WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   First motorcycle (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798370)

akman 05-31-2013 7:57 PM

First motorcycle

2 Attachment(s)
Little man has taken the next step and moved from the quad to the motorcycle this year CRF 50. Can't wait to do some riding with him this coming season.

ttrigo 05-31-2013 9:52 PM

Awesome!

deuce 06-01-2013 11:26 AM

Sweet!

pesos 06-01-2013 11:38 PM

little badass!

jonblarc7 06-03-2013 6:00 AM

looking good

wakecumberland 06-03-2013 6:31 AM

How old is he and when did you start him out on the quad?

machloosy 06-03-2013 6:32 AM

Armored up! Digging it. I started around then. Keep him in it for sure!

akman 06-04-2013 6:47 PM

Adam, He just turned 6 on May 3rd. He started on a Predator 50 quad at 4. We live in an area of San Diego where all my neighbors are desert or river people so he is getting plenty of practice riding around the neighborhood and when ever possible he is riding at the river which is where these pictures were taken. Our official desert season starts around Halloween so he should have plenty of hours by then.

srock 06-05-2013 6:52 AM

That's great and he already has the #1 plate! I have been taking my 5 year old-soon to be 6 to the track and a private pasture to ride. Santa gave him the CRF50 for Christmas. I cannot believer how quickly he has taken to the bike and both Dad and son are having a blast. As a South Florida city dweller, my struggle is locating adequate riding close to the house.

I'm starting to think I should have spent the money on a KTM50. He's bottoming out the 50 and suspension upgrades are not cheap. However, its a tough trade because that Honda is bullet proof and a 65 is only a year off.

pierce_bronkite 06-05-2013 9:00 AM

Thats awesome man. I ride dirt bikes as well and my son is addicted to anything related to dirtbikes but he's only 2. When hes ready I need to figure out if I should start him on a quad or a 50. He rides a strider bike perfect and has his balance down. He often rides with me in my lap on my 250.

Any suggestions on getting him started?

srock 06-07-2013 7:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This has been an ongoing journey with my son and it's been so much fun I'm happy to share my experiences. If he's like my son, and wants to do everything his Dad does, then you are most of the way there...and well on the road to questioning your own judgment as some of what happens will scare you.

We started with an electric Razor 4-wheeler at 3 years. (rubber tires and 5-7 MPH versus those hard tire 4-wheelers and quiet since I'm a suburbanite) The idea was my wife and I could jog while my son followed along. It turned out to be a great coordination gas, brake and the big one...pay attention to where you're going drill. We also purchased a bicycle with training wheels and it was the smallest made and the seat was all the way down. Now at 6 years old, it looks like a clown bike with my son on it.

Getting rid of the training wheels seems to be different for all kids. Some just get it and want them off, others are too intimidated. We were on vacation and my son saw another 3 year old without training wheels. My son wanted his off at that point and I was shocked when he rode off on his own. I had to run a couple miles with him that morning, as he wanted to fall to one side, I just held him up then all of a sudden it clicked and he was on his own. After watching a number of kids his age, I realize that most kids have the ability at a young age but many parents just don't try it. But it also takes some determination by the child. For my son, watching older kids was all that it took. Peer pressure can do wonders for some kids determination and ability.

Dad and son then started a little jumping for some fun on the bikes. First it was plywood with 1 brick, then 2, then 3, then we were building jumps. Just like wakeboarding, keep it fun and never push. Each kid has their own pace. It also helps to have others his age or a little older involved. The bravest in the group will help lead the way.

Then the dirt bike. I never liked the training wheels on a dirt bike and I think better skills are learned on a bicycle so we waited and my wife actually pushed the Honda 50 so at 5 1/2 he got one. I was concerned that it was too early but was I wrong. He took to it immediately but with a number of spills the first couple of outings. The falls were never a big deal to him. I kept it simple, riding wide open spaces at first. I found that the 4-wheeler experience was good for his understanding how to run the bike. Brakes, throttle, paying attention with the added complication of balance.

Its been a blast for my son and I. However, I've seen other kids try a dirt bike and some try it once, hate it, and it's all over. My son loves it. You just never know.

Here is my son at 5 1/2 years old after and his 4th time at the MX park. As a parent, it's just as fun to experience it with him as it is to ride yourself, maybe more.

I hope your experience is as good as mine has been. Good Luck!

zimme 06-07-2013 7:15 AM

those little fiddys are FUN. You need to get on that thing and start pulling wheelies through the parkng lots! haha

srock 06-07-2013 12:10 PM

I have a 1969 Honda 50 mini trail with a plate for that. The engine looks exactly the same as the 2012. Every time I ride it some one old like me offers to buy it.

akman 06-12-2013 6:52 PM

Kids all learn at such different stages in their young lives. Kory started walking at 10 months, rode his pedal bike without training wheels before he turned 2. We put him out front, took off the training wheels and said "pedal as fast as you can to mommy" so he went back and forth between us and then was off and running a few minutes later...we put him on a Polaris Quad at 4 and now just before he turned 6 put him on the motorcycle. He was probably ready for the bike sooner but we wanted to wait until the end of the desert season. He will now have a full summer of riding around the river and around the neighborhood to get used to the bike and hopefully come this season he will have plenty of confidence to push it a little. My son pretty much tries everything and likes to PIN it...it is scary at first but they are so small and close to the ground even when they stack it's not bad.

skull 06-13-2013 6:07 AM

Looking good Aki! Mine just turned 5.. he can shred on his bike with no training wheels but isn't pumped (yet) about taking the training wheels off his Honda 50 yet. He is a little dude and I don't think he could lift up the 50 if he crashed (he only weighs 34 lbs). He can rockout the Razer and Skateboard but wasn't reel pumped on after trying wakeboarding either. We are going to try behind the boat again this weekend or maybe the beginner cable at the cable park. The dude can do backflips off the couch so I know he will be good once he starts boarding. Barret also likes to pin it on the 50. He basically rides full throttle 100% of the time on it. He isn't that big on shifting gears yet.

tracktor 06-14-2013 12:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My youngest at 5. He started at 2 1/2 on a PW50 with training wheels because his big brother rode. Don't let anyone tell you the train wheels teach bad habits. My boys are 8 & 12 now and both rip. I love riding with them..............