WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Best boat care products? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786411)

dcrillz 03-16-2011 11:54 AM

Best boat care products?

What are the best ones in your opinion? Do Babes products work pretty well? I'm looking to give the boat an acid bath this year and wax more often. Are there any products that can restore color? The paint on the backside of the boat has started to fade from sitting in the sun. The gel coat seems to be alright.

Thanks for any help

Thrall 03-16-2011 12:36 PM

I'm pretty sure the "paint" on the back sie is gelcoat too unless you have some custom paint job over the gel.
Only way to get oxidation gone for good is to buff/polish it out with a rotary polisher, not orbital. Even a high speed 3/8 drill motor will work unless you're doing a large area.
I'd reccomend 3M Rubbing compound and 3M Finesse It polish. Wool bonnet for buffing, fine wool or foam pad for polish.
Acid bath to remove lake scum? Save your money and buy some cheap toilet bowl cleaner. Safe on the gel and all the scum/stains will wipe or spray right off. If you do it over concrete, try to keep the cleaner off teh concrete and keep spraying down/diluting what gets onthe conc. It will etch the concrete.
Interior vinyl cleaning, if it's real dirty, get some Malco Plastic and Leather cleaner, works the best of anything I've tried. Apparently Totally Awesome cleaner form the dollar store is the same stuff, but only a dollar! I'd try that first if I didn't already have Malco. For spot stains on the vinyl, alot of times a blob of liquid wax like Meguires will work. Pour a blob on the stain and let it sit until it dries. It's lifted several stains off of my white vinyl.
I hate hand waxing, sucks even more with a black truck and black boat! I've started using Turtle Wax Ice spray wax. It seems to last pretty well and it's spray on wipe off, no need to go back and wipe off the wax residue and it doesn't turn plastic trim pieces white.
Normal waterspot cleaning vinegar and water with some spray wax mixed in

kko13 03-16-2011 6:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
for fade- Aqua Buff works better than any of the 3m compounds IMPO and I tried alot of different ones from 3M.
3M finness-it works great for light scratches and over all polishing of the boat.
I use maguires flagship marine wax.
I use babes boat bright everytime out it is GREAT stuff get some for sure.
I have tried Exquiste,maguries and Babes seat soap on my vinly. IMPO babes did the best. Exqusite was nice but it didnt clean the real dirty stuff as well as I would have liked. Have not tried malco (couldnt find it local) Did try the stuff from dollar store=not impressed.
When I bought the boat she was kind of ruff..see the first big pic. But I brought her back to a black mirror finish. Kind of hard to see in the litle pics .sorry i cant find the bigger ones.

wakebrdr94 03-16-2011 7:56 PM

How are the boat bling products? I know everyone has a preference when it it comes to boat care. I've always used mcguires products, but some was ranting about boat bling and his boat did look pretty awsome. Boat was 8 years old a.d looked luke it came off the showroom floor.

acurtis_ttu 03-17-2011 6:50 AM

no personal exp with them but have friends that sear by zanio products.

ajholt7 03-25-2011 5:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakebrdr94 (Post 1666280)
How are the boat bling products? I know everyone has a preference when it it comes to boat care. I've always used mcguires products, but some was ranting about boat bling and his boat did look pretty awsome. Boat was 8 years old a.d looked luke it came off the showroom floor.

I love Boat Bling Hot Sauce and Pro Sauce. I like the Hot Sauce better than Babe's other than the smell when using it. It really makes the boat shine.

05mobiuslsv 03-25-2011 5:31 PM

The boat bling products are pretty exceptional imo.

younguns44 03-25-2011 6:10 PM

do you order boat bling online or can you get it from retailers?

ajholt7 03-25-2011 6:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by younguns44 (Post 1668313)
do you order boat bling online or can you get it from retailers?

I have always ordered it online.
http://boatbling.net/store/

ryanw209 03-25-2011 6:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by acurtis_ttu (Post 1666325)
no personal exp with them but have friends that sear by zanio products.

My family has used Zaino Bros on all our cars for years and I use the Z-AIO on my boat also. As far as wax for a car goes this is by far the best I have used and all I can say about using it on my boat is that my 2006 looked better than most the boats at the car show I just went to and I've never polished it. Just wipe on, let dry and wipe off. Also all the other people I ride with get hard water spots every year(even though they wipe it down after each use) and I have never had any. It is pretty pricey at $27/bottle but worth it.

Attached is a picture of my old 2001 Audi after I bought it in 2006 and waxed it for the first time with zaino.