WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through November 07, 2008 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=644838)
-   -   CTI knee brace (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=642200)

dillls 11-04-2008 11:11 AM

You who have experience with these, which one did you go with?? CTI Pro Sport, CTI, or the CTI Vapor?? My rep seemed to not know which one was best for wakeboarding. I think these are newer models as compared to the older CTI2.

slipknot 11-04-2008 11:15 AM

Vapor is what I got. You will not be disappointed.

liquidmx 11-04-2008 11:33 AM

Vapor is designed to be slimmer for sports where you are wearing pads over the brace (such as hockey) from what I understand. The CTI Pro Sport is "supposed" to be the beefy-est in the line up. The newer straps are really nice too, they have this new material which gets tacky when wet. Check this link, I think its called the Anit-migration system. <BR> <BR><a href="http://www.ossur.com/lisalib/getfile.aspx?itemid=12668" target="_blank">http://www.ossur.com/lisalib/getfile.aspx?itemid=12668</a>

robertr720 11-04-2008 12:07 PM

Ya I have the vapor as well and it is awesome. Fits perfect and can't hardly tell that it's there. I have had them resize it 2 times since I had surgery and it fits perfect everytime I get it back. You do not need the extra thickness of the CTI or the pro sport because in the sense of the brace taking impact there is little to none in wakeboarding. I have dropped my brace before going to and from the boat a few times and it has resulted in only some scratches and paint chips. The customer service is great.

dillls 11-04-2008 4:39 PM

Sounds like I should go with the vapor. Thanks guys.

slipknot 11-04-2008 5:24 PM

if you are a bigger dude and you do inverts I would go with the Sport though, and make sure you get the new straps.

wvboard 11-05-2008 5:04 AM

Prosport...Its much stronger of a brace. They use more carbon fiber in it. The Vapor is designed to be slim and light. You dont need a light brace for wakeboarding...you wont be wearing it for long periods of time. The prosport is also designed to handle more impact. Use the antimigration strap that comes with it.

robertr720 11-05-2008 6:45 AM

By impact they mean the physical impact that the brace will take. Say you were a football player and needed a brace, you would go for the prosport. Unless you have people trying to tackle you while you are wakeboarding then you have no need to go any thicker while you are wakeboarding. That is the only activity that I still need a brace for besides freeboarding. The vapor is much more comfortable than the thick braces and you are less likely to bash your other knee on the brace while playing sports, particularly running.

wvboard 11-05-2008 7:02 AM

Ossur reps recommend the prosport for wakeboarding

brodie_chaboya 11-05-2008 8:29 AM

Ossur reps prob. don't wakeboard.

dillls 11-05-2008 10:00 AM

Maybe I will roll with the CTI regular, seems to be the happy medium. I am an intermediate level rider, and can do basic inverts. Has anyone actually held the vapor and the pro sport side by side? Is there that much weight and bulk difference??

ponder86 11-05-2008 11:26 AM

I just got 2 CTI pro sport braces...I tore my PCL in my right knee and ACL in my left knee...Haven't been able to use them for anything except wakesurfing and longboarding, not released to snowboard or wakeboard until the end of December, but I like them a lot so far...I don't really notice them when I'm using them.

wvboard 11-05-2008 12:45 PM

Vapor and the Prosport are almost identical in price....why not chose the stronger brace. Its your knee were talking about here. Would you want to go through surgey and PT again. I would never skimp on something protecting my knee.

bbr 11-05-2008 1:29 PM

Mike-- There is no guarantee that your knee will be safe from injury while wearing a brace. If your knee is going to go, its gonna happen no matter what kind of brace your wearing. That said, the Vapor is PLENTY strong. <BR> <BR>I have the Vapor, and it rocks. Nice and light, I can hardly notice that I'm wearing it. I did have to add a "hockey bend" to it once my quad muscle regained its size. You won't need anything more than the Vapor. Not only that but CTI is a kick ass company, and they have great customer service as well. <BR> <BR>Just like Robert said, when they talk about impact they are talking about football, baseball, soccer, etc.....not wakeboarding. The only impact we have is with the water.

liquidmx 11-05-2008 2:27 PM

Agreed with you BBR, but if you ride with a brace on cable, slide rails etc. your def gonna want to err on the side of caution and go with the stronger version.

adam_balon 11-05-2008 9:30 PM

prosport.

dillls 11-06-2008 7:42 AM

Just got off the phone with Ossur. <BR> <BR>Vapor = 17oz Prosport = 20oz <BR> <BR>They said there is very slight difference in bulk and if you held the two side by side you probably couldn't tell a difference. However, they did say that they both give they same support, and the diff is that the prosport will hold up better in full contact sports. <BR> <BR>For peace of mind I am going with the prosport. I can compromise on the 3 oz. Final decision. <BR> <BR>Thanks for all the input.

celticfc 11-07-2008 5:17 AM

How much are they both coming in at if there was no insurance cover?

wvboard 11-07-2008 5:25 AM

$1,000.00 to $1,500.00

liquidmx 11-07-2008 8:53 AM

1500 is the average price to the doc. Then depending on insurance you pay your portion. Sometimes 10% sometimes more depending.