WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through October 30, 2005 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=264506)
-   -   Sore ankles anyone? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260941)

ralph 10-18-2005 4:19 PM

I've had trouble with my ankles for a few years, I had a consistant "compression" injury (my name for it) where I get shooting pains through my ankle when the foot moves towards the shin. It never seemed to get better, I tried arnica cream, massage and stretching, it would get better but always be there to some degree. I rode most of last season with niggling pain. <BR> <BR>Anywho, I started skipping (jumping rope) to loose some weight for Rugby and my ankle got better in a week, I thought it was a coincidence so didn't think to much about it. A couple of weeks ago I injured by other ankle landing hard out in the flats and decided to try skipping to see if it would heal it up. I skip every morning for around 7-10 minutes, after 10 days my ankle is back to new and feels strong as ever. <BR> <BR>So if you have cronic ankle pain you might want to try skipping to help the healing process.

newmy79 10-18-2005 4:38 PM

I hurt my ankles about 3-4 weeks ago, came down horizontal to the water, board snapped up and my ankles came up towards my shins...2 weeks later, I worsened it, and last week just from stepping down onto the seat my ankle buckled..it's weird because it only happens at certain times, or angle i put my ankle..but the pain HURTS like hell.>> <BR> <BR>Maybe i'll try skipping rope...but i have to go see the doc to see if i did anything serious.. <BR> <BR>

jmv 10-18-2005 4:54 PM

I'll try that. <BR>Thanks

wakeriderixi 10-18-2005 5:00 PM

Yea thanks for the info... I belive i'll start!

grant_west 10-18-2005 5:32 PM

Skipping Rope??? Humm sounds intresting Ill try, <BR>I boke my ankle (talus) some 3 years ago and it still haunts me to this day, Every once in a while I hurt it Wakeboarding and Ill be limping for 2 weeks it makes me want to hang up the board. I havent thought of a strength training via jumping rope but Ill give it a try,

audiopro74 10-18-2005 6:05 PM

I have noticed the same thing. I partially contribute mine to being overweight. But have always suspected riding made it worse, since I didn't seem to have this untill recently. Guess I better go get me a rope.

humboldtboarder 10-18-2005 10:09 PM

I broke my tibia &amp; fibula about 2 1/2 years ago on a dirt bike. The tibia was broke just above the ankle and has given me a mild to moderate pain everytime I ride. I also get the severe pain in my ankle when I land like you decribed with my toes flexing toward my shin, then it bothers me and I have to limp for about 2-3 days. I have tried to think of different ways to exercise or rehab it but nothing has made much of an improvement. I never thought of a jump rope, I will give it a try. Thanks for the idea, I would be so happy if it were as good as my right ankle again.

buzz_grande 10-19-2005 12:04 AM

Over the years of volleyball, hockey, etc., I have sprained both ankles several times. Now, at my ripe, old age, they just about always bother me. Especially when I come up short on a w2w jump, and stack the top of the wake. Just about 8 months ago it was so bad that I was back in PT. Stretching really helps, along with an occasional adjustment by a chiropractor. What has helped me the most is getting on a routine of Glucosamine/Chondroitin (joint juice). I know a couple others that have seen a great benefit from this as well.

ghostrider_2 10-19-2005 6:17 AM

Darren sounds just like my left ankle after compressing extremely hard on a raley, not intentioal of course, I jacked both ankles good enough to force , yes force me off the water for 3 weeks, this was back in August, now my left ankle is doing what you described. <BR> <BR>I went out this past weekend for about the 3rd or 4th time since the accident and I could only ride for about 5-10mins total cause it hard everytime I wake jumped. I will start that jump roping thin today to give it a shot, oh andI do take glucosamine.

melvinator 10-19-2005 10:53 AM

Toes coming towards the shin is a dorsiflection injury. I am an expert on the subject. Try running with jump soles, skipping rope or any thing that will strengthen the ankle and calf. I ran 10 miles a week all winter with the jump soles and did not have any problems with my ankle all summer.