WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Questions about Add a Battery System (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=808422)

romamg 01-28-2018 4:29 PM

Questions about Add a Battery System

So I'm in the process of doing this upgrade. I have everything wired up, but I can't find my incoming power for the switch panel so I can wire it directly to the house battery.
Anyone have any insight?

chpthril 01-29-2018 7:24 AM

First, id suggest you consult with your add-a-battery retailer for a custom wiring schematic. You should not be circumventing the switch, with the exception of a couple loads like an auto bilge.

So its all wired up and the helm (switch panel) does not work but worked prior to the conversion? Sounds like there is a rogue B+ and B- that needs to be found or your wiring schematic is incorrect.

Or, you are positive its drawing off the main and you want it to draw off the house. If this was a single battery boat originally, the helm BUS could be terminated to the starter's main B+ post.

Model, year and engine of the boat might help.

romamg 01-30-2018 7:10 PM

Thanks for the response.

First, id suggest you consult with your add-a-battery retailer for a custom wiring schematic. You should not be circumventing the switch, with the exception of a couple loads like an auto bilge.
There is not anything I'm trying to circumvent,
Just trying to get my switch panel wired to the house battery.

So its all wired up and the helm (switch panel) does not work but worked prior to the conversion? Sounds like there is a rogue B+ and B- that needs to be found or your wiring schematic is incorrect.
Everything works fine still, just can't find main power for switch panel.

Or, you are positive its drawing off the main and you want it to draw off the house. If this was a single battery boat originally, the helm BUS could be terminated to the starter's main B+ post.
I'm pretty positive that it is a single battery boat.

Model, year and engine of the boat might help.[/QUOTE]
1999 merc mag 5.7

chpthril 01-31-2018 7:48 AM

Before cutting any more cables, do you have a basic digital volt/ohm meter? If not, go get one. It can actually help you find where the helm BUS gets its B+ from.

romamg 01-31-2018 1:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chpthril (Post 1974245)
Before cutting any more cables, do you have a basic digital volt/ohm meter? If not, go get one. It can actually help you find where the helm BUS gets its B+ from.

The helm is getting it's b+ from the red wire I cut. I already know this. I just can't figure out in turn what is feeding just my switch panel.
Unless all 6 switch are all individually being back fed. Highly unlikely but who knows.

chpthril 01-31-2018 3:57 PM

LOL! Sorry, my mistake. When most people ask where something is getting "power" from, they means where its starts from, rather then finding the wire and cutting it in the middle somewhere.

Good luck.