WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   tige owners...opinions wanted (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794556)

runin90lx 07-17-2012 7:54 PM

tige owners...opinions wanted

im currently an owner of a 2008 mastercraft x1. im looking into a 2010 rz2 because of reviews ive seen on the surf wake it makes. i was wanting to get some honest opinions on this boat from current owners?

how does the wake look for wakeboarding? are there any known problems from this boat or are they a pretty comparable boat to a mastercraft as far as build, fit, etc?

thanks in advance

dhill 07-17-2012 8:41 PM

i'm guessing this is everyone's opportunity to get revenge on cwb4me and hijack a tige thread :)

ixfe 07-17-2012 9:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhill (Post 1768591)
i'm guessing this is everyone's opportunity to get revenge on cwb4me and hijack a tige thread :)

Robert doesn't actually post in Tige threads. He just blows up every other thread on the board.

cwb4me 07-18-2012 3:35 AM

If you post this in the Wakesurfing thread you will get more responses.As far as wake boarding The wake is very good and very adjustable.As far as any known problems i have heard of some glitches on the Tige Touch,but they can be fixed by downloading the newer software if it already hasn't been done.As far as is it comparable to Mastercraft? I would suggest you go and demo one and then demo a Mastercraft the same day on the same body of water.You can then see how solid it's built and how well it handles.If you go to Boat Test.com. you can have a UNBIASED OPINION on both boats.You will find the Tige handles better in all conditions,is easier to turn in both directions and is much more fuel efficient.Boat Test.com is one of the few test sites that actually checks Fuel consumption per hour at different RPM'S.The wake surfing guys can give you the lowdown on a competition wave but you can just fill the rear surf corner with 600 lbs. set Taps on 4 and speed set to 11.2mph and you will have a long clean wave with lots of push.Good Luck

boomshot 07-18-2012 5:23 AM

Are you interested in the opinions of former Tige owners?

MattieK27 07-18-2012 5:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwb4me (Post 1768625)
If you post this in the Wakesurfing thread you will get more responses.As far as wake boarding The wake is very good and very adjustable.As far as any known problems i have heard of some glitches on the Tige Touch,but they can be fixed by downloading the newer software if it already hasn't been done.As far as is it comparable to Mastercraft? I would suggest you go and demo one and then demo a Mastercraft the same day on the same body of water.You can then see how solid it's built and how well it handles.If you go to Boat Test.com. you can have a UNBIASED OPINION on both boats.You will find the Tige handles better in all conditions,is easier to turn in both directions and is much more fuel efficient.Boat Test.com is one of the few test sites that actually checks Fuel consumption per hour at different RPM'S.The wake surfing guys can give you the lowdown on a competition wave but you can just fill the rear surf corner with 600 lbs. set Taps on 4 and speed set to 11.2mph and you will have a long clean wave with lots of push.Good Luck

Ah yes, another unbiased review by Tige4me...

Care to point to the boat tests that claim Tiges handle better than a specific Mastercraft model? I will give you Tiges are better in a chop, but its not night and day. My favorite part is how you completely ignored fit and finish.

I absolutely hate Mastercrafts, and almost bought an Tige last year. That being said, one is a top tier tow boat, and one is mid level. Go look at both, it will be fairly clear. Now is the MC worth the extra cash? Only you can answer that, but Tige prices are sneaking up there as well...

slax303 07-18-2012 7:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattieK27 (Post 1768640)

Care to point to the boat tests that claim Tiges handle better than a specific Mastercraft model? I will give you Tiges are better in a chop, but its not night and day. My favorite part is how you completely ignored fit and finish.

I absolutely hate Mastercrafts, and almost bought an Tige last year. That being said, one is a top tier tow boat, and one is mid level. Go look at both, it will be fairly clear. Now is the MC worth the extra cash? Only you can answer that, but Tige prices are sneaking up there as well...

I'm curious, what about the fit and finish is a step below Mastercraft? How is Tige a mid level in comparison?

Houstonshark 07-18-2012 7:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattieK27 (Post 1768640)

Come on Matt...your fuse on here has been way too short lately. The OP asked specifically for Tige Owners 'honest opinions'. I think it's safe to say that Robert replied with his opinion of the boats. You don't have to agree or like his opinion. He may not have worded everything correctly or included every aspect in great detail (honestly, he was possibly just trying not to get flamed) but he gave his opinion which is what the OP requested.

He stressed, like he always does that the OP go and drive the boat. As a current MC owner, the OP should be able to easily determine which boat's fit and finish he prefers, especially since the Tige is a 2010. Any fit and finish issues should be more apparent than with a brand new boat.

Back on topic, I demoed a MC X2 on the same day as a Tige RZR and while I thought the MC was a nice boat, I felt like the Tige out performed it in almost every way which is why I ordered one. I would suggest that you do the same. Drive the RZ2 just like you drive your current boat, surf behind it, wakeboard, etc.

I'm not a huge fan of some of the vinyl in the '09 - '11 Tige's and I'm also not a fan of the overly complicated and busy vinyl patterns but the interior is still nice and very functional IMO.

Depending on how handy you are, the dealer may also play a big role in your decision.

runin90lx 07-18-2012 7:56 AM

i will definetly play behind the boat, and drive it as well as letting my wife drive it since she does all the pulling when we surf or wakeboard. thanks for everyones opinions. im at a tossup of buying a used boat that i know nothing about, or waiting another year and saving up to order a new boat. i would probably be happy with either choice, i just hate taking a hickey being the new boat owner on the depreciation the first few years of owning it.

tyler97217 07-18-2012 8:06 AM

I have to say that Tige has always been below MC in fit in finish in the past, but I did check them out real good at the boat show this year and they have really stepped it up. I was really impressed with their boats this last year. Price tag is a bit high though for me.

lifetimewarranty 07-18-2012 8:08 AM

Just speaking from the sidelines...the newer X2 is crap in the handling department compared to his X1 (my '04 X2). I drove one and was completely underwhelmed. Please don't use that boat to base all of MC's line on. I believe that is the only boat they didn't put tracking fins on.

I also doubt the Tige "handles better in all conditions, etc" as CWB4COolaid thinks.

I do agree that he(the OP) should just go drive them and ride behind them to see how he likes them. Coming from a newer MC X1 he should have a great handle on how a very nice boat and possibly one of the greatest wakeboarding wakes compares to the newer tige's/MC's.

I'd say try to hang out in both brands for a while to really get a feel for layout/ride/etc. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand.

At the risk of being flamed if surfing is what you are after why aren't you looking at 'bu's surfgate?

runin90lx 07-18-2012 8:15 AM

surfing isnt the only thing we do...its a majority due to not having the best water on the small lakes around my area....but we do wakeboard quite a bit in late afternoons when its not so busy on the lake. so i want the best of both worlds if thats ever possible. the tige seems to be the closest in the price range i can afford

MattieK27 07-18-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Houstonshark (Post 1768681)
Come on Matt...your fuse on here has been way too short lately. The OP asked specifically for Tige Owners 'honest opinions'. I think it's safe to say that Robert replied with his opinion of the boats. You don't have to agree or like his opinion. He may not have worded everything correctly or included every aspect in great detail (honestly, he was possibly just trying not to get flamed) but he gave his opinion which is what the OP requested.

He stressed, like he always does that the OP go and drive the boat. As a current MC owner, the OP should be able to easily determine which boat's fit and finish he prefers, especially since the Tige is a 2010. Any fit and finish issues should be more apparent than with a brand new boat.

Back on topic, I demoed a MC X2 on the same day as a Tige RZR and while I thought the MC was a nice boat, I felt like the Tige out performed it in almost every way which is why I ordered one. I would suggest that you do the same. Drive the RZ2 just like you drive your current boat, surf behind it, wakeboard, etc.

I'm not a huge fan of some of the vinyl in the '09 - '11 Tige's and I'm also not a fan of the overly complicated and busy vinyl patterns but the interior is still nice and very functional IMO.

Depending on how handy you are, the dealer may also play a big role in your decision.

I fail to see how anything I said indicates a short fuse. I asked where the articles are that say Tiges handle better, and pointed an obvious difference in trim/fit and finish. As someone who almost bought a Tige, I thought that was useful unbiased info.

johnboyy7 07-18-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Houstonshark (Post 1768681)

thank you TJ. you pointed out the obvious that should have been noticed if they werent so worried about a guy giving his asked for opinion. My gosh people......... if cwb and hunter and whoever wants to brag or be proud of what they own or act like a know it all.......... then so be it. You 'calling' them out, isnt stopping them, changing their opinion, or altering what they say.

POINT. as tired as yall are of what they say, we are just as tired of reading what yall say back.

davenk 07-18-2012 11:01 AM

I have an 09 Z1 (not an RZ2) but I looked at just about every boat dealer in Houston. I ended up with Tige because I felt their fit and finish was great, and after working out a few "new boat bugs" all is great, on my 3rd season and I will most likely never buy anything other than Tige. My dealer has been great as well, that is one thing that is super important as mentioned above especially if you are not handy. I have been on and around boats since the mid 80's growing up on boats and my wife and I purchasing boats as I got older, so not too much surprises me anymore with boats. The engine is solid, hull is solid, no bumps or bangs over other wakes, tower doesn't rattle, no vinyl tears, etc.

I shopped for 2 years before making my purchase, went to every boat show and my wife and I crawled in and around every boat. That is the best part about boat shows, you can compare models by walking around the corner and not driving across town.

I refuse to put down other manufacturers so I will refrain from judgment on other brands.

timmyb 07-18-2012 12:26 PM

I replied to your thread over on Tigeowners...

TParke 07-18-2012 12:48 PM

I have a friend with an RZ2. I really like the surf wake. But I feel the wake board wake is not as good as some of the other boats in their line.

xstarrider 07-18-2012 1:35 PM

Owning a x1 hull, and now shopping in the same area for little over a year demoing I will give you my review after demoing an RZR and getting into a z1.

Tige is a great boat. Surf waves on all their boats are above average in every category indeed, they have a solid power plant and their layouts are great. They handle rough water awesome. Even their r20/RZR.

Here we're mh gripes and why I don't pull the trigger

The RZR/r20 was a pain to get into the observers seat. Even with the new style strap for late 2012 to address the issue. Their rear storage compartments can't hold an adult board and offer next to zero room for much bigger sacs. My pet peev was the lack of throttle armrest. It love driving and can sit behind the wheel all day and do at least twice a week. It is a small shelf/lip thy Tige claims to be the armrest. It's pitiful. Te walk thru side hatch won't stay open with factory hatch shock. Easy enough to replace with more pounds. The boat at ski speeds proposed a ton even with the plate while the plate did eliminate it when fully engaged it still wasn't x1 handling. The nose while it rides high under way and slices through the chop there is next to zero room for extra ballast even with factory option. I actually perfected the vinyl and dash along with the interior on the R20 vs the RZR. I am not fan of Tige touch. Even on test drive it went haywire. I prefers te toggles on the R20. Te showroom rzr boat already had frayed w
Edges and stress points from all the diamond stitching. And the flip over corner seats spell ankle killers. The wakeboard wake could not hold a cane to my x 1 I run with 2700 lbs.

Positives

Space was rediculous, the storage was good everywhere except the rear hatches. Really high gunwales and deep interior. Boat was a rocket out of the hole and rode the chop like a 24ftr. Surf wave was great for 20 ft'r. One of te top I say behind the Centurion Cyclone. Ski wake was above average for v drive as well. Towers were easy to use an sturdy no matter what model. The boat didn't seem to rattle or flex at all through double ups.

The z1
Complaints
Tige touch. Would order it without it. Diamond stitching. Wakeboard wake was sub par but I only had 2. 350 sacs on top of the standard 3 tanks and a 600 in the walkway. The transition was short but it had a great lip. Still not my x1 205 v wake but I didnt get to mess with it. And last the again lack of drivers armrest. It's again a small ledge.

Pro
Boat is humongous, love the style lines. Interior was well thought out surf wave was the bomb for a 21 ft'r. The small bow may be a negative for some but it seems like Tige decided to do the same mc did with the x15. Add more space to te cockpit by moving driver console forward and shortening up the bow. I really like it. Ski wake was respectable especially of a v drive that size. It tracked and drove way better than the RZR I really really liked this boat but the wakeboats wake was not to te standards I thought. However now that I am moving in a more surf direction it may be the boat.

Overall I think Tige is average on fit n finish. However I was expecting a bit more for their price point. It's a solid boat indeed construction wise but cup holders ,lack of drivers armrest, and the small things just in my eyes didn't fit the price tag in my area. However from my search my area is 5-7 k higher and that's partly due to the dealer just not dealing on wakeboats because the make their sales on yachts and big I/o's. It's just hard to go from the performance I get for
My boat to upgrade for a lesser performing wakeboard and ski wake. However I need the room here with my family so I am going to have to sacrifice something and I seem to surf more. I say z1 over the RZR all day.

cwb4me 07-18-2012 1:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xstarrider (Post 1768882)
Owning a x1 hull, and now shopping in the same area for little over a year demoing I will give you my review after demoing an RZR and getting into a z1.

Tige is a great boat. Surf waves on all their boats are above average in every category indeed, they have a solid power plant and their layouts are great. They handle rough water awesome. Even their r20/RZR.

Here we're mh gripes and why I don't pull the trigger

The RZR/r20 was a pain to get into the observers seat. Even with the new style strap for late 2012 to address the issue. Their rear storage compartments can't hold an adult board and offer next to zero room for much bigger sacs. My pet peev was the lack of throttle armrest. It love driving and can sit behind the wheel all day and do at least twice a week. It is a small shelf/lip thy Tige claims to be the armrest. It's pitiful. Te walk thru side hatch won't stay open with factory hatch shock. Easy enough to replace with more pounds. The boat at ski speeds proposed a ton even with the plate while the plate did eliminate it when fully engaged it still wasn't x1 handling. The nose while it rides high under way and slices through the chop there is next to zero room for extra ballast even with factory option. I actually perfected the vinyl and dash along with the interior on the R20 vs the RZR. I am not fan of Tige touch. Even on test drive it went haywire. I prefers te toggles on the R20. Te showroom rzr boat already had frayed w
Edges and stress points from all the diamond stitching. And the flip over corner seats spell ankle killers. The wakeboard wake could not hold a cane to my x 1 I run with 2700 lbs.

Positives

Space was rediculous, the storage was good everywhere except the rear hatches. Really high gunwales and deep interior. Boat was a rocket out of the hole and rode the chop like a 24ftr. Surf wave was great for 20 ft'r. One of te top I say behind the Centurion Cyclone. Ski wake was above average for v drive as well. Towers were easy to use an sturdy no matter what model. The boat didn't seem to rattle or flex at all through double ups.

The z1
Complaints
Tige touch. Would order it without it. Diamond stitching. Wakeboard wake was sub par but I only had 2. 350 sacs on top of the standard 3 tanks and a 600 in the walkway. The transition was short but it had a great lip. Still not my x1 205 v wake but I didnt get to mess with it. And last the again lack of drivers armrest. It's again a small ledge.

Pro
Boat is humongous, love the style lines. Interior was well thought out surf wave was the bomb for a 21 ft'r. The small bow may be a negative for some but it seems like Tige decided to do the same mc did with the x15. Add more space to te cockpit by moving driver console forward and shortening up the bow. I really like it. Ski wake was respectable especially of a v drive that size. It tracked and drove way better than the RZR I really really liked this boat but the wakeboats wake was not to te standards I thought. However now that I am moving in a more surf direction it may be the boat.

Overall I think Tige is average on fit n finish. However I was expecting a bit more for their price point. It's a solid boat indeed construction wise but cup holders ,lack of drivers armrest, and the small things just in my eyes didn't fit the price tag in my area. However from my search my area is 5-7 k higher and that's partly due to the dealer just not dealing on wakeboats because the make their sales on yachts and big I/o's. It's just hard to go from the performance I get for
My boat to upgrade for a lesser performing wakeboard and ski wake. However I need the room here with my family so I am going to have to sacrifice something and I seem to surf more. I say z1 over the RZR all day.

Nice write up.The OP was asking about the RZ2 though.That is the 22 foot boat with a 102" beam.The RZR is a 20' boat with a 100" beam.

timmyb 07-18-2012 2:15 PM

Nice writeup on the smaller boats swatguy!

Houstonshark 07-18-2012 2:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwb4me (Post 1768886)
Nice write up.The OP was asking about the RZ2 though.That is the 22 foot boat with a 102" beam.The RZR is a 20' boat with a 100" beam.

The RZR/R20 has a 94" beam. I would love to have that extra 6"...

xstarrider 07-18-2012 2:45 PM

Whoops I swear it said RZR. Oh well. Shiat That was lot of typing...............

My short opinion then. For the amount of money a Tige costs there are better wakeboats and wakeboard wakes out there, but if you are a surfer they are hard to beat.

cwb4me 07-18-2012 2:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Houstonshark (Post 1768908)
The RZR/R20 has a 94" beam. I would love to have that extra 6"...

I wasn't 100% SURE SO I GAVE YOU CREDIT FOR THE EXTRA 6".;) If you don't tell i won't.:D

xstarrider 07-18-2012 2:50 PM

But that 94 is huge compared to others. Hahahaha

davenk 07-18-2012 3:17 PM

Swatguy - just curious - how in your opinion does the wake lack for wakeboarding on the Z1? If I understand you correctly you have the standard 3 tanks (900 lbs) + 2 350's and a 600 = 2,200. How many people with that and how much gas?

I have towed very good riders with the stock 900 lbs full, full tank of gas, and maybe 6 in the boat with 7th being the rider and they had no problem throwing raley, tantrum, back roll, w2w 360's & 180's etc. We go around 22-23 with 70' rope (maybe 75' & 24 can't remember exactly). We usually have taps between 3-5 for boarding.

I am starting to get into surfing as well, what is your setup? We are running full front and one side tank plus fly high 1,000 sac. I am still trying to get it set just right though. I need more practice. Maybe around 10.8-11 taps 5-7

Do you have the 343 or smaller engine?

xstarrider 07-18-2012 4:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davenk (Post 1768926)
Swatguy - just curious - how in your opinion does the wake lack for wakeboarding on the Z1? If I understand you correctly you have the standard 3 tanks (900 lbs) + 2 350's and a 600 = 2,200. How many people with that and how much gas?

I have towed very good riders with the stock 900 lbs full, full tank of gas, and maybe 6 in the boat with 7th being the rider and they had no problem throwing raley, tantrum, back roll, w2w 360's & 180's etc. We go around 22-23 with 70' rope (maybe 75' & 24 can't remember exactly). We usually have taps between 3-5 for boarding.

I am starting to get into surfing as well, what is your setup? We are running full front and one side tank plus fly high 1,000 sac. I am still trying to get it set just right though. I need more practice. Maybe around 10.8-11 taps 5-7

Do you have the 343 or smaller engine?

I don't own the boat still own my x1/ XStar. My comments were strictly based on my boats wakeboard wake vs that of both the z1 and RZR. I misread the op's post and thought he was looking RZR and he has the identical boat I own.........so my comments were based of just those head to head vs the x1. By no means was I saying their wakes were not respectable at all. I could throw down my small arsenal of 5 inverts, the standards of tantrum , br, scarecrow, ts back, r2r. It was solid but the amplitude and transition were much smaller/shorter compared to my boat sacked out. Again I don't have 750's in te rear to give it an exact comparison as that z1 has a humongous beam. So I prefaced that.. I ride at 24.5 and 80ft. Had to shorten it to 75 on the z1.

Boat had 343

08wakesetter 07-18-2012 5:08 PM

I came off of a 2008 Malibu and into a 2012 RZ2. Not sure on the Mastercraft things, but I can comment on the Tige.

First off, let me say I liked my Malibu...was pretty peppy with the 320 lcd in it, and the surf wave was decent, but I had to put 1200 in the rear locker, wedge down, mid ballast full and a 400 lbder on the rear seat.

The malibu although lighter than the RZ2, had a better hole shot. My big complaint with the RZ2 (343) is that it seems slow out of the hole. I pulls me up great, but my perception is that I put the throttle down and then it spins water.

That said, the F/F on the 2012 is great. I had a few issues, (less than my malibu) and they were resolved. This boat is ROCK solid thru the chop and nasties that a small lake will have. I have surfed on a small lake, last sunday, and I could still ride and the water was trash!

I find with my Inland Surfer Swallow V2, I can ride no problem with pro ballast set up only. It makes a better and longer wake than the Bu did with a lot more wt. More than likely due to the flatter hull in the bu.

I do like the taps tho..it is super fun to porpoise the boat in the waves like you are jumping it. When tubing with the kids...taps adjustment makes a big diff in the handling...ie Taps at 8 is super easy to steer and make sharp turns with one hand.

My vinyl look and quality is top notch...better than the Bu. I think the MC is real nice also...but I think for the cash...the Tige has a better bang for the buck.

Storage...hate that I don't have bow storage due to ballast...but oh well. Rear lockers are big enough for me..I have ropes and vests in one...and throw cushion and giant tube in the other. I don't put boards in the lockers...I like them on the racks......or in my truck when going to the lake.

Whatever you get, remember, your boat will be nicer than 90% of everything else out there, so be happy and enjoy.

TroyD 07-18-2012 6:03 PM

Brands better than Tige (in order of betterness):

Mastercraft
Correct Craft
Malibu
Centurion
Supra
Moomba
Axis
Epic
MB
Supreme
Cobalt
Four Winns
Bayliner
Any pontoon boat maker
Lund
Sea Doo

07-18-2012 6:48 PM

Quote:

Haha. I thought you were serious for a moment there.

No body can decide for you. You'll have to get out and drive the boats first hand. Then you'll quickly figure out what your looking for. If you've got any local summer boat shows going on, go check those out so you can compare interiors/looks/styling and get an idea of what your wanting. Don't let anyone talk you out of what you want because ultimately, its you and your family that is going to be enjoying the boat. If tige's were complete s***, they wouldn't still be around, so take ^^^ comment with a grain of salt.

pennery 07-18-2012 7:18 PM

RZ2 Handles like crap compared to my VLX... More difficult to get a nice wave as well. The VLX is easy to get nice wave out of it.... I spent a few days on an RZ2 houseboating and although I didn't mind the fit and finish the bow is like a scoop... That boat got dunked more times in one weekend than mine does in 3 years... They are nice looking boats but not my cup of tea...

cwb4me 07-18-2012 7:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroyD (Post 1768963)

Mastercraft
Correct Craft
Malibu
Centurion
Supra
Moomba
Axis
Epic
MB
Supreme
Cobalt
Four Winns
Bayliner
Any pontoon boat maker
Lund
Sea Doo

Another pot calling the kettle black. i.e. the chosen few.You forgot Sea Ray,Chaparrel,Stingray,velocity,Chris Craft ect.:p

wakebordr11 07-18-2012 7:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pennery (Post 1768982)
RZ2 Handles like crap compared to my VLX... More difficult to get a nice wave as well. The VLX is easy to get nice wave out of it.... I spent a few days on an RZ2 houseboating and although I didn't mind the fit and finish the bow is like a scoop... That boat got dunked more times in one weekend than mine does in 3 years... They are nice looking boats but not my cup of tea...

Never seen a bow get dunked that wasn't due to driver skill- or lackthereof... Or weight setup, which still falls on the driver to manage and know when too much is indeed, too much..

ixfe 07-18-2012 8:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroyD (Post 1768963)

Mastercraft
Correct Craft
Malibu
Centurion
Supra
Moomba
Axis
Epic
MB
Supreme
Cobalt
Four Winns
Bayliner
Any pontoon boat maker
Lund
Sea Doo

Troy,

I love your style. It has gotten to the point where I seriously start laughing BEFORE reading your post... Seeing your name is enough!

Thanks for keeping this place fun. :-)

timmyb 07-19-2012 8:23 AM

Quote:

It does take a small driving adjustment when coming from a traditional bow to a pickle fork, I'm guessing you would do the same in a F21/23 Tomcat, XStar, Mojo, A22, etc. I dunked the bow a few times the first year of ownership but nothing since then. If you couldn't get a nice wave out of an RZ2, I don't know what to tell you. It's super easy, fill up the corner you want for surfing and set the speed 10.2 to 11.2 and adjust the taps depending on how tall you want the wave to be.

boomshot 07-19-2012 9:51 AM

Tige. Well.
Anything newer than 2010 or so is probably passable. Maybe even good.

Anything earlier and I wouldn't touch one with Ashton Kutcher's money.

We had 2 early V-Rides and they were, as I have said, the worst boats I had ever been around or ever been around since. One went away, the replacement boat was an identical nightmare. I swear I wanted to see that boat at the bottom of the lake. We then had a 2006 24VE. Junk. Just too many reasons to list. Ran better than the Vride but was uttter garbage comparatively. This one blue Ski Nautique 2001 (80's) on that lake had tow me back to the ramp about 6 times in one summer with the first V-Ride, 3 with the 24. In one summer.

They seem to be under new/better/more attentive management so things may be shaping up. I know they read all this stuff. Last time I went off I got invited to Tige HQ. They seem to be better now. I would not touch an old one. A new one may be an option for some part of the market. Not me, not ever.

Houstonshark 07-19-2012 9:59 AM

My RZR is a little different than the RZ2 but taking water over the bow was an issue for us early on. The RZR needs more bow weight in order to use more than about 25% rear ballast if you are wanting a huge wake. The stock ballast in the bow is 400lbs. We now have about 1000lbs in the bow so I have to be careful, especially if we have anyone sitting up there.

We ride on a river that's not real wide and has lots of sections with bulkheads and double bulkheads that make picking up a rider fairly challenging as the bulkheads just bounce the wakes back into the river. The easiest way to avoid taking water over the bow is by using reverse (or power turns...ha!). It takes a little practice but when a rider falls I find it so much easier to pull the boat to neutral, let the wave pass and either slowly turn around or reverse a little to turn the boat and then go pick up the rider.

Obviously you have to be aware of the rope at all times when reversing but if you are going slow and see a roller approaching, you can easily just put the boat in reverse and you won't soak the bow.

Another trick I learned is when a rider falls and I'm getting ready to turn around to get them and there's a lot of chop or boat traffic, I run the TAPS all the way up to 8. While underway, this raises the bow dramatically and keeps it well away from even monster rollers. What we have to be careful of on the river, especially near bulkheads is perpetuating a cycle of creating chop by trying to avoid it.

I can't imagine this being as much of an issue on a lake or larger river and I would think the RZ2 would not have near the problem I do, due to my boat being smaller and the amount of weight we have in the bow.

boomshot 07-19-2012 10:00 AM

Again, things are looking up for those boats, but I would not advocate for buying a used one. I don't know what the dividing line between Tige's good years vs Tige's bad years is. Other should chime in because I am obviously heavily biased (is bias is equivalent to experience).

08wakesetter 07-19-2012 1:27 PM

Quote:

I wouldnt say that..........I now have 25 hours on the RZ2, and I have YET to take water over the bow...even my wife, who sometimes turns into the wave, has commented that we take less water over the bow in the rz2. It handles the big waves better than the vlx for sure, but if you want to know...you gotta try em all.

I didnt drive the RZ2 prior to buying it...mistake....I actually had purchased an rzr...but then saw how small it was. Bought the rz2.....untested. My only complaint?...the prop...feels like it doesnt get the boat out of the hole well at all. But everything else....I think is nicer than the Bu I had.

bruizza 07-19-2012 2:19 PM

For those of you that don't like the Holeshot on your RZ2 what prop are you running? I have the Acme 1235 on mine and Holeshot is great. I live at 5k+ elevation so I lose roughly 30% of my HP. I have the pro ballast system and unless we 8+ people in the boat it is fine.

Houstonshark 07-19-2012 2:53 PM

I believe the stock prop on the RZ2 is an ACME 537. The 1235 would be a pretty dramatic improvement but based on Wicked's comments on the TO forum, the 15" props are where its at.

cwb4me 07-19-2012 5:41 PM

I had a 1992 Correct Craft Nautique Excel w/275 hp and . my 2007 Tige 22ve with a 340 marine power engine seemed to have a much better hole shot.Then we got the 2011 RZ2 and the increase in throttle response was Amazing with only 3 more HP. It has a 343 PCM motor.The Correct Craft was the fastest of the three.It would go 51 MPH ,the RZ2 does 45 MPH and the 22ve would do 43 MPH.From what i've seen you can really improve your hole shot with a new prop.You can call ACME and tell them what you have and the can suggest a replacement for a better hole shot.