WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   need help deciding on 20 foot boat (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797211)

bellinghamster 03-09-2013 9:21 PM

need help deciding on 20 foot boat

Ok - average wakeboarder, with space constraints as far as the garage goes. Have about 7 foot 2 inches max height, and about 23 feet max length. Looking at Malibu VTX or AXIS A20. Any opinions or other ideas?
Thanks
Mike

22vdrive 03-09-2013 11:05 PM

Tige rzr. Is a sharp looking 20 footer

tampawake 03-10-2013 6:13 AM

Def the tige RZR and also the X2.

bwood357 03-10-2013 6:52 AM

depends on budget. IMO the RZR gives you more bang for the buck.

JetRanger 03-10-2013 7:59 AM

RZR for sure. Is this even a real question?

Houstonshark 03-10-2013 8:01 AM

You should post this in the Boat section. I own a Tige RZR and love it. I know you said Malibu or Axis though. Have you looked at the 20 MXZ? It's a sweet boat. I considered one when it first came out but couldn't justify $90k+ on a 20' boat, especially when mine is a 2012.

johnny_defacto 03-10-2013 10:19 AM

No Budget? here are my pics in order:

Malibu 20MXZ
Malibu VTX
Tige RZR
Axis A20
Mastercraft x-2

Small Budget

Axis A20
Malibu VTX
Tige R20

bcd 03-10-2013 3:55 PM

Make sure you measure overall boat height at whichever boats you're considering. It's going to be tight or no go for most boats at 7' 2". There are also trailer options that can usually gain you a few inches. I have a 7' exact door. I had to make a custom trailer hitch to get my 2012 X-2 in. I don't think the Malibu would fit in my garage, judging by how low the tower folds down. However, the dealer never called back with the exact height on when on the trailer, so that's just my best guess.

MattieK27 03-10-2013 5:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellinghamster (Post 1810509)
Ok - average wakeboarder, with space constraints as far as the garage goes. Have about 7 foot 2 inches max height, and about 23 feet max length. Looking at Malibu VTX or AXIS A20. Any opinions or other ideas?
Thanks
Mike

Some good suggestions in this tread. My suggestion, measure the heights YOURSELF before purchase. I had almost an identical door height, and the dealer I bought my X1 from swore up and down the height with the tower down was under 7'. I get there to pick it up, and it's almost 7'4". I got creative with removing the board racks, but the point is don't take anyone's word for measurements.

03-10-2013 8:05 PM

My Axis fits in my garage and I only have a 7ft tall opening. I really just depends on how much money you want spend.

JetRanger 03-10-2013 9:36 PM

Does Epic make a boat in this size?

rdlangston13 03-10-2013 9:52 PM

Small Budget -
Moomba Outback V
Tige R20
Axis A20

Big budget
Malibu VTX,
Malibu 20MXZ
MC X2
Tige RZR

Sent from my iPhone

jaybee 03-11-2013 5:51 AM

I love my x-2!!

whiteflashwatersports1 03-11-2013 5:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
We have a 2012 RZR and its fits snuggly into our 16x20 garage with a 7' door opening. It's on an angle but she is tucked in every night.

We looked extensively at the MC x2 and the Malibu vtx - neither would fit under the door opening. We had the dealers bring them to the house because other storage options were not an option. The RZR fit under the door by about 1/2 inch.

The MC dealer suggested taking air out of the tires each time (the wifes response was "your an idiot")

Good luck - and we love our RZR has been awesome.

RWBVride 03-11-2013 5:59 AM

I love my A20. Fits great in my garage with 7' door. Whats your budget? My A20 is currently for sale.

polarbill 03-11-2013 8:10 AM

Damn, I can't believe this has gone this far without the MB 21's being mentioned. I will be the ahole that does. Pretty sure they are designed to fit in a standard california garage. Not sure the depth but 7' garage door I believe. If I had to guess on length with the platform off the 21 MB's would be about 22.5' long if it has a trim plate and 21.5-22' without a trim plate.

Will the VTX fit? My buddy is in the process of buying a boat from a guy that is looking at VTX's and he said that the loop where the tow point is sticks up too high on the VTX. Not sure what too high is for him but am guess his garage is about 7' tall.

As far as boats that will fit the length that I would look at there are a ton that should be right around 23' long or less on the trailer.

Malibu VTX
Malibu VLX
Malibu ride 21
MAlibu MXZ(maybe)
Axis A20
Axis A22(maybe)
Nautique 210
MAstercraft X2
MAstercraft X10
Mastercraft Xstar(22')
Supra 21V
Supra 22V
Moomba outback V
Moomba LSV
Moomba Mojo
Centurion 211(I think that is the 21' enzo)
MB 21 Tomcat
MB 21 TWB
Tige RZR
Tige R20
Tige Z1
Tige RZ2(maybe)

Again, these are all options that could/should fit length wise as long as the trailer folds even with the bow. I have no idea which one's would fit height wise but I would make sure and measure a lot to make sure it does. Another thing to keep in mind. those that might be slightly too long because of a trim tab you could put a quick disconnect on it so it lays flat or close to flat on the transom. I am pretty sure as is they just have a single bolt that hold the ram to the plate.

polarbill 03-11-2013 8:14 AM

By the way, looks like you are from Bellingham, Wa. Do you boat on Samish or Whatcom? I took my old nautique up to Whatcom once. Beautiful Lake.

stuey 03-11-2013 8:18 AM

Shameless plug for Malibu VTX.. if you are in the market for used, I'm selling my 08 fully loaded just north of you in Vancouver.

polarbill 03-11-2013 8:25 AM

Sorry, didn't pay attention to the 20' title. If the only reason you are limiting is to fit in your garage than I guess you could go bigger than 20'. If you just want a 20' boat than obviously you can cross a lot of those off the list.

polarbill 03-11-2013 8:28 AM

Stuey, the guy that sold his boat to my buddy is looking for a VTX somewhere near seattle. Do you have the length of yours on the trailer. The measurement he needs is the length from the back of the prop guard(not the boat) to the farthest point forward(boat or trailer). Also, does the tower fold flat and inside the windshield or does the loop stick up higher than the wind shield? What is the height of your boat on the trailer?

Brett_B 03-11-2013 8:32 AM

A newer Malibu with a G3 tower will fit under a 7' door if you get the "garage clearance hoop". It has less curve than the standard hoop. I have one and my VLX fits under a 7' door, you can find out more about it on the Malibu crew forum. The A20 fits under a 7' door as well with the standard tower. Just keep in mind that with any tower speakers the Axis tower gets very heavy.

If you need to remove the swim platform for more space behind the boat you can drop the floating wedge on the Axis easily. The power wedge on the Malibu sticks out further even if you drop it and takes some work to get it raised back up when not in the water.

polarbill 03-11-2013 8:38 AM

Brett, is the "garage clearance hoop" something that can be purchased/swapped after the fact?

OnlyButter 03-11-2013 9:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For the kind of cash you're gonna drop on a wakeboat, you might not want to let your options be dictated by a standard 7' or 7'-2" garage door. I was in the same situation a couple years ago. My house had standard 7' tall doors that very few good wakeboats would fit under. So I rebuilt the garage door opening and made it higher (and wider by the way).

Check out the header framing for your garage door. Some have extra "sub-framing" hanging below the main header beam. The sub-framing can easily be removed and then re-rough out the opening and put in a higher garage door. It's a tougher job if you also have to widen the doors because that requires shoring the roof and replacing the header and king studs.

Anyway, it's definitely doable for most houses to get to a 7'-6" or 8' tall opening without too much of a headache. Image below shows my Supra in there...you can see the rebuilt header although if you are just making the opening higher (and not wider) you don't have to replace the header.

By the way, I totally agree with the comments made about measuring the boat height yourself. When I bought my Supra the guy told me it's definitely 7'-6" with the tower down. I then reframed out my garage and went with an 8' tall opening for 6 inches of fluff. Then I got the boat and backed it in for the first time. It literally rubs on the bimini top and it BARELY squeezes in there. I was lucky I guess...but I can confirm that you need an 8' high opening for a 2011 21v (progressive tower).

cjh1669 03-11-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polarbill (Post 1810733)
Stuey, the guy that sold his boat to my buddy is looking for a VTX somewhere near seattle. Do you have the length of yours on the trailer. The measurement he needs is the length from the back of the prop guard(not the boat) to the farthest point forward(boat or trailer). Also, does the tower fold flat and inside the windshield or does the loop stick up higher than the wind shield? What is the height of your boat on the trailer?

I have an 07 VTX and it will fit in a 7' garage with the tower down as long as you take off the tow ball and put the trailer jack as low as it will go( you also have to remove all racks). Kind of a PITA though. The you can take the hoop off of the G3 tower and it will fit fine.

Houstonshark 03-11-2013 11:41 AM

The trailer will make the difference on all of these boats. The RZR on a Boatmate trailer will fit according to the measurements I took.

I ended up having a custom C channel aluminum trailer built and had them build it so that the boat sat as low as possible. It ended up at 7' 3". It could have been lower but they would have had to make all of the trailer cross members in 4 pieces rather than 2. My garage door is 7' 11" high so it is perfect.

At 23' you may be able to fit a RZR without removing the swim platform. I have to remove mine every time but its just 2 bolts and 2 pins. I've gotten pretty good at it and can remove and reinstall it by myself in less than a minute.

My measurement from the TAPS plate to the end of the trailer with the tongue folded is 21' 3". The Boatmate trailers fold further back than mine so you would probably be under 21' without the platform.

stuey 03-11-2013 11:53 AM

Brett - I'm about 20'8" from the rear rubrail to the folded swing tongue. I didn't get the power wedge because it added another 6-7" to the overall length, I can just put the floating wedge down when I park it. I butt my boat right up to where it touches the rear drywall straight back and I think my garage is 20'10" in length. I'll check the tower height, it does fit inside the windshield when you fold it right down.