WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through September 10, 2007 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=500944)
-   -   Resale value opinion on boat (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492532)

geha 08-23-2007 5:23 AM

Thanks for the help on my previous post, I'm comfortable with either the VLX or X2 for wakesurfing. I guess my main question would be for resale value a year or two from now. Which boat would hold it value better if I purchase today: a 2006 Malibu Wakesetter VLX with 30hrs or a 2007 Mastercraft X2 with 80hrs? Opinions/advice would be appreciated. <BR>Thanks

wakereviews 08-23-2007 5:30 AM

IMO, that will be so close that it's just a wash. Those two brands hold their value very well, but MC maybe (and i might get crap for this) just a little tiny bit better... but again, i think that with those two boats, it's a negligible difference.

canecorso 08-23-2007 6:28 AM

MC will hold resale better--no crap needs to be given (onlyin). Look at used boats-their prices will show you the info you need.

xaggie 08-23-2007 6:44 AM

When the common buyer searches whats the first category usually asked? From Year X to Year Y. Thus the newer the boat stands to Re-Sell for more in the end. Though that is pure conjecture.

wake1823 08-23-2007 7:08 AM

MC holds resale no better than any other inboard. Looks at the starting numbers...MSRP ( sales price), then look at the percentages....everyone is roughly the same. The price at what an individual buyer paid is not the starting point to base what has better resale.

wakereviews 08-23-2007 7:20 AM

I think it depends on how long you hold onto the boat for. After 10 years, i personally think some boats are holding value better than others. After 4, the percentages are all probably very close.

wake1823 08-23-2007 7:27 AM

I'm surprised no one has taken them time to put together a schedule...it would be pretty easy assuming you could get a hold of the MSRP of new boats for the last ten years. It would be great advertising if one manufacturer did truly have better resale. I guiess it may be difficult to find out what sales prices were....you couldnt' go off of asking prices.

wakereviews 08-23-2007 7:30 AM

I think model is also a factor. A 1995 Ski Nautique 196 isn't going to hold the value like a 1995 Super Sport Nautique simply b/c of demand. So many factors to consider... <BR> <BR>But i think with the two boats he has chosen, it is a total wash. The X2 and VLX are both highly desirable boats that have good demand in the used boat market.

deuce 08-23-2007 8:25 AM

I think another consideration would be how many are on the market. If the market is flooded with either(numbers of original sales), you may end up competing with other sellers. <BR> <BR>I agree with the assertion that there is really no boat that is going to hold value better just off the name(percentage wise).....BUT, I think that the bigger names are going to get more traffic as there are those that would only buy a bigger name, then those that just want the best deal, regardless if it is a name or not.

wakereviews 08-23-2007 8:36 AM

I can tell you from traffic from my site that the top searched brands are in order: <BR> <BR>Mastercraft <BR>Malibu <BR>Nautique <BR>Supra <BR>Centurion <BR>Tige <BR>Moomba <BR>Sanger <BR>MB Sports <BR>Calabria <BR>Gekko <BR>Epic <BR>Supreme <BR>Sfvara

deuce 08-23-2007 8:40 AM

Now that is solid info....now add #'s of each brand and you are in an even better position, break that down by model........bla...bla...bla...

bmartin 08-23-2007 9:13 AM

Good info onlyinboards. I am not surprised by the top 3 but would have guessed differently on some of the other ranks. <BR> <BR>To answer your question on depreciation for the 2 boats you are considering, it will depend on the specific price you are paying relative to market value. NADA certainly has it's weaknesses, but thats what banks go buy and for these high dollar purchases, that matters. If one of those boats is at or below low retail and you truly are getting a 'deal', that one will probably depreciate less. On average though, I would suspect the boats would depreciate similarly. <BR> <BR>If you are really worried about depreciation, buy something older. A boat that is bought 5 years old and sold when it is 8 years old will depreciate less than a 1 yo boat later sold when it is 4yo. <BR> <BR>This may have already been suggested, but if the boat is primarily for surfing, have you looked at Centurions?