WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Video and Photography (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87667)
-   -   focus issues - Cannon HV20 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=567320)

hollister 04-11-2008 2:34 AM

I recently got a cannon HV20 & all the footage I am getting with it is great except that I can't keep the rider in focus. I've tried AF & IF & frequently used the focus assist but nothing seems to help. Next time out I'll give the manual focus a try. Anyone with any advice would be appreciated.

wakeboardern1 04-11-2008 5:40 AM

I've got the HG10, and as long as I keep the spray from the sides of the boat out of the picture, it focuses on the rider fairly well. Otherwise it's questionable. Not bad, but not great either.

csswake3 04-11-2008 6:05 AM

I recently bought a HV20 as well, but have not yet been able to bring it on the boat, but I am very interested about the focus as well, let me know what you find out

wakesurf12 04-11-2008 6:44 AM

If you are in the boat you should do manual focus. Especially since the rider is never going to be any closer or further from you. (That whole "rope" thing makes that easy") If your still having troubles figuring out what distance to focus at an easy trick is to zoom all the way in on the rider when he is between both wakes and set your focus. Then zoom out to your desired framing and go from there! Good luck next time. How do you like that HV20? I have seen some footage online and have been quite impressed by that little camera!

richd 04-11-2008 1:39 PM

I have an HV10 which has the same AF system, it's so fast it will re focus on a moments notice if you're not carful. If you're having trouble just turn it off as Ryan recommends.

hollister 04-11-2008 8:07 PM

well next time out I'll give it a try. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Ryan the camera is great, if I can just solve this one problem. It was some of Rich's previous posts that actually sold me on this camera. thanx Rich.

deltawake 04-12-2008 9:39 AM

I have recently purchased an HV 20. I am very impressed with the quality of the video. However, the focus seems to have a bit of a learning curve. Our problem is that I think the AF mechanism gets a bit confused by water spray etc. If you take the camera off of the subject, it focuses on whatever it is pointing at. Then when you go back to your subject (rider), it takes awhile to decide that it really is supposed to focus on the rider. Once it acquires focus, it holds it pretty well. Paying attention to where you have the camera pointed when in standby mode really helps. <BR> <BR>(Message edited by deltawake on April 12, 2008)

inty399 05-05-2008 5:34 AM

My HG 10 does really well, it is a little blurry if you go from black to bright light really fast.

wakeboardern1 05-06-2008 7:44 PM

So far, my HG 10 has been fantastic for filming. When the weather started to cooperate and stopped being perpetually cloudy, and I finally put my UV filter on, the video quality is freaking gorgeous. I can flip it on with the quickstart power mode as soon as the rider begins to cut in, and the video will have turned on and focused in on the rider by about ten feet before hitting the wake. Perfect timing, it's been really nice for filming. The I.AF feature is freaking incredible.