WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Wake brothers Texas (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795912)

Nordicron 10-15-2012 9:19 AM

Wake brothers Texas

Just watched the last wakebros episode and wonder if anyone else noticed how bad that wake looked? Wish I could post a pic but if you pause phils board right before he hits the wake on his first wake jump of his second run you can clearly tell he is hitting a huge wall of wash! Total crap and no wonder he bit it! Really surprised he didn't say something about it on the show.

boardjnky4 10-15-2012 10:02 AM

I'm sure that Malibu would have loved it if he bashed the Mastercraft on camera lol

I noticed it too, though. Co-incidentally, the wake on his malibu was clean the few times they showed it, and the boat was loaded with sacs.

dbdb 10-15-2012 10:36 AM

Did they cancel Wakebrothers?

10-15-2012 10:53 AM

May be the end of first season??

boardjnky4 10-15-2012 10:57 AM

If I was a betting man I would put my money on no season 2. It Sucked.

Nordicron 10-15-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boardjnky4 (Post 1789644)
I'm sure that Malibu would have loved it if he bashed the Mastercraft on camera lol

I noticed it too, though. Co-incidentally, the wake on his malibu was clean the few times they showed it, and the boat was loaded with sacs.

Yeah Malibu would have loved it! And it's insane how much weight he had in that MXC! Every inch of floor looked like it had a full bag!

I agree show kinda sucked, found myself fast forwarding all the ridiculous Bob crap!

The wakes also looked very clean when they had the G23 pulling the event the week before!

501s 10-15-2012 9:30 PM

I gotta say, after the Lamas episode, I haven't even tried to watch another one. That episode was sub-par. Bob is just way too annoying. He spends so much time trying to be funny, which is different than actually being funny.

downfortheride 10-15-2012 10:07 PM

I have seen all the shows now and more and more they go on the worst they are. I would like to see more of a "reality" type show and not just Bob screwing around and Phil look like the biggest dick. Some reason I see Phil being a lot more upstanding then he is made on the show. He said it in the Texas show to Bob, "your always losing and start partying before I'm even done with the Tournament." If it keeps on track, please no season 2!

captain_vilfo 10-16-2012 7:54 AM

Yeah the show blew

jarrod 10-16-2012 8:26 AM

I enjoyed the last episode. More riding, and more about the their wakeboarding life.

SethRavid 10-16-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boardjnky4 (Post 1789657)
If I was a betting man I would put my money on no season 2. It Sucked.

No doubt, but they don't plan shows based on how good they are. It's about ratings. I haven't seen any numbers on it...

DatTexasBoy 10-16-2012 3:31 PM

More riding and more on the actual life at the contest.

MrShelley 10-17-2012 6:47 AM

We can only hope there is no Season 2. The show is (was?) an embarrassment. We, as wakeboarders, know all about Phil and Bob. The general public (i.e.. MTV crowd), only sees a couple of "spoiled" kids. The way the show portrays wakeboarding and the wakeboarding "lifestyle" is NOT the way I want my sport represented!

Nordicron 10-17-2012 7:09 AM

I agree to a point Shelly but come on aren't they kinda spoiled kids?

My point more so and I should have labeled the thread " did anyone notice the crappy wake that the new x-star was throwing on wakebros?".

MrShelley 10-17-2012 7:52 AM

I just can't bring myself to call either of them spoiled simply because I don't know them. Plus, as a wakeboarder since 1993, I've seen each of the Soven brothers grow up. They obviously have skill and have "paid their dues". Heck, I watched "High Wake Drifters" last night and there was little Phil "Froggy" Soven on a directional Neptune board! My point is, they both earn their money and are entitled to new boats, new cars, new houses. If the show focused on their life on tour, what it takes to be a pro athlete, etc. I wouldn't have a problem with it. My problem lies with the format of the show, not with the brothers. Well, except Bob. He just annoys the hell out of me. The kid can ride though!

SethRavid 10-17-2012 8:42 AM

Interesting point about the spoiled rich kid image. The fact is, that stereotype exists for a reason. Wakeboarding started out as a country-club sport right from its waterskiing roots, and it still is that today. I'm reminded of the truth of this every time I go to Orlando to compete against rich waterskiiers' 12-year-old prodigies.

Sure, for each Megan Ethell and Tyler Worral, there are 50 weekend warriors who can barely afford to ride and make due with a Boston Whaler with a fishing tower on it. But these people don't succeed in the sport, and therefore they don't make it into the limelight and don't become part of the world's image of wakeboarding and wakeboarders.

It takes a ridiculous amount of money to become a successful wakeboarder. I recently went to Texas to compete in the Cablewakeboard.com National Points Chase Championship. It was an amazing career opportunity, and I earned it through years of hard work, but guess what? I still had to pay over $1,000 for it. Hell, without my parents' gas money, I'd be nowhere. That's why I ended the credit sequence of that video edit I made for the contest with a quick shoutout to my parents. I will never be able to repay them for giving me the money I need to pursue my dream. All I can do is make the most of the investment they've made in me and never forget that I'm here because of them. And so are Phil and Bob. Think about it.

wakebordr11 10-17-2012 9:21 AM

Phil and Bob come from waterskiing parents, sure, but I don't buy the spoiled rich kid label. They came up at the roots, they were throwing down at 9 and 7 on probably a mid 90s prostar 190 with a waterski rope and maybe a pole. They're gifted athletes. I read an article in waterski magazine about them in 97, I still have the mag, they were running around while waterski interviewed their parents and they were throwing gainers off picnic tables and frontflip 3s etc... You don't teach that with money, that's genetics and good fortune. They didn't make their start because someone bought them a 30-130k boat...

skull 10-17-2012 10:11 AM

I don't know you guys even made it through the end of the season. I checked out 1/2 of the way through show #2. Television anthrax IMO... awful.

gregs_place 10-17-2012 10:20 AM

Clearly phil and bob have an extraordinary gift when it comes to wakeboarding and they have dedicated their whole life to make it to the top of the sport, which they have whether they are spoiled or not. Regardless Phil is a prick and needs to take a chill pill and relax. Yes I can how Bob can get very annoying living with him but seriously Bob spent his time and money to throw Phil a birthday party and Phil doesn't show any gratitude and he has a pissed off attitude the entire time cause he finished second in the contest. Grow up dude...

Ron I did notice the crappy wake of the X-Star in the contest. I am disappointed with the way mastercraft promoted how awesome the 2013 was going to be and the wake was terrible compared to the old X-Stars. Definitely not the boat of the year

TheHebrewHammer 10-17-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregs_place (Post 1789995)
Phil is a prick and needs to take a chill pill and relax. Yes I can how Bob can get very annoying living with him but seriously Bob spent his time and money to throw Phil a birthday party and Phil doesn't show any gratitude and he has a pissed off attitude the entire time cause he finished second in the contest. Grow up dude...

You've got your head way up your ass if you think this is what Phil is really like. What you see on the show from Bob and Phil is a caricature of their personalities. It's beyond fake.

10-17-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer (Post 1790011)
You've got your head way up your ass if you think this is what Phil is really like. What you see on the show from Bob and Phil is a caricature of their personalities. It's beyond fake.

How many times you been around Phil? Just curious

TheHebrewHammer 10-17-2012 11:54 AM

Let's not turn this into another "Phil's a douche" thread.

10-17-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer (Post 1790016)
Let's not turn this into another "Phil's a douche" thread.

Haha ok I wont.

I didnt mind the series...i knew it wasnt going to show 100% wakeboarding. All of these reality shows are fake, do it for ratings. Walking llamas around town or turning Phils living room into an island will be more entertaining than watching contests for the general watchers.

TheHebrewHammer 10-17-2012 12:01 PM

word

wkbddad 10-18-2012 6:34 PM

You guys are pretty funny. You really think Bob bought llamas or really spent his money on a party for Phil. Every episode was staged REALITY TELEVISION. Oh yeah, Phil was pretty unhappy with wake but had already gotten fined for saying something at an earlier stop.

10-18-2012 6:43 PM

Thank you Mr Soven for chiming in. Thats what I like about this forum, the parents and/or riders chime in. I still think the llamas were entertaining

Nordicron 10-18-2012 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkbddad (Post 1790228)
You guys are pretty funny. You really think Bob bought llamas or really spent his money on a party for Phil. Every episode was staged REALITY TELEVISION. Oh yeah, Phil was pretty unhappy with wake but had already gotten fined for saying something at an earlier stop.

No I didn't think much of it was real at all that's why it kinda sucked! They whole llama, redneck, island oasis,find phil a date, party plan was just ridiculous and those producers need to be fired! The best parts were the parts that weren't so staged. Like the part were you guys were discussing strategy and such at the Texas event.

cboom12 10-18-2012 9:07 PM

^^^^ Agreed. The show would be much better if it focused in their real lives as well as wakeboarding. Kind of like Life of Ryan without the crying ;)

gregs_place 10-18-2012 9:17 PM

not sure how they will do another wakebrothers season cause didn't bob move out?

Bam6961 10-18-2012 9:54 PM

The show was alright definitely could have been better. Mtv should have showed more of the other riders lifestyle and riding like in the last episode. I would have liked to see more of the beauty of wakeboarding, wakeboard talk, boat conversation out on the lake. I though some of the deleted should have been in the episode rather than some of the other stuff that was shown but i mostly blame it on mtv editing and how they always try to cut things short, add drama, and fighting when there isnt any of it at all. I guess its just to attract teenage girls and there other viewers. For instance, I hated mtv for always making it look they were done riding after a fall, or how they cut tricks short. Mtv should have had a episode just of the cast members in individual edits throwing down their steeze and hammers. That would have been sick!
i think the xstar wake looked fine, i mean harley landed the double tantrum perfectly. I serious think this whole xstar wash as gone on way to long. Harley,josh twelker and mike dowdy, all have landed new tricks under it.( New tricks as in tricks they havent laned before.)
rant ended lol

ralph 10-18-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bam6961 (Post 1790270)
i think the xstar wake looked fine, i mean harley landed the double tantrum perfectly.

If a boat has an inconstant wake then sometimes the wake is good but sometimes it's bad. Ime it is super frustrating to ride an inconsistent wake.

Readyaimfire 10-19-2012 2:28 AM

^^^^This! It's almost like riding when there's rollers around. Some times u get a little extra kick, and sometimes there's nothing. Not judging the new xstar cuz I haven't ridden behind it yet.

TheHebrewHammer 10-19-2012 4:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicron (Post 1790242)
No I didn't think much of it was real at all that's why it kinda sucked! They whole llama, redneck, island oasis,find phil a date, party plan was just ridiculous and those producers need to be fired! The best parts were the parts that weren't so staged. Like the part were you guys were discussing strategy and such at the Texas event.

That all sounds very nice, but you don't get it, man. This show isn't made for you or wakeboarding fans in general. It's made for 12-15-year-olds. That's where the real money is. Try making a serious show about wakeboarding and you will fail. It's been done. It was called Pull. And look what happened to it.

501s 10-19-2012 8:17 PM

World of Wakeboarding? Anyone remember that show? I would watch it every sunday morning..... I guess it was a canadian thing so most here wouldn't know it.

TheHebrewHammer 10-19-2012 8:39 PM

Hmmm, interesting...never heard of it. Link? Any videos left of it?

wakekat15 10-20-2012 8:27 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Nice to get feedback from Wayne for sure....I was there & saw it 1st hand. The wake was huge (see Dallas pic), but definitely inconsistent on holding its shape.

Here's a few pics I took @ the event:

andy_nintzel 10-20-2012 8:58 AM

Nice of Mr. Soven to pop in on this subject.

I am fighting a rant big time........I might need to start ranting soon.....

johnny_defacto 10-20-2012 10:46 AM

Andy.... do it.

501s 10-20-2012 4:40 PM

World of wakeboarding was a canadian TV show that showcased the riders, the contests and the scene. I actually kind of liked the show even though when i started watching it, it was already fairly old. Here is youtube clip I found from their trick tips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52qfDD12RZI

alevitt 10-21-2012 2:22 PM

Love me a good World of Wakeboarding reference: Canada represent.
Another oldie, but a goodie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ5876xC00c&feature=plcp

Houstonshark 10-21-2012 3:08 PM

I thought the show took a pretty positive turn around halfway through the season, around the point where they moved it to Monday if I remember correctly. They started showing a lot more wakeboarding and Phil seemed to chill out a little.

I really liked the part in the next to last episode where Rusty told Phil that he was only hurting himself when he gets pissed, kicks stuff and is rude to people after he rides bad or has a fall in his run.

Mr. Soven, can you comment on whether or not the show has been cancelled?

MattieK27 10-21-2012 9:26 PM

When a show gets moved to a new time slot, gets bumped completely two weeks in a row, and then rescheduled for 2am Eastern time slot with two un-aired episodes in a row, its a safe bet it got axed.

Bummer, I thought it was finding its way with more wakeboard footage and tie ins. Maybe this will spawn a different show that better highlights what wakeboarding (sport, scene, etc) is all about.

tdelong 10-22-2012 8:53 AM

I liked actually loved the show just because it had any wakeboarding in it. I was so excited when the idea first came out. Obviously like all of you I was somewhat disappointed but like I said, at least I can get some wakeboard show.

501s 10-22-2012 9:14 AM

What is it that makes the "Pro wakeboard lifestyle" appealing to people to the point that they made a reality show about it? IMO it's the fact that they spend their time travel the world competing with their friends, filming video parts, doing photo shoots, living on the lake, teaching at camps or schools, and spending almost everyday on the boat often with girls in bikinis I would assume....... oh and partying..... sounds pretty good.....

Now whether you wakeboard or not, doesn't this sound a whole lot more interesting then parading around a bunch of stupid pet lamas?

boardjnky4 10-22-2012 9:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 501s (Post 1790677)
What is it that makes the "Pro wakeboard lifestyle" appealing to people to the point that they made a reality show about it? IMO it's the fact that they spend their time travel the world competing with their friends, filming video parts, doing photo shoots, living on the lake, teaching at camps or schools, and spending almost everyday on the boat often with girls in bikinis I would assume....... oh and partying..... sounds pretty good.....

Now whether you wakeboard or not, doesn't this sound a whole lot more interesting then parading around a bunch of stupid pet lamas?

Sounds interesting, but probably more suited for a channel like Fuel TV.

johnny_defacto 10-22-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boardjnky4 (Post 1790680)
Sounds interesting, but probably more suited for a channel like Fuel TV.

Maybe Fuel TV 2 years ago, but today, if you want to be on fuel, you have to have a scary middle name and roll around on the ground with another sweaty dude...

Indyxc 10-24-2012 7:34 PM

A couple comments..

I thought the show really turned for the better after the Illinois River trip. Focused more on actually wakeboarding and watersports life style, than the random drama that could be on another show. However, I see why they needed to do that on MTV.

I grew to like Phil and Bob. It's cool to see that all the pro wakeboarders pretty much are friend more or less. Made me like wakeboarding even more, and if there is another protour event near me ever, I'll make sure to try and make it.

nautiqueboarder10 10-24-2012 7:38 PM

phils a douche

MattieK27 10-24-2012 8:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautiqueboarder10 (Post 1791163)
phils a douche

The 19 year old expert has spoken...