WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trick Tips (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3184)
-   -   Riding Switch (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=498334)

makai_surfer 09-06-2007 9:36 PM

I am having trouble with riding switch. It feels very uncomfortable and I would love to hear what I can do or what may help bridge this gap in my riding. Any suggestions or ideas will be appreciated...

wakemandan 09-06-2007 11:46 PM

I feel you. The most i can do switch is leave for a half cab 180. <BR> <BR>I'm guessing just get some edge time riding switch. I'll do the same.

wakedog 09-07-2007 5:42 AM

I feel your pain. Get up switch every time you start.

nauty_tique 09-07-2007 1:28 PM

If your eating it every time, slow the boat down for a while, it seems rough at 1st but eventually you'll get it.

spicychalupa69 09-07-2007 3:00 PM

I used to be the same way Jason, and now i can honestly say i can ride switch as comfortably as i can ride regular stance. What i did (just like i did with learning toeside) is just take a whole entire day, not a set, but just take a day and ride switch, no matter what. Slow the boat down if you need to and just ride around switch. What worked best for me was trying to imitate my body position ie, how my back was set, how my knees were bent where the handle was etc...and tried to perfectly mirror it onto my switch stance no matter how uncomfortable it felt. Its all entirely muscle memory and eventually riding switch will feel just as normal as riding regular, good luck brotha.

makai_surfer 09-07-2007 9:28 PM

Thats great advice thanks to you all! Spicy...I will take a day, thats the best thing I could do. Thanks again for the support! Great advice...

bsebllhglyknit 09-09-2007 6:16 PM

I think that hardest part for me on switch was cutting out toeside. I was told just to focus on handle placement right by your hip. Hope that helps.

jman 09-09-2007 7:57 PM

practice, practice, practice. i went out this weekend and tried a lot of switch riding. the last 15 min of today i rode switch for about 90% of that time. im now riding switch much better although not as well as reg. just keep practicing it. i did and already feel a positive difference.

sunsport 09-11-2007 8:40 AM

two things that have helped me. The first is the two minute drill from the book. It allows me to evaluate the difference between my switch riding and regular. The other thing that help me was last year I committed to learning a switch Tantrum. So commit to learning a new trick switch and it forces you to ride and get better at switch. <BR> <BR>Skiing made me board, <BR>Lyle <BR>Chrome Dome

steve_jones 09-11-2007 8:40 PM

I have beginner's ride switch their very first day before they know any better. Set your board up neutral so either foot could go forward. Then just do it. Feel out the edges as you did when you learned to ride regular. Come up switch, stay switch for a few sets as others have said. <BR> <BR>Another tip to help you learn edge control is to slow the boat WAY down (13-15mph) and do surface 180's building up to surface 360's all different ways. If you fall going slow, you won't get wrecked. This is easy and will build your muscle memory without you thinking about it.

joec08 09-11-2007 8:45 PM

Ride switch.

joec08 09-11-2007 8:57 PM

Ride switch.

jhmorgan 09-13-2007 3:12 PM

Everything steve jones said..LISTEN TO!...all of those are what me and my crew did whne we first started riding switch, it made life a lot easier.

bbking 09-13-2007 5:36 PM

do this... <BR> <BR>1- get up switch or go out to your toeside (edging away) and butterslide/ollie 180 and ride around over there <BR>2- work on edging around... do more switch riding during warm ups <BR>3- do your first switch jump but do a 180...i landed mine first try <BR> <BR>and the numbers represent your times out... and thats what happened for me too

krkx93 09-30-2007 6:45 PM

i had problems with it too i just learned a surface 180 and just tried to get as much time switch as i possibly could

sacmule 10-11-2007 11:09 PM

Ride switch as often as possible, push yourself a bit and focus on good body position. What helped me get over the hump was not thinking about how strange riding switch felt. Riding switch will feel weird for a long time but trust in your body position and remember to push yourself it will accelerate your progression. Oh yeah; Practice, practice, practice.

bflat53212 10-29-2007 12:58 PM

What I have been doing, is riding switch about 95% of the time I have been out for the last 3 weeks. I plan to keep doing it until I land almost most of the tricks I can land regular. It's something I should have done a long, long time ago, so I'm forcing myself to do it now. Practice, practice, practice. That's it.