WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through February 04, 2005 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=211794)
-   -   anyone 2 add different fins to toeside edge (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205461)

01-07-2005 7:37 PM

well with the new state and murray i was thinking about possibly trying to change the fin setup on my board just to try it out. the state seems to have channels on the toeside edge. seems like a similar effect could be achieved by adding a little bit bigger fins on the toeside edge. i think i ride 1/2 inch fins now. maybe ill throw on some 3/4 or 1 inch fins to see if there is any benefit.

dakid 01-07-2005 7:44 PM

i'm not being a jerk, but how about working on technique instead of relying on your board to fix a bad habit?

01-09-2005 9:24 PM

i dont really think i have any bad habits maybe i do. i will say my toeside edge isnt as strong as heelside. maybe ill do it and give a report.

jonm 01-09-2005 10:10 PM

What a jerk!!!! (how do I make a red triangle again?)

magellan 01-09-2005 10:13 PM

I agree with Joe.. No offense but a tell tale sign of a strong rider is watching them ride switch. Solid switch riding makes you an all around better rider.. Learning to ride switch due to bigger fins or whatever the hell Hyperlite is trying to do with the State is creating bad habits...

kristian 01-10-2005 4:36 AM

You guys dont get it do you. Its all physics. you edge differantly on your toeside edge than your do on your heels. The state works very well. The extra channel is actually on the heelside edge. I've seen some very good riders on it and they say they prefere it. It doesn't cause bad habbits, its not like its doing the trick for you, just has some more stability. The toeside edge fins still arn't as big as the ones on the byerly.

kristian 01-10-2005 4:41 AM

Oh and back to the original question. I'm going to do the opposite to you alan, I'm going to stick smaller fins on my heelside edge and leave my toeside edge the same.

magellan 01-10-2005 9:38 AM

It's all ball bearings.. <BR>

andy_nintzel 01-10-2005 11:01 AM

fins???? Fins???? People Still use Fins???

01-11-2005 10:26 PM

well kristian i agree with you. the post really didnt have to do with switch riding rather but since we are talking about it ill chime in. shaun murray's board is designed to help with the switch riding. im assuming this is the board he rides. my guess is he rides switch better than most of the folks on this board and he still has no problem admitting "everyone needs a little help riding switch". <BR>back to my original post. i dont boot my toeside tricks out into the flats and my toeside is the weaker of my two edges. i guess i idiotically assumed the toeside edge was most everyones weaker edge. to everyone else that is EQUALLY as strong on their toeside edge then i applaud you for your stong fundamentals. me, i am not to proud to admit my toeside is weaker than the heelside. <BR>i guess i should have formulated a proper philosophical debate. so here goes my attempt <BR>Premises <BR>1.Your heelside is stronger than toeside <BR>2.A taller, deeper, longer, fin holds better <BR>3.A better holding fin allows you to lean harder against the rope without fear of slipping out <BR>4.Harder you lean against the rope the more tension created at the top of the wake <BR>5.More line tension at the top of the wake equals greater jumping heights and distances <BR>*If you hold all the premises to be true then adding a larger fin on the toeside edge will allow for greater jumping heights and distances** <BR>What a tool I am for sitting here writing this(no debate needed). !!! haha hope you all have a good season. <BR>

sunsport 01-14-2005 1:49 PM

I am the first to admit that I am not a very strong switch rider. I know this is a little different than the orginal question, but I have been messing around with a little bigger fins in the front to make up for my inabilities riding switch. It seems on tricks where I am landing switch it helps stick them a little better. <BR> <BR>Skiing made me board, <BR>Lyle <BR>Chrome Dome Industries