WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   Energy Drinks and Health Effects (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794418)

skull 07-11-2012 5:37 AM

Energy Drinks and Health Effects

I had my yearly physical and despite being in great overall shape, my Dr said drinking one Monster (low-card or zero) a day was the same as smoking 5 cigarettes a day for my cardiovascular health. Honestly, I think this is bogus but wanted to get some feedback. How is drinking one Monster in the morning while driving to the office much different than drinking a couple cups of coffee each morning? He was referencing a recent study on "5 Hour Energy" and I pointed out I wasn't talking about that product and he basically said "it is all the same". I am thinking nonsense but....

I had pretty much decided to give up my daily Monster in favor of a cranberry juice each morning but I am not convinced that is a better choice. Cranberry juice is loaded with natural sugars which I try to avoid (I basically don't drink sodas or eat much sweets). Also, cranberry juice doesn't have a flock of hot chicks running around in mini-dresses at the Supercross!!!

jason_ssr 07-11-2012 6:09 AM

Im no doc so take this with a grain of salt. I think the studies are "true", but they are based on the average sedentary adult. I think diet and food health are also that way. You are an active guy, and I dont think the properties of a food item have the same negative result on a healthy active person as they do an average desk jockey.

acurtis_ttu 07-11-2012 6:37 AM

I agree with what Jason said.

My opinon, anything in moderation is typically ok.

Secondly, DR's don't know everything, lol. They read studies and tend to form their own opions. like saying all energy drinks are the same.....which they are not.

I dont' really take "health" advice from people who's gut hangs over their pants...dr or otherwise. how big is your dr's gut? lol. scrubs and lab coats can hide alot:)

acurtis_ttu 07-11-2012 6:41 AM

comparing cigarettes to monster is borderline ludacris too.

Reminds me of the Dr's from " Super size me" saying eating Mcdonalds was ok on a daily basis......watch the movie and note the size of the Dr's gut (s) :)

boardjnky4 07-11-2012 6:41 AM

Monster Energy drinks are NOT the same as 5-hour energy shots. 5 Hour energy shots are loaded with B-12 vitamin to give you a jolt. Monster drinks use Taurine and Guarna for energy. So it's not an apples to apples comparison.

He is making an assumption that they are the same, and using a potentially flawed study as a factual reference for this conclusion.

He should do more research on what is in each type of drink, the manner in which the study was conducted and the methodology of how the conclusion was drawn before talking off-the-cuff about their health effects with his patients.

jhartt3 07-11-2012 6:48 AM

http://www.news-medical.net/news/201...gy-drinks.aspx

bcrider 07-11-2012 8:59 AM

Either way I couldn't see how drinking one of those every morning could be good for you. Those things have 54grams of sugar in a 16 oz can. I'm no coffee drinker myself but I don't ever find the need to give myself a morning jolt to get going. Although if you do want a bit of a morning spring then you should look at some of the veggie powders like Phd Greens to use in a shake. http://www.phdnutrition.ca/Products/...ma-greens.html

07-11-2012 9:05 AM

Good thing i drink 12oz redbulls...they only have 39g sugar lol

I'm trying to battle my addiction to redbulls, im down to 4-5/week:)

jarrod 07-11-2012 9:24 AM

I'm less concerned about the caffeine and more concerned about the other stuff, unless you're the type that drinks them all day.

The worst part is the sugar. A can of monster contains 13 teaspoons of sugar. Sugar is causing all kinds of problems, from inflammation and obesity to diabetes. If you elect to drink the low carb diet versions, then you're just trading the sugar for a lot of test-tube-created chemical sweeteners, and who knows what kind of health implications will come from that. We're pumping ourselves full of more chemicals than ever, and the cancer rate is up to 1/2 people. Coincidence???

fly135 07-11-2012 9:28 AM

I stay away from stuff like that as a matter of principle. I prefer to keep my food sources on a simple less processed level.

poser007 07-11-2012 9:47 AM

This is all I can say

I never ever drank energy drinks and one day we were heading to the lake. We stopped at a gas station to fill my boat and grab some drinks and stuff for the cooler. When we got to the lake and we took a break, I reached into the cooler to grab a diet Pepsi. To my horror my girl friend had bought a bunch of sugar free Rockstars the white ones.

Since I was thirsty I drank one. here is the problem

I have been addicted ever since. Every time I try to stop drinking them I get terrible headaches that turns into migraines. Once I drink one the headache is gone within 15 minutes. When I drink them now which is everyday my stomach feels really bloated but if I don't drink one my headache returns within about 24 hours..

I'm not a Doctor but I am pretty sure these drinks are not a great way to quench our thirst. I feel like a drug addict every time I gulp one down. If you looked in my fridge you would see a case of 24 at all times. It's a love hate relationship. My advice - Don't even start drinking them

ottog1979 07-11-2012 11:08 AM

^^ Given that John Anderson is still rockin' wake at mid 50's, I'd say his statement has a lot of credibility.

boardjnky4 07-11-2012 11:11 AM

To the people mentioning the sugar intake, they do make sugar free ones. They have less than 10 calories.

skull 07-11-2012 11:17 AM

I drink the blue ones that have no sugar and very few calories. I haven't drank a regular green one in a couple years- those are the ones loaded with a ridiclous amount of sugar. I can see how those are bad for you. Those will make even active people pack on the pounds. I understand the headache thing... luckily that doesn't happen to me. I just spent a week on vacation with no Monster and no problems whatsoever.

07-11-2012 11:24 AM

You are describing caffine withdrawl.

jason_ssr 07-11-2012 11:25 AM

I dont drink energy drinks, but I drink regular sodas and I dont avoid any food on principle. I have a garden and eat alot of the veggis I grow meself, so I dont constantly eat poorly, but I dont shy away from pizza or chicken fried steak or any other tasty treat. I dont watch my portions. Im 38 and to my wifes horror I wear the same size clothes I wore in college. Nothing like pulling out a pair of jeans to go clear brush in, and they are your acid washed jeans from 1992. Eat all the cake you want, if you live a lifestyle that burns that kind of sugar. Same goes for Monster. If youre lifestyle\schedule doesnt allow for that kind of burning, then obviously its going to have any number of negative effects if you do it.

07-11-2012 11:27 AM

My problem is, is where I work on the weekends its handed out by the handfuls. My old employer I drank 3-4days during our playoff runs and my fridge in my office was stocked full of them.

I think im going to try and kick them again after this weekends redbull wake open.

fly135 07-11-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ottog1979 (Post 1766484)
^^ Given that John Anderson is still rockin' wake at mid 50's, I'd say his statement has a lot of credibility.

I have to give more credit to a lifestyle that involved 36 years of being regularly dragged behind a boat.

I have pretty much lived my life like Jason described. But at the age of 55 I decided with encouragement from my wife (who got radical with her diet after getting Lyme) to change that. I now avoid most refined sugars and processed foods. I also juice veggies regularly enough to consume about 24 oz/day. And I mean serious veggies with pulp blended back in. Not stuff from a store shelf. Right off the bat my new stable weight went down about 10 lbs (157 down to 147).

I also cut out pork and beef, although I will eat it away from home if that's what's being served. Sticking mainly to chicken and turkey. And pretty much nothing that comes out of a can. It's hard to say if I feel healthier because I already felt great. But I definitely look better in the mirror and my colon thanks me for having buttery smooth poo:eek:

Likewise I don't eat any supplements of any kind. I have no opinion of whether some/all are good or bad. Just don't think trying to fix something that isn't broke with an unknown is a good idea. I just decided on simplicity as a principle rather than trying to figure out what is or isn't healthy. Fresh veggies and fruit, chicken, and bakery fresh breads with more whole grains. In the end it's really cheap. And it's easy to not over consume because you have to put in the effort to prepare it.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i..._135/juice.jpg

wakeboardingdad 07-11-2012 12:37 PM

The energy drinks can't be good for you. Look at the contents. However, I doubt diet drinks are any better and I drink those. I really got burned out on H2O and I can't seem to get my taste buds to get back to the basics. It takes will power at first and then it becomes habit. I'm missing the will power.

I do have to admit that I see/feel the effects of a small Redbull and will drink one from time to time. 2-3 times a year. I would drink more if I planned my activity better. I really feel they pick me up for the second half of the day of hard dirtbike riding or after lunch on the boat.

jarrod 07-11-2012 1:02 PM

If you're drinking the diet / low calorie version, then here's a little education on the artificial sweetener that you're consuming:

Acesulfame Potassium
Also seen as Acesulfame K, Ace-K, Sunett, or Sweet One, Acesulfame Potassium is a sugar substitute that is 200 times sweeter than table sugar. It is used as a flavor enhancer and sweetener for foods. It is a low calorie food ingredient because our bodies do not metabolize it. Acesulfame K also is not consumed by bacteria so it does not contribute to tooth decay as sugar does. However, methylene chloride is used for the production of Acesulfame K, which also is used as a propellant, degreaser, and paint stripper. There are many side effects with consumption of Acesulfame K, including increased risk for cancer, triggering chronic respiratory disease, or abnormal cravings for sweets. The chemical remains stable when exposed to heat, basic, or acidic conditions. Since it is stable under high heat, manufacturers use Acesulfame K potassium to use in baking and extending shelf life. This artificial sweetener has a slight bitter aftertaste, but companies are using this with sodium ferulate to mask the bitterness. Other companies use Acesulfame K with other alternative sweeteners such as Aspartame or sucralose to control the use of it.

Your energy drinks also contain a preservative called Benzoic Acid.

Benzoic Acid

Side Effects:

Headaches
Intestine Upset
May increase hyperactivity in affected children. Asthmatics sometimes react badly. Be cautious if you suffer from allergies or intolerances.

And we haven't even talked about artificial flavors and colors yet.

bcrider 07-11-2012 1:17 PM

John, I agree with everything you said except for the fact that "in the end it's really cheap". I know my wife and I spend more per week eatting lot's of fruit and veggies over anything that comes in a can/jar/or deep freeze and we buy it directly from the local farms. On Sunday you can't stick another thing in our fridge and by Thursday or Friday it's a ghost town in there.

wakeboardern1 07-11-2012 1:18 PM

My suggestion is the Monster Rehab drinks. They're a combo of Tea, the energy mixture and juice. Still not the best, but substantially better than the other stuff. Plus they aren't carbonated. There are a few different flavors. My favorites are the Tea+Lemonade and Rojo. Although Orange+Tea and the Green Tea ones are good as well.

My alternative to energy drinks and coffee though has become caffeine pills. One caffeine pill has more in it than a monster, and it works just as well, if not better. Plus, depending on the brand, they range from 3 cents to 20 cents per pill, which is infinitely cheaper than other methods of caffeine consumption. If you do go that route though, I strongly suggest picking up a gallon jug of water and refilling it each day. Caffeine is a powerful diuretic and you'll be real real thirsty. All sources of caffeine also seem to work much better (at least for me) when you are well hydrated as well.

psudy 07-11-2012 1:35 PM

I used to drink 5 hour energy all the time. I developed a heart murmur. Not sure if they are directly related but since I have quit drinking them, I don't seem to notice it as much.

fly135 07-11-2012 1:37 PM

Dave, you are right. It can be expensive. Especially if you buy organic. I buy non-organic and shop for the best price between a local ethnic produce market and Aldi. Aldi usually has the best prices, but rarely carries everything at any time. This year my garden got kicked into full gear with a bumper crop of okra and greens and beets that I use for juicing. My garden is organic because I put nothing in it except compost, and hand pick/squash the bugs.

For whatever reason strawberries and blueberries are dirt cheap right now. And the watermelons seem cheaper than usual as well. I used to buy everything at the Publix supermarket. But now I just pick up only a few things there.

wakeboardingdad 07-11-2012 8:25 PM

John, I have considered juicing in the past. Any recipes or suggestions? How many times a week do you go to the store to keep edible/juicable produce? I hate seeing (expensive) produce go to waste!

Also, unfortunately, it is cheaper to eat "crap" and drink diet Big Ks or Sams Choice.

fly135 07-12-2012 8:22 AM

I juice about 48oz every 2 days.

I recommend the Omega Masticating Juicer. The masticating juicer extracts more juice than the centrifugal, so is cheaper in the long run. Bed Bath & Beyond has them for $229.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?SKU=14526986

Get a 20% off discount coupon from the web site and then go into the store and have them order it. That's the only way to get the discount.

I get my veggies from a local produce market that's pretty cheap. Also I started a garden and get a lot from it now. My basic recipe (48-64oz) is pretty much this.

1) A big batch of greens of any mix (Kale, Collards, Spinach, Mustard greens, Broccoli)
2) 1 lb carrots
3) 3 apples
4) 1 lemon
5) Ginger (golf all size chunk)
6) 1/3 of a celery bunch
7) 1 or 2 Beets.
8) Optional... Anything else on hand.... Zucchini, Squash, Bell Pepper, etc...

After juicing I take about 10% of the ejected pulp (sometimes more, but start slow adding back the pulp) and blend it back into the juice. Adding the pulp makes it like a smoothy, but it takes a hardy stomach to handle it.

When you juice, juice everything including the leaves of the beets, the rind of the lemon, and the stalks of the broccoli. Juice stuff you wouldn't normally eat.

Good Luck!
The apples add some sweetness needed to make the juice palatable.

steezyshots 07-12-2012 10:01 AM

I have nothing to back up my opinion but I believe in my lifetime we will see a huge backlash on energy drink company due to side effects. Energy drinks are a relatively new thing and there probably isn't enough data to form a viable study yet. I used to drink 2-3 red bulls a day and I was fat! I quit cold turkey and I lost 40 pounds over about a 3 month period. My wife is a health freak so my diet has always been pretty top notch.

My grandparents generation thought that cigarettes weren't bad for you and after 50 years of smoking and collecting data and seeing all the deaths linked to smoking the tobacco companies were hit with major lawsuits! I believe that will happen to energy drink companies as well down the road.

All that being said if you're gonna drink one, make it a red bull because they really do the most good for action sports and the athletes that participate in them. I saw an article the other day that red bill donated 90 million dollars to spinal cord research! how many other energy drink companies do you see doing that?

jarrod 07-12-2012 10:04 AM

^^^ agreed. Over the next decade I also believe that we'll start to see a lot more data around the effects of energy drinks. I also believe that eventually, they will be regulated.

07-12-2012 10:07 AM

Im counting down the days that I make the plunge and quit. Starting this sunday:) crystal light has helped me in the past with the taste thing, i already drink a full gallon of water a day.

wakeboardingdad 07-12-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fly135 (Post 1766843)
I juice about 48oz every 2 days.

I recommend the Omega Masticating Juicer. The masticating juicer extracts more juice than the centrifugal, so is cheaper in the long run. Bed Bath & Beyond has them for $229.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?SKU=14526986

Get a 20% off discount coupon from the web site and then go into the store and have them order it. That's the only way to get the discount.

Thanks for the great info. I was looking at a masticating juicer last night, but couldn't see $300 for something that I may "fail" to use. BBB is great! The wife is there all the time with her stack of coupons. I was "about" to buy a centrifugal after watching some Youtube vids and looking at costs, but knew the Omega masticating would be better (and quieter).

fly135 07-12-2012 12:50 PM

The drawback of the masticating is that you have to cut the veggies into smaller pieces, and it is slower to consume them. I also acquired a centrifugal from my mom who decided it was too big and messy to use. It is fast but I stuck with the Omega for the most efficient extraction.

"They" say the heat from the centrifugal is bad for the juice, but I don't put a lot of weight on claims like that. They also say that you have to drink it within 20 minutes or the nutrients go away. Again I think that's rubbish.

fly135 07-12-2012 12:53 PM

Oh yeah.... That juice pic I posted is green because I didn't put beets in it. Even one beet will make the juice purple. And don't freak out if you think you've got blood in your poo. The red dye of the beets is very powerful and goes all the way through.:)

07-12-2012 1:00 PM

^^^yeah but what does one do if they dont eat most veggies?? (only eat cucumbers, celery, carrots, carrots, lettuce, potatoes, tomatoes) lol.

Im about as picky eater as a girl is going to find. Good luck to her

wakeboardingdad 07-13-2012 9:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr (Post 1766934)
^^^yeah but what does one do if they dont eat most veggies?? (only eat cucumbers, celery, carrots, carrots, lettuce, potatoes, tomatoes) lol.

Im about as picky eater as a girl is going to find. Good luck to her

You pretty much stated my core veggies, plus baby spinach, corn, most beans and peppers. I think the key to being able to drink the kales and big leaf spinach is covering it up with sweet fruit. About a year ago, I watched fat, sick and nearly dead and almost pulled the trigger. In reality, I wasn't ready. Today, I need to do something, but kind of burned out on the abs diet food fare which is just plain good food. Juicing may be the jumpstart I need. There's lots of vids on Ytube (as you prolly know).

I think I'm heading to BBB in the morning to order it like John suggested. It is the best deal out there and it'll make sorbets and natural peanut butter too. The centrifucals won't do that.

Thanks again for the tips John. Gotta remember to get some beets. :D

07-16-2012 9:08 AM

Well...Im 36hrs into my sugar/energy drinks kick. Had my last sip at midnight the final night of redbull wake open.

Its going to be a battle Im sure, as I can get the stuff by the case for free and friends with redbull girls. Just sonething about holding a redbull can makes me so much happier sitting at my office. I use to consume 3-4/day.

Im consuming tobs of water and sprinkling some crystal light n my bottle/glass. Wish me luck!

fly135 07-16-2012 9:48 AM

I take a bottle and throw in a green tea bag, a squirt of honey, and a batch of peppermint from the garden. Then I refill it during the day from the water cooler. Seems to me like you become acclimated to whatever you are doing. So after a while your green tea or whatever it is becomes your habit. You just have to make your habits good ones.

skull 07-16-2012 10:42 AM

I don't think I am giving them up. I actually enjoy drinking one on the morning drive each morning. I have thought about it but for the time being I think I am sticking with the Monster Absolute Zero.

07-16-2012 11:00 AM

Did i mention I was giving up the dipping too? Did it for yrs until I met my ex, went 4yrs without one then when I decided to file for divorce I started bck up, been doing it for 2yrs now. Quitting cold turkey on that and the energy drinks at once haha. Trying to not turn to MDew either.

jperkinsttu 07-16-2012 11:06 AM

Holy cow man. Your body is gonna go into shock haha. Good luck though I quit dipping cold turkey last year for the 2nd time haha. Energy drinks are no going anywhere anytime soon though.

skull 07-17-2012 5:51 AM

Jerrod- I think you live like 2 miles from me. I live in Corinth also.

pierce_bronkite 07-17-2012 2:19 PM

About 5 years ago I used to drink the green monsters everyday in the morning and now I cant stand the taste of them. I also gained a **** ton of weight from drinking them, once I stopped I dropped the weight as well. I do drink the occasional Red Bull but only because I got stock piles of that in my garage (thanks to friends who are Red Bull employees).

Like someone said, even though it says "Zero Carb" or "No sugars" you have have to think what kind of chemical sh*t storm is in them. My alternative to the caffeine is coffee, black, no sugars, no cream/milk. :D

theloungelife 07-17-2012 3:05 PM

I would listen to John Anderson.

I am also an avid juicer. 3 years ago I would drinker 2-3 redbulls (8oz) a day, basically equal to one monster, and I always felt tired eventually. I would go through constant highs and lows throughout the day. Then I went through a horrible intestinal experience and found out I have Crohn's disease after an emergency surgery. I know it wasn't the years of red bulls that did it, even though I do think they made it worse. Here I am 3 years later, off all my medicines, following a super strict diet where I basically only eat fresh veggies, fruits, and eggs. I cook everything from scratch, eat loads of raw, and juice a lot. I can say without a doubt that my energy levels are miles ahead from back when I loved my Red Bull. If I do want caffeine, I brew some green tea and tried to keep it under 100mg for the day (equal to about 1 cup coffee)

I guess what I am trying to say is kick the habit. After you detox, which will be painful at first, you will feel amazing. A healthy, fresh, mostly plant based diet will make you feel incredible, as has been discussed above.

theloungelife 07-17-2012 3:06 PM

I'd also like the add that their is an awesome campaign in snowboarding right called "Drink Water," led up by boarders Austin Smith and Brian Fox. It would be cool to see some of that filter in here, as well. A great force to keep us healthy and out on the water.

wakeboardingdad 07-18-2012 1:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ours came in today and my son couldn't wait till I got home to open it up. Bought it at Bed Bath and Beyond, like John suggested, but upgraded to black and chrome for $259. The 20% off paid for tax and shipping plus another $15 off.

fly135 07-18-2012 1:56 PM

Chrome looks good! After you get the hang of it try blending some of the pulp back in. The carrot pulp is the most palatable, but you can add some of the other too.

Their warranty is good. I cracked the strainer trying to juice some sugar cane (yeah dumb I know). Send an email to customer service. They had me send in a pic of the strainer, then sent me two in the mail for free.

jeff_mn 07-19-2012 8:24 AM

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livin...182100210.html

pesos 07-20-2012 9:07 AM

I have never actually tasted an energy drink... I have an occasional Mexican coke and that's about it. Reminds me of the old days in Texas when we could get a tall bottle of coke for a quarter.

I have been meaning to get a juicer - on an acai bowl kick now that we finally got a decent blender and it's been great.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...78911086_n.jpg