WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through February 04, 2005 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=211794)
-   -   Bruised Eardrum??? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206218)

acurtis_ttu 01-11-2005 2:31 PM

Is this possible. This is the second time this has happened to me, I was riding Sunday , took a normal fall, dind't hurt at all. Got back up and it felt like ther was water in my ear. It's now been about two days and it still sounds/feels like I have water in my ear. Kinda have an echo in my head. but can hear ok out of it. Not 100% but can hear loud noises not real quite ones. Anyone know what's up? I've heard of people breaking eardrums, but this doesn't hurt at all just annoying as hell.

jarrod 01-11-2005 2:53 PM

If it didn't hurt when you fell then you just have water in your ear. It's also possible that your inner ear let water in through a previous perforation /injury. You should see a doctor to decrease your chances of infection.

leewilson 01-11-2005 3:16 PM

2 buddies perforated their eardrums. Gotta be careful not to get an ear infection. My buddies Ear/Nose/Throat doctor is a wakeboarder as well and always wears ear plugs before going out and has his kids wear them as well. <BR> <BR>Food for thought. <BR>

tcluv85 01-11-2005 3:54 PM

When I was swimming competitively I would get water in my ear occasionally and it won't come out for a day, so I would try different things. I am no doctor, but I hate going to them, so I did all kinds of crazy things. The least crazy was to pick up these drops from the store for swimmers ear, alcohol drops also worked. <BR> <BR>Now don't laugh because it worked for me, this is the craziest and funniest....If I had water in my right ear, I would tilt my head down to the right side and then jump on my right foot up a set of stairs a couple of times until the water popped. <BR> <BR>Silly huh, but man it worked for me. I know someone is going to call me stupid and tell me I shouldn't give crazy advice, so here is my disclaimer...I am not telling you to try this. I am just sharing with you what I did to get water out of my ear.

live2wakeboard 01-11-2005 7:17 PM

It is a ear infection i get them all the time u should just go see a doctor and he will give u some medicine then it is gone in a week or less.

sp0tts 01-11-2005 7:59 PM

You need to be carefull with wakeboarding. You can rupture an eardrum. I would say you haven't ruptured yours because a ruptured eardrum is very painful and it sounds to me like you just got a severe case of water in the ear. <BR> <BR>I have a friend who can't ride without a helmet cause he took a bad fall when he was working at a camp in Florida a few years ago. They had to drug him up and fly him home. Luckily he was able to get surgery and can hear out of that ear again. The helmets may look dorky, but they're better than not being able to hear out of an ear. He's a semi-pro rider too. Just goes to show it can happen to anyone.

jmo52 01-11-2005 8:58 PM

I had that same thing happen to me. My doctor said water went up my nose and was on the inner side of my eardrum. It went away after a couple of days. Lucky for you it wasnt Petaluma River water like mine YUCK.

big_ed_x2 01-11-2005 9:05 PM

I do what bsflower does,jump on the foot that my ear is plugged and tilt my head sideways.It does work!

psudy 01-12-2005 7:01 AM

Don't put alcohol in the ear until you are certain, ie doctor says, that it is not broke. I had tubes in my ears as a little kid and I always rerupture the same scar tissue. I put alcohol in it one time and the pain was almost too much to bare. I always use earplugs, but I usually rupture one once a year. I use floxin antibiotic drops to ward off infection. Bsflower has it right. You can also get something hot and lean your head over it. The change in temp going in the ear can help release the water.

doobie 01-16-2005 12:39 PM

Same thing happened to me.It was only ear wax that was pressed into a ball in the ear canal.Your local drug store sells kits to shoot water into your ear.Kinda like the deal you clean babies noses with,looks like a little turkey baster. If there is pain best to consult your physician

waterdog2 01-16-2005 7:06 PM

10 drops of hydrogen peroxide, 3 percent ,when it stops bubbling, wash it out with water. A few drops of vegetable oil also will soften it.