WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through June 21, 2006 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=339308)
-   -   Trailer Brakes (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=331327)

hudd007 06-01-2006 5:25 PM

I have a 4 pin Connector and am wondering how to back UP my driveway without fighting the brakes? <BR> <BR>I know the 5th pin is for a Brake Bypass but I only have a 4 pin on the trailer. Can I just disconnect the air/hydraulic fitting? I'm not sure what runs through it but it looks like an air hose but I think it has fluid in it. <BR> <BR>Any help would be appreciated. I have had the boat in the street and got a ticket last night. Damn HOA companies. You gotta love them though....

mobv 06-01-2006 6:09 PM

There is a manual method to prevent the brakes from actuating. Check the owners manual on the coupler. You should have received a "key" that inserts into the side of the coupler. Mine was on the key ring with the boat key when I picked up the boat. Yours may be in the owners manual packet. It doesn't look like a key, I dont know how to describe.

dadthedriver 06-01-2006 6:16 PM

A nickle inserted in the slot that slides back and forth on the tounge will work as well

csquared 06-01-2006 7:27 PM

Turn the 4 pin connector over (180 degrees from normal) and connect it to the 5-pin (assuming that both are flat). Turn on your lights and it will activate the bypass. <BR> <BR>How did you end up with a 4-pin connector on a trailer with brakes and an electric bypass?

hudd007 06-01-2006 9:36 PM

Shawn, <BR>I'm not sure if I have the bypass or not. I just said I know the 5th pin is for that, but since I only have a 4 pin flat I was wondering what I could do to prevent the breaks from actuating. <BR> <BR>George, <BR>I don't have anything that came in the owners manual. Hmm. Maybe I should try the trailer or local Centurion dealership. <BR> <BR>Ben, <BR>I'll have to try that. Hopefully I can find which slot you are talking about. Thanks.

rodmcinnis 06-02-2006 12:43 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words.... <BR> <BR>Send us a picture of your trailer tongue and we will be able to tell you exactly what you need.

josnow1 06-02-2006 12:51 PM

Do what Shawn said, that works. Also, the key the George is talking about looks like a "D" with a tab on it, slips into the tongue infront of the actuator. You can buy an adapter at an auto parts store that converts your 4 pin to 5 pin. But for the time being simply flip you connector and have your lights turned on like Shawn explained.

trace 06-02-2006 1:38 PM

He said he doesn't have a 5-pin on the trailer either. <BR> <BR>Not all couplers work the same. The key is for UFP's only. Atwood uses a mechanical toggle. Post a pic of the coupler and we can tell you how to do it the manual way. You can also add the solenoid to the brake line and go to 5-pin plugs on your truck &amp; trailer to automate the process.

pittsy 06-02-2006 5:32 PM

you might want to check the trailer reverse lamp fuse...i had the same problem where my boat wouldn't back up at all and then i found out that my fuse was blown and i put a new fuse in a now it works perfectly!

hudd007 06-02-2006 11:06 PM

I put a washer on each side of the tongue where the pin slides back and forth and I "think" it worked. Think is the key word. I got the trailer up my inclined driveway in reverse and put it in the garage so I'm guessing it was alright. <BR> <BR>Trace and Rod, I'll see if I can get a pic up tomorrow.

fyrdawg29 06-04-2006 5:08 PM

sean's correct..just flip the connectors

trace 06-05-2006 12:32 PM

Again, flipping the connector only works if your trailer has a 5-pin and the tow vehicle has a 4-pin.