WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   mirror placement, just curious (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=789715)

wakebrdr94 08-20-2011 6:10 PM

mirror placement, just curious

So, I am just curious why people prefer tower arms for their mirror versus placing it on the windshield. Just my opinion, but that big arm from the tower for a mirror looks rediculous, at least on the g3, but to each his own. Can someone tell me why the arm mount is better?

tx_foilhead 08-20-2011 9:58 PM

I love mine because I hate hvng to look under it or off to the side to see it on the windshield. Getting it up keeps it out of my vision unless I want to look at it and when I do I'm still looking ahead. I spend a lot of time looking at the mirror because the hydrofoils tend to attract followers and more than anything I want to keep my rider safe from the idiots who like to pull up right behind them. Holding the boat path strait is easy enough if I can see the wash so I can concentrate on where the rider is and what's behind them until I need to make a turn then I can quickly see what or who I need to look out for next. I stay mostly is rivers so I don't have to worry as much about things to each side of me.

ian_ashton 08-21-2011 7:58 AM

Its also nice not having to take the mirror off every time you cover the boat.

wakebrdr94 08-21-2011 8:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ian_ashton (Post 1703104)
Its also nice not having to take the mirror off every time you cover the boat.

You have to take the mirror off if it is on the windshield? It looks like I would have to take the arm off if I had the g3 mount.

kstateskier 08-21-2011 11:20 AM

I don't see why you would take it off on the G3 mount. I actually think the G3 mount looks pretty cool, but everyone has an opinion. In my experience, the window mounts will slowly run a hole in the cover if you don't get it reinforced at that point and don't take the mirror off. I think tower mount is the only way to go. I think the view is much better from up there.

wakebrdr94 08-21-2011 12:04 PM

Correct me if im wrong , but it looks like the g3 would fold into the seat, or hinder the cover. If someone has one, can you let me know? Also, wouldn't you want the mirror off or covered if on a mount from the tower?

kstateskier 08-21-2011 5:11 PM

Never got people that buy a $50-100 cover to protect a $150ish mirror. I think the G3 used a thumb screw for the mount but could be wrong.

Bakes 08-21-2011 6:02 PM

Well. I can tell you that I love the arm mount off my Samson razor. I can see what is in front and in back. Drove my uncles new natique with a windshield mount and found that I couldn't see anything in front and my head was in the way for seeing things in back. Maybe it wasnt adjusted right but it sucked. The arm mount is the only way to go for me. Ymmv.

sodaksooner 08-22-2011 4:50 AM

The arm makes sense to me. When I have the seat bolster up when I am towing, the windshield mounted mirror is right in my line of sight, obscuring my forward view. It is also a PITA when someone walks through to sit up front, which with kids happens a lot.

dave27 08-22-2011 12:31 PM

I like the tower arm better for two reasons. I can get the mirror higher (better vision) and it doesn't get in the way when I cover the boat.

wakebrdr94 08-22-2011 11:07 PM

I don't understand how the mirror gets in the way when you cover the boat. Mine cover goes over everything just fine. I've heard it gets in the way from several people but don't see how. Maybe some dealers mount the mirror differently?

bhyatt_ohp 08-23-2011 6:37 AM

My friend has a 2010 vlx, window mounted mirror. I have a 2008 vlx with window mounted mirror. Neither get in the way of the cover. The mirror just folds down flat almost behind the windshield, cover goes on and its not in the way at all. I will say on the 2010 vlx i don't like the mirror mounted on the center window because what Brian said, it gets moved all the time with people going up front. On my 2008, the mirror is mounted to the drivers side window and doesn't get in the way of anything.

ktrent 08-23-2011 8:06 AM

Mines on drivers window. No issues with cover and keeps even more wind off driver. Also let's face it that is actually where you need it. Never put them on the walk through window. Why dealers put them there I will never understand.

sent with tapatalk.