WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Driveway leaks?? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=776302)

andrewjet 02-22-2010 3:56 PM

My old tow vehicle(Jeep)which is now my work truck 135,000 miles and a little leaky on the NEW driveway. one of those door to door salesman came by with that driveway stuff and sprayed it on my oil leaks and it went away..THEN he opened the bottle and LICKED IT and said it was all natural. Anybody know of any tips on getting up old oil drips? I was thinking it had to be lemon or citrus juice?? Any ideas on how to get it up?? Jet <BR> <BR>p.s. since he was a door to door salesman and came while I was eating I kicked him out without asking how much or getting his ph#. lol

jtnz 02-22-2010 5:12 PM

Degreaser and a scrubbing brush works. <BR> <BR>Dish washing liquid works too. I spilled an oil pan on the driveway doing an oil change on my car one time. Hit it with dish washing liquid and a stiff brush with some water and it came up cleaner than the rest of the driveway no oil left at all. <BR> <BR>3rd trick might not work on dry oil stains but baking soda sucks up oil spills really well too. Best thing I've found for cleaning oil out of bilges. <BR> <BR>(Message edited by jtnz on February 22, 2010)

peter_c 02-22-2010 5:46 PM

Power washer and water straight from the hot water heater always works, with a little dish washing liquid thrown into the mix.

bcoutsfly 02-22-2010 6:02 PM

Nothing a little kitty litter won't take care of.

andrewjet 02-22-2010 7:13 PM

No guys..i know all of those tricks, thats for wet oil spills. These are DRY oil STAINS. They have been there for 6-months. I need a really good trick??

peter_c 02-22-2010 7:35 PM

The oil stains I was cleaning up were years old, but whatever. Hot water and a pressure washer worked for ME!

roughrivermike 02-23-2010 5:30 AM

Every now and then it pays to take some time and listen to a salesman.

wake1823 02-23-2010 5:45 AM

Bleach. or if you know what your doing hydrocloric acid ( dilluted) will take it right off.

jmcdanie 02-23-2010 5:48 AM

I usually take some WD-40 and spray on the old stains. Let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe it up with a dirty cloth. The WD-40 breaks up the oil and the WD-40 dries up after you wipe the spot up.

ajholt7 02-23-2010 6:13 AM

There is no such thing as a DRY oil stain. It is oil, it doesn't dry. I have taken kitty litter on old stains and smash it into the concrete with my foot. It worked to some degree. I never used it but, there used to be a product called revive-a-drive.

wtrgrl 02-23-2010 7:08 AM

Hydrochloric acid. Best driveway cleaner out there

bcoutsfly 02-23-2010 1:07 PM

Thank you AJ for backing that up. I've always used kitty litter, even on old stains. Work it with your foot then power wash it off.

crghou 02-23-2010 1:36 PM

the oil filter in my old truck was impossible to get out. It would always get oil all over the drive. Not the safest but I always just pored a little gas on it, hit it with the old push broom a few times then rinsed it off. Worked like a charm. Should do the same for old stains as well.

tuneman 02-23-2010 1:58 PM

Sodium Hydroxide. aka Caustic Soda or Lye. Sprinkle it on, add a touch of water, let it sit overnight and then wash it away. Keep the pets away. <BR> <BR>Oil-dri (same thing as kitty litter) is great stuff too, but you gotta let it sit longer.

andrewjet 02-24-2010 5:44 AM

Hey Thanks for all of the help. I will try a few. Thanks again

motorcitymatt 02-24-2010 7:09 PM

Break cleaner will get it off, no matter how long its been there. <BR> <BR>"Cheap and easy"

olskooltige 02-25-2010 7:44 AM

brake fluid

acurtis_ttu 02-25-2010 7:50 AM

For you envirnomental guys.....dillution is the solution to pollution, make sure you hose the area down really good to dillute the cleaners.