive wakes or not, please come to the meeting and voice you concern about how it was passed. This is a pivotal moment in the use of this lake and our enjoyment of it. Please plan to be at the meeting to protect our right to be heard before they create rules “for” us.
On top of all that, I have been fighting the HOA board on this ***** going on four year and my knees can't handle it anymore so it's time to retire. Over it.

jmuthafnp 06-13-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirwoody (Post 1827707)
John - That really sucks about your boat! Is she too big, or is it the ballast issue? I was hoping to come down with Chance sometime and shred, but sounds like that's out!

We can still shred, c'mon down. I have some other places to ride, provided she doesn't sell. Just let me know.

lifetimewarranty 06-13-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmuthafnp (Post 1827719)
8000lbs of awesomeness

my knees can't handle it anymore

Love it...however, one thing may explain the other!LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmuthafnp (Post 1827719)
On top of all that, I have been fighting the HOA board on this ***** going on four year...

HOA's...gotta hate them.

Back on topic - has the OP decided? we need pics!

bwillx2 06-13-2013 1:26 PM

I believe I have decided on the 07 PWT! I can always upgrade the sound system and it will be nice to have the extra hp when it's needed! Thanks guys! Hopefully have pics by the weekend!

riddick 06-13-2013 3:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willyt (Post 1827658)
brad, what acme prop are you running? the 15x12? I've always been interested in seeing how that would perform on a star

I'm running the 14.5x14.25. Best prop ive had so far. The other one I had was a 14.25x14.25 I think?

smiller 06-13-2013 3:45 PM

I had an 06 with the mcx and without a doubt, I would recommend the 07 nwith the ly6. 250 hrs is nothing for hrs on a mastercraft!!