WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Why no big boards in the SS Balistic line for '13? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796236)

dyost 11-20-2012 7:38 PM

Why no big boards in the SS Balistic line for '13?

That's a bummer, I switched to SS this season and have been really stoked on the boards. Bought a response (145) and a recoil (146), love them both. I was wanting to try out the ballistic boards at some point, but for 2013 they don't have anything larger than a 142 (Hooke). This year the Kine and Newton came in 145, and the Hooke had a 146 option.

Anyone know why they dropped the bigger sizes for next season? Guess I need to stock up on this year's models. That's cool, the 12 kine is the dopest graphic ever.

kristian 11-21-2012 1:30 AM

I think your answer is sales. Most people who ride boat don't ride bigger boards (they usually ride something that's too small for them anyways, but lets not start that debate again) and the ballistic line is aimed mainly at boat riders.

Personally i think it's a shame, as I love bigger boards and would like to see more on the market. Heck, I'd ride a 150 if anyone let me.

The reflex, does make a good boat board and don't forget the lyman 144.

cjh1669 11-21-2012 7:34 AM

The industry does need more big boards. I'm picking up a 144 lyman this year, hopefully it's big enough for me. I was sinking my 144 viva at times this year. Little too much time in the gym.

boardjnky4 11-21-2012 10:53 AM

I think you'll find that stiffer boards ride a little bigger than more flexible boards. Boards with more flex tend to sink in more on landings and generally drag in the water a bit more. So usually if you ride a flex board, you want to go a little bigger in length to make up for that aspect. So what I am saying is that a 145 with a lot of flex will be comparable in feel to a 142 with less flex.

dyost 11-22-2012 5:58 PM

English, I'm with you, I wish someone would make a 148-150. I'm a tall dude, so I always feel like I'm riding around on a little lunch tray. 146 is a good size for me, and until this years recoil I had never found a bigger board that I liked. Really the only other options on the market are LF Trip, HL marek, and Ronix One.

I love riding a 159-161 snowboards cause I feel like I have something under me and can lean out on the tip and tail without feeling like I'm gonna topple over,

dyost 11-22-2012 6:04 PM

Tom I can see your point, and maybe that's part of the logic they used in the decision to drop the big sizes from the ballistic line. Im guessing mostly sales though. But in my case (at 6'3 220) I need some surface area and some board length. Plus, I cannot go back to a stiff board. The SS pop so well and land very soft, I don't think they sink at all on the landing, but the board definitely takes some of the shock off the knees.

kristian 11-23-2012 1:01 AM

The board flex point is very valid and true....... but personally I still feel the same about stiff boards. I was so happy to see the return of long boards when the 147 Era and 145 State came out, but they really didn't start a trend.

boardjnky4 11-23-2012 8:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyost (Post 1795626)
English, I'm with you, I wish someone would make a 148-150. I'm a tall dude, so I always feel like I'm riding around on a little lunch tray. 146 is a good size for me, and until this years recoil I had never found a bigger board that I liked. Really the only other options on the market are LF Trip, HL marek, and Ronix One.

I love riding a 159-161 snowboards cause I feel like I have something under me and can lean out on the tip and tail without feeling like I'm gonna topple over,

I ride a 161 snowboard. People called me crazy when I bought it. I really do like the length though. I am currently riding a 143 LF Deluxe Hybrid, and I feel it's about the right size.