WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through January 18, 2008 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=537823)
-   -   Hyperlite 3ds boot "Fit Question" (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=524533)

whitlecj 12-04-2007 5:29 PM

Hey guys. I wore the LF Shane Closed toe boots all year and had several foot and ankle sprains on both ankles. The last one is your typical "tantrum ankle sprain" (front of the ankle) but I also sprained the top of my foot and arch pretty bad. I am slowly but surely healing but still have some soreness/tenderness in the foot and ankle. Doc says its a 6-8 wk injury and it has been about 6, but I reagrevated it about 3 weeks ago trying to get that one last ride in. <BR> <BR>Anyway, to my question, I ordered some 3ds boots after reading posts about their quality ankle support. They came in today and it appears they will offer some great support. After using a good bit of soap, I one of the boots on my good foot. I could not get the boot on my bad foot as I didn't want to aggrevate it any worse. They are tough to get into no doubt. The one the I did get on, my big toe touches the end of the boot when I put it on. It is not cramping my toe up or anything but I can definately feel it on the end of it. Is this the right fit for this boot? My Shanes just barely, ever so lightly touch the end and I have lightly jammed my toe a couple of times in them. I would really just like to know if I got the right fit and if these boots are going to be any easier to get on and off after a few runs. I also don't have them on the board yet so that may be making them either harder or easier to get on and off. Anyway, I guess I have rambled enough. What do you guys think?

johnsvt 12-04-2007 5:39 PM

I struggled with my 3DS boots to get them on the first couple of times and almost sent them back. They were definitely much tougher to get on vs. the Murry's I had before. However after riding 3-4 times I can put the boots on dry. My feet are close to my toes but I have about a finger till my toes get to the end of the boot. I have yet to jam my toe on either my Murry's or my 3DS's.

skiburban 12-04-2007 6:03 PM

I had a similar top of the foot and arch sprain earlier this year using 06 3ds boots on a borrowed setup. My foot got caught half in half out and twisted - I wore an immobilizing boot for 6 weeks to get over it. <BR> <BR>Oddly enough I just got a set of 07 3ds boots and I was wondering if I went with a softer boot like the Shanes if it would help prevent the foot injury problem. Sounds like similar injury potential with both boots. <BR> <BR>I have heard that the 3ds boots will get easier to get into once they are broken in. My 3ds boots fit similar to the way you describe. I wear a size 9 to 9.5 shoe and I got the large boots. <BR>I probably didn't answer your question, but that's my experience with this boot limited as it is.

dudeman 12-04-2007 6:03 PM

They'll break in. I have a size 10 foot and got the large which fit 9-11. After breaking in they are too big and my foot will slide forwards to the toe. Size M/L 9-10 would have been perfect for me. Once they break in, they are super comfy and supportive.

whitlecj 12-04-2007 6:12 PM

Les, Mine was getting sprained by coming down super hard on my toeside edge with my foot staying in the boot. Makes me wonder if even these new boots will help, if yours happened in the 3ds. <BR> <BR>I wear a size 9.5 shoe most of the time and bought the M/L boot. It will be a while before I will ride again and was wondering about the fit of these boots so I will know if I need to send them back or not. The toe of the boot I got on my foot was a little pushed in so I wonder if that may have been why it was touching my toe. Don't know, but it seems like I remember reading a lot of post when closed toe boots first came out that stated that you wanted your toe to touch the end of the boot. I really have no idea as the Shanes were my first pair of closed toes and I probably only wore them 15-20 times and they are still like new. <BR> <BR>(Message edited by whitlecj on December 04, 2007)

whitlecj 12-05-2007 6:57 AM

After sleeping on this, I was wondering if I might be better off keeping my Shanes and getting a lace up brave to wear on my bad ankle. It is supposed to be nice here this weekend and I have no shot at getting the 3ds boots on if I try to ride. Any experience with the lace up braces? Is there any strengthening I can do to prevent the tantrum ankle sprain in the future if I continue riding the Shanes? I really like the shanes but don't want to be gimped on and off next season.

skiburban 12-05-2007 10:44 AM

I hope my post didn't weigh too heavily on that decision because it shouldn't - take it for what it is - ONE set on the 3ds and that was on a different board, bindings, boat (a heavily weighted 220)than what I'm used to riding. I was also trying a new trick - So there were a lot of factors that contributed to my problem, probably the least of which were the boots. I think I'm going to keep the 3ds and try them in the spring. <BR>Only you can decide if they fit right though.

whitlecj 12-06-2007 6:06 AM

Thanks for your posts Les. I still haven't really made my decision. We are supposed to hit 70 here on Saturday and I may try to get in the 3ds and give them a go. Problem is they hurt my bad foot/ankle so much the time I "tried" to get in them. Maybe when I get them mounted on my board and have some lube and water working it wont be as bad as it appeared trying only with hands soap and no board in my living room.

elantz 12-06-2007 9:33 AM

Hey guys, here are my random thoughts: <BR> <BR>I've had 3 pairs of 3ds boots (my newest being the Atlas 08). They are a pain to get on when new, but they do break in. I have a size 9.5 wide foot and I've gone down to the M/L size from the Large. <BR> <BR>I sprained my ankle with these coming up short on a backroll. My foot came half way out of the binding until my heal couldn't make it past the top velcro strap. It hurt like hell. Now I ride without the top straps and let my feet come out on hard crashes. I know I'm risking knee damage with the one foot in, one out scenario, but so far so good. <BR> <BR>My toes touch the front of the boots and I tighten the laces pretty good. Now I get the support of a stiff boot, but when I take a digger, they release. <BR> <BR>The new Atlas (3ds) bindings are a improved a little. They now have support/material all the way to end of your toes, which I like. <BR> <BR>I've stayed with these bindings because I've never ridden another boot that fits my foot better and still has that "connected to the board" feeling.

westsidarider 12-06-2007 7:13 PM

if your having problems spraining your ankle with that same motion then the 3ds bindings are your best bet. they are very supportive of your ankle in every direction and also provide support up your leg quite a bit which will further save your ankle. while the shanes are comfortable they deffinately are softer and looser on your ankle no matter how tight you try to get them