WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Website Feedback, Suggestions, Problems, Etc. (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=776965)
-   -   email notification (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=777461)

litlone873 03-12-2010 12:24 PM

email notification

I miss the old email subscription service where new emails were generated for each new post. Now, only ONE email is generated until you go to the site to see if there are any more. I liked being able to read through all the responses and then go and reply if I wanted to...

This was helpful so I'm not caught surfing WW at work... they can't tell what I'm reading when it's just email :)

wakeworld 03-12-2010 3:46 PM

This is another one of those things that I assumed vBulletin, "the most popular discussion forum on the Internet," would be able to handle without a problem. From what I can tell, it does not have this option! :( I can understand why some discussion boards would not want this due to server load, but I'm very surprised to see that it's not even available. I'll keep researching it to see if I can find a solution, but we may be screwed on this one.

Any other vBulletin users ever seen this or have any ideas??

nmcjr 03-14-2010 7:13 PM

I'm not even receiving the daily email--is it working or is it just me? I have tried two different email addresses and have tried to subscribe threads and entire forums.

wakeworld 03-16-2010 5:59 PM

I'm getting some notifications. Is anybody else having a problem with notifications?

03-17-2010 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeworld (Post 1561485)
This is another one of those things that I assumed vBulletin, "the most popular discussion forum on the Internet," would be able to handle without a problem. From what I can tell, it does not have this option! :( I can understand why some discussion boards would not want this due to server load, but I'm very surprised to see that it's not even available. I'll keep researching it to see if I can find a solution, but we may be screwed on this one.

Any other vBulletin users ever seen this or have any ideas??

i've seen this option in vbulletin at precentral.net and it works fine. I have subscribed to multiple threads and have received an email when someone replies.

Try setting the option to 'Instant email notification'?

litlone873 03-17-2010 12:04 PM

Right now, you get ONE email notification and it tells you that you wont get any more until you visit the thread on the site.

Before, you could get every post (after your initial post) in an email so you didn't have to go back to the thread unless you wanted to reply (or see pictures).

Some other forums have a plugin where you can even reply to the thread/post via email. That would be really cool here as well, but first you have to get the posts sent individually first.

You would think that something as big as vBulletin would have those options.

wakeworld 03-17-2010 1:15 PM

Brian, I went and signed up for the forum and subscribed to a thread with "Instant Email Notification," but it behaves the same way ours does. If you don't visit the thread, it doesn't continue to send updates. Here is the message that was at the bottom of the first notification I got...

There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications unless you additionally subscribe to the thread.