WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   Juan Williams Fired by NPR (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784297)

poser007 10-21-2010 3:48 PM

Juan Williams Fired by NPR

Pretty sure this would end up here eventually so here ya go.[/B]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1...uffington+Post)

ttrigo 10-21-2010 5:01 PM

I saw those comments this morning on the news. lame. he says what 75% of americans think when they are at the airport, and he gets fired? ironic how the subject he was speaking on is what got him fired. political correctness is ruining this country from the inside out.

ilikebeaverandboats 10-21-2010 5:13 PM

I have an email that I got that talks about the same idea. would be willing to PM if anyones interested.

ttrigo 10-21-2010 5:20 PM

you can pm it to me.

ilikebeaverandboats 10-21-2010 5:34 PM

PM'd its not entirely related, but part of it is.

fly135 10-21-2010 6:07 PM

The last part of the article and link seems to explain it all. It wasn't that comment. It was his association with Fox News. The comment apparently gave them a hook to hang his walking papers on.

ttrigo 10-21-2010 6:29 PM

thanks Joey. I think I had actually seen it before. sadly, it rings true. I have posted stuff on here from Danish friends who are scared to death of Muslims now. PC Liberalism is slowly but surely killing Europe now as well. I cant quite figure out why Obama wants us to be just like Europe too??

poser007 10-21-2010 7:45 PM

The sad thing is the PC crowd is a relatively small group. So my question is, how can a small group of progressives push their agenda on an overwhelming majority? Yet it's still happening!!!:mad:

pwrvelocity 10-22-2010 7:28 AM

^^^ Amen!

snyder 10-22-2010 9:26 AM

...because heaven forbid Fox News allow center left opinions be heard... because that would mean that they're actually fair and balanced. we can't have that in a news (and opinion) organization now can we. Except it's also important to note that Juan has been a "long time" contributor to Fox News. So it's not exactly a recent development.
The truth is (and Juan Williams even said this himself this morning) this is an attempt to continue to try to de-legitimize Fox News. Say what you will. there is a reason they are killing all other cable news networks (That are JUST AS IMBALANCED BUT THE OTHER WAY AND OUTNUMBER FOX 10:1). How dare he call himself an NPR Analyst and then appear on (gasp!) Fox News (fairly reguarly for about 10 yrs now). Let's just silence differing opinions so we can maintain our control of dumby wumby American minds....

fly135 10-22-2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snyder (Post 1642090)
Say what you will. there is a reason they are killing all other cable news networks

Popularity is how we know that McDonalds only serves the finest food.:rolleyes:

snyder 10-22-2010 12:10 PM

sorry, i didn't realize McDonalds was also evil. Can you post a list of the things i'm not supposed to like and/or patronize?

fly135 10-22-2010 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snyder (Post 1642130)
sorry, i didn't realize McDonalds was also evil.

Got a link for that?

Quote:

Can you post a list of the things i'm not supposed to like and/or patronize?
Gay bars?

No need to cry the blues for brother Juan. I heard he signed a $2 million contract with Fox.

ttrigo 10-22-2010 2:29 PM

"No need to cry the blues for brother Juan. I heard he signed a $2 million contract with Fox. "

so you are ok with censoring what most all of americans actually are thinking when they are at the airport? gimme a break. this guy is as far from a bigot as they get. I agree that this is NPR's way of trying to slam Fox news.

fly135 10-22-2010 2:45 PM

I think that NPR did themselves a disservice by firing him for this particular comment. But it wasn't about this particular comment and the news has reported that Juan has even said that. NPR has a strict ethics code that it's correspondants not make public statements that are inconsistant with their standards of reporting. So they have been "censoring" their reporters from the day they hired them. That's what any code of ethics does. It censors your freedom of public speech. It's just not been a public issue until now.

Unlike Fox and other news networks, NPR's policy is to report the news without editorializing it. And I believe that they do that. That's not to say that some people aren't going to feel they are liberal. A liberal slant could be achieved by choice of both topics and who you interview, without their reporters specifically editorializing. I'm not going to argue that point.

fly135 10-22-2010 2:48 PM

BTW, I should say that NPR has been reporting a lot about the firing in a manner that's complete neutral. Which means that what they report hasn't been painting themselves in such a good light.

poser007 10-22-2010 6:28 PM

Juan Williams is also a Democrat, he leans left on most issues whcih makes this even more interesting. I thnk alot of people think Fox news is slanted right because of shows like Orielly Beck and Hannity. Those are just talking points it's not news. Fox news is actually very fair and balnced if you watch the news itself. Their main guy Shepherd Smith is a self proclaimed Democrat. So to say Fox is totally slanted to the Right is ridiculous. It's their talk shows that lead to the right not their news reporting. IMO their news is about as middle of the road as you can get.