WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through March 18, 2009 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=680898)
-   -   Trailer Bunk Redo (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=674230)

victory07rdr 02-28-2009 12:40 PM

Any tips on re-doing my trailer bunks for the first time? What wood, carpet, glue? I've heard SS staples but how many staples do you use? All up and down the board, or just on the ends where carpet folds over? Thanks

dhcomp 02-28-2009 1:10 PM

You may want to reconsider doing this yourself if you have so many questions. <BR> <BR>You can buy marine bunk carpet at marine stores. Use stainless staples if you want it to last. I never used any glue. Staple it along the side, where you fold it, everywhere besides where the boat will sit. It will stay on longer this way. <BR> <BR>Really, with common sense....its pretty hard to screw up this project. <BR> <BR>Good luck!

rvh3 02-28-2009 1:25 PM

You can get the carpet at Home Depot.

stephan 02-28-2009 2:11 PM

It is a pretty easy project. Use treated wood and staple like crazy. Instead of completely wrapping the board we've left the bottom uncovered to allow for drainage. Personally glue on the top will help prevent the carpet from ever slipping

1boarder_kevin 03-01-2009 1:04 PM

cut a strip of carpet just as wide as the top of the board and then put the final layer on top of this. As stated above, leave most of the bottom uncovered so it drain/dry. <BR> <BR>Other than just pulling it tight and stapling (SS staples) it on the sides and bottom it is straightforward. Check your boards to make sure they are in good shape. The big issue normally is what to do with your boat. I went to the boat ramp and tied the boat up and did it right at the ramp. Tools are just a screwdriver/needlenose pliers to pull old staples, utility knife with a lot of blades ready and a staple gun.

bftskir 03-01-2009 2:02 PM

I would not waste my time trying to reuse the old wood pulling staples etc, use new pressure treated wood and only one layer of carpet, use the stuff they sell for bunks, use stainless steel staples(if you have an air powered stapler it works better than a spring type) you can then do all the work at home/shop then just go down to the ramp to launch and swap them out in the parking lot, then all is brand spankin new(also might want to get new galv lag bolts too.)

oshelton 03-01-2009 3:06 PM

Only reuse your current boards if they are pressure treated. Forget pulling the staples. Either cut the carpet off or apply new carpet over the old carpet. If your current boards are not pressure treated, toss them and buy new boards. Buy marine grade carpet to minimize mold, mildew and rotting. Use stainless steel stapes. Galvanized staples will not stand up against chemicals now used to pressure treat lumber. <BR>We offer 20 oz marine grade carpet already slit into 14"W x 100'L rolls. Contact Jerry at <a href="mailto:info@boatmatetrailers.com">info@boatm atetrailers.com</a>.

kko13 03-01-2009 3:09 PM

All the above is good advice. just check to see what is holding the boards on now some use carriage bolts not lag bolts. If you go back with carriage bolts they have to be put in before you put the carpet on.