WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Wearing t-shirts over vests? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794981)

Reez 08-09-2012 7:45 AM

Wearing t-shirts over vests?

Perhaps I'm just an old man but I've noticed in a lot of vids and such people are wearing tshirts while riding and alot of times over their vests. Is this just a style thing or something pros do to wear sponsors shirt? I'm just curious but it seems to be a pretty common thing these days.

petrie141 08-09-2012 7:50 AM

When I was younger we would do it if we had a bad sunburn... it always seemed to weigh us down and limit our range of motion. I think the pros just do it when they're free riding or shooting some video. Seems like if the rider has a vest sponsor, wouldn't they want their vest to be shown on the rider? I don't get it... I also don't get the whole cut off pants being used as board shorts...

behindtheboat 08-09-2012 7:51 AM

Various reasons, most stupid. Pros = to promote sponsor, cover up not having a vest, cover up what type of vest their wearing. Not Pros = because they see the Pros do it, because they think they're sponsored/want to promote something, they think others, or themselves, look silly in a vest and want to look more "normal".

I personally have no desire to ride in a wet t shirt, looking like a drowned rat, and I'm comfortable with how I look in a vest..

Reez 08-09-2012 7:59 AM

Yeah I kind of thought of the whole not wearing a sponsors vest thing which made sense.... sunburn makes sense..... Never really got the whole looking cool thing. Seems like riding speaks for itself

brett33 08-09-2012 8:13 AM

I ride in an old A10 jet pilot and if I don't wear a tank or something over it the vest comes unzipped on almost every fall. Just helps me to keep from messing with my vest.

jperkinsttu 08-09-2012 8:24 AM

I wear one when I ride cable bc my vest is too short and I always get a nice lower back/upper a$$ sunburn. I wear a Dryfit tshirt so at least it dries out pretty quick after I fall and get back to the dock. Out on the boat I don't worry about it bc I always have shade in the boat and my vest covers as well. I'm a ginger so this plays into my thinking haha.

I know a lot of people do it at the cable to try and hide they are wearing non-cga vests. As for behind the boat I have no ideas other than what been mentioned.

srock 08-09-2012 8:46 AM

I wear a long sleeve dryfit/rashguard type shirt 95% of the time to keep the sun off and to keep cool. I find a damp dryfit keeps me nice and cool when out of the water on hot days. I look for long sleeves and a type that is tall in the neck although I could just regrow my mullet. The shirts work best when tight and I never wear them over a vest...whats the point of that...

I also often wear a loose fitting long sleeve version while off shore fishing or in the sun. I love the new technical fabrics.

shawndoggy 08-09-2012 8:49 AM

It compliments my flatbill cap.

BamaLurker 08-09-2012 9:21 AM

Man I get sick of being asked this question. I can't speak for the guys wearing a shirt while doing nothing but wake 2 wake but I always wear a t shirt when hitting rails. After you've fallen on sum dry trex you'll understand. Has nothing to do with trying to b stylish for me at least. My lower back thanks me everytime I end a set with no trex burn.

VinnyA 08-09-2012 10:22 AM

I always wear a lax pinney over my life vest. Ever since I've done it I have stomped a new trick every time out lol

jarrod 08-09-2012 10:35 AM

For the same reason snow boarders do it. To incorporate some skate style into our image.

I don't do it. I hate the extra 2 pounds of wet shirt, and having to pack home a soaking wet cotton shirt.

08-09-2012 10:39 AM

If I wear a shirt over my vest it'll look like Im not wearing anything since I ride in speedos. Trying to keep the tan lines minimal

Reez 08-09-2012 10:52 AM

To the cables who wear it to protect during rails i can get that. I am strictly a boat guy so I wouldnt understand that.

Jmaxymek 08-09-2012 10:56 AM

Trex burns hurt and tend to end up as scars for me... I wear a shirt sometimes on cable, but never behind the boat.

theloungelife 08-09-2012 1:49 PM

I'll second wearing a longsleeve rash guard under the vest. Awesome sun protection and it cuts down on the smack down. I tried wearing a shirt over my vest it was just too heavy

behindtheboat 08-09-2012 1:50 PM

In the over a decade I've ridden cables, I've only "burned" my forearm, which a shirt doesn't cover, and the required vest covers the torso. Winching seems like the only time it would actually make sense, and like J-Rod said, it's more trying to be a skater and keep it real.

tonyv420 08-09-2012 2:11 PM

I wear a tank to cover my fat a$$ belly!! over my non CGA vest! it also goes with my flat bill cap!!

imondi 08-09-2012 7:45 PM

http://img.tapatalk.com/aefdb04d-75af-068d.jpg

I'm gonna take up this rash guard under the vest idea for rails! Haha

srock 08-10-2012 5:41 AM

get a good burn on that and it will leave a nice scar to talk about

MrPeepers 08-10-2012 5:47 AM

Wakeboarding is dangerous. I now wear gloves in addition to a t-shirt over my vest after I sustained this brutal injury.
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...y/papercut.jpg

simplej 08-10-2012 6:07 AM

My brother does. It fits his style and even eventuates it and everything seems to flow more. Simple as that.

MrPeepers 08-10-2012 6:11 AM

Does anyone else wear knee pads?

baitkiller 08-10-2012 9:34 AM

I thought about wearing a cup the first time I got ball smacked riding cable. I will wear a rash guard under my vest normally and long sleeved Ts while in the boat.

kybool 08-10-2012 9:43 AM

Does anyone else wear knee pads?

Hahaha, only to my night job.

Tucker_McElroy 08-10-2012 9:44 AM

I have been pulled over by the sheriff no less than four times because idiots riding behind my boat have t-shirts over their vests. The sheriff can't see if they are wearing a vest or not and bingo, it is an excuse to pull us over and go through a damn safety check. The t-shirt thing is just plain stupid and is asking for trouble, at least here in AZ and UT.

kristian 08-10-2012 11:01 AM

Hot days at the cable where you're cutting laps a wet shirt does keep you cool..... other than that, don't really get it.

waketx05 08-11-2012 6:09 PM

Plain and simple. Dumb trend.

WaterBullDawg 08-12-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr (Post 1774721)
If I wear a shirt over my vest it'll look like Im not wearing anything since I ride in speedos. Trying to keep the tan lines minimal

#swag

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

madcityskier 08-12-2012 9:19 PM

I'm calling BS on the back injury. No way a vest is allowing that but a t shirt prevents it. Or do you ride with an orange horseshoe that leaves your back exposed?

imondi 08-13-2012 2:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madcityskier (Post 1775410)
I'm calling BS on the back injury. No way a vest is allowing that but a t shirt prevents it. Or do you ride with an orange horseshoe that leaves your back exposed?

I wear a jet pilot comp vest and I fell on the edge of the slider. When I was sliding across on my back it pushed the vest over. It really wasn't as bad as it looked! Haha

srock 08-14-2012 8:14 AM

If your going to do it, make sure your shirt matches your socks!

skiboarder 08-14-2012 9:42 AM

I don't wear a shirt unless it is super-sunny. And then it is under my vest. The one time I tried it over, I kept getting tangled in my handle-passes. Anyone else had this problem?

As far as protection goes. I don't wear my techy-thin boardshorts at the park anymore unless I have too. I ripped a pair and in the process cut myself more than once. Now I wear walking shorts or even my old work slacks cut-off. they are a thicker and if they get destroyed I am not too worried about it.

dizzlestoy 08-15-2012 8:52 PM

Then why don't you put it under your jacket?