WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   HELP! Cleaning the boat after the Delta (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=788484)

jmanst15 06-27-2011 11:57 PM

HELP! Cleaning the boat after the Delta

Hey WW,
I just wanted to get some input about keeping the boat clean during our time at the Delta and after we take the boat out. We are going to Discovery Bay for a week and will have the boat in the water at a dock. Its never been in saltwater and I just wanna get some info before we head up there. Is there anything I should do as far as corrosion prevention when its in the water? What about after? Just hose it down real well is all I know about but is there any other tricks and tips! Thanks

jarrod 06-28-2011 7:32 AM

The delta is not salt water. Just treat it like you would after a week on the lake.

You may have a little ring around the hull. But it should wipe right off.

getssum 06-28-2011 9:11 AM

Good coat of wax before you set out couldn't hurt either!

diamonddad 06-28-2011 9:39 AM

Just clean it with some soap after you pull the boat out before it dries.

leaks 06-28-2011 10:05 AM

Like J-Rod said; No salt water here. Hopefully your in a bay that isnt having issues with the weed growth. The State has contracted some firm to treat the water, but IMO, not seeing much results. When are you coming, and where are you staying?
as far as cleaning, a good wax prior, and a good hosing afterwards should be fine.

Michael 06-28-2011 10:20 AM

Yeah I wouldnt even worrie about it. Just fresh water like any other lake.

Michael 06-28-2011 10:23 AM

My tips would be just be careful. The delta is more like a roadway, your going to be passing people at close proximities at times. The farther you travel out the less people there are.

migs 06-28-2011 10:39 AM

pull her out, spray some babes or whatev gel coat cleaner you use and wipe her down. done.
wipe down the inside at the end of each day or every monring while sippin on your coffee while eveyones still in bed.

guido 06-28-2011 11:12 AM

The pre-wax is a good idea any time you're going to have your boat in the water for a long time. Wipe down the above rub rail area with Babe's, Pledge (furniture polish) or a vinegar/water/zip wax solution before you let it bake in the sun for the afternoon.

Have fun.

jmanst15 06-28-2011 3:26 PM

so the "brackish" water is not the same at salt water I am understanding from what everyone is saying? Sounds good! We will be headed up the 7th of july and staying in DB somewhere...family trip!

Michael 06-28-2011 3:46 PM

Jeff,

Brakish water is half salt water half fresh water.... Discovery bay is far enough from the ocean that its all fresh water. Just think of it as if your going to be leaving your boat on a lake, except its greener.

jmanst15 06-28-2011 4:05 PM

sweet mike! Thanks for the clarification

norcalrider 06-28-2011 4:38 PM

Flows are big enough right now that I wouldn't worry about brackish.

denystaucd 06-28-2011 6:47 PM

Just to add a little more; Disco Bay's salinity is 0 ppt, if you do head toward franks tract you can get up to 2 ppt but typically well below 1 ppt (still very low).
Brackish is usually 15 ppt and sea water is 33-35 ppt. You have to get out to Port Chicago in Pittsburgh, CA to get up to 8 ppt. Most of Disco Bay's water this time of year is made up of Sacramento, San JOAQUIN, Mokelumne, Stanislas , and Cosumnes Rivers.

Oh yeah. The water temp was 77F yesterday in disco bay.

Cheers,
DC

getssum 06-29-2011 1:15 PM

Also, one thing to point out is that when you're on the delta, most sloughs that have tule's in the middle run counter clockwise.

You'll basically always want to keep the closest levee to the driver's right hand side.

Follow some other boaters around and you'll get the hang of it.

Don't forget about Orwood for breakfast and taco tuesdays, and union point for lunch!

rmotoxxx711 06-29-2011 2:56 PM

Yes the delta is definately not salt water and it's not as bad as you think dirt wise especially compared to Florida lakes on bad days. We just got rain yesterday too so that could help. Just buy some babes boat shine green bottle of spray liquid and go behind it after and it will clean right up.
Oh and you should hit that Orwood dock strait across from disco for bomb food like ^he said

jmanst15 06-29-2011 4:08 PM

sweet guys. Good lookin out!