WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through July 24, 2009 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=720153)
-   -   Boat storage or boat shelter ?'s (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=716308)

bigbelly 07-14-2009 11:17 AM

I've had my boat stored during the winter at a buddies house in his barn and I'd like to bring the boat home. I was just wondering what any of you folks have done, built or bought in terms of an RV cover (metal of canvas) or any other way you keep your boat safe from the elements. <BR> <BR>Any photo's are appreciated. I've got to do something and my boat won't fit in my garage. I've done the warehouse storage thing but it's just too damn expensive.

jrbishop4 07-18-2009 8:34 PM

I went to menards and got a cheap 20' carport that works great for my X2 for the summers and then store it in warehouse for the winter. It has worked great for me and has lasted through a few good storms with 70 mph winds. I will try to get some pics when I get a chance.

bigbelly 07-21-2009 11:10 AM

Justin, <BR> <BR>Is this just a canvas carport? Pics would be great, thanks for the reply. <BR> <BR>Anyone else willing to post photos or other ideas?

elc 07-21-2009 11:52 AM

I built a 30 x 11 x 11 carport type structure that works pretty well. I built it out of 6x6 and used the the wavy steel sheets for the roof. I currently have tarps on the side but they are getting pretty thrashed after a couple years. I need to look into something else for the sides.

jrbishop4 07-22-2009 2:36 PM

Chad, it is just one that has metal poles that interlock together to make the frame and then a trap over top. The tarp is similar to the cheap blue tarps but it is more durable. I have had no problems with it and I have used it for about 6 months. But for around 130 bucks I can just buy a new one every year if I need to and save the time and money of using a storage unit. I can't upload pic's for some reason, but when I figure it out I will post some.

ss1234 07-22-2009 3:16 PM

I've done: <BR>1) the temporary metal pole/tarp version (from Costco) - worked well, but taught me the need to anchor it (recall the wizard of oz movie with the house spinning around in the tornado? Well my neighbor almost played the wicked witch) <BR>2) Permanent version, car port style. Way more costly, looks better, and more, well, permanent. I'm not sure it serves any better function. (sold the house) <BR>3) New house, and back to a temp version. Went temp version because cost and it's out of the way so what it looks like really doesn't come into play. Also took the learnings from the first one and put just a little bit more time into the anchoring. Coming up on 3 years and the tarp needs to be replaced. Somebody gave me the one I have, but it seemed to be a notch down from the costco one I previously had. <BR> <BR>I employed the following anchoring method to eliminate the wizard of oz syndrome: <BR> <BR>At the base of each pole, I dug a hole sized for a bag of fence post concrete. Took 2 pieces of approx 3' rebar and pounded them into the sides of the hole such that the ends of each piece met near the center of the hole, but below the surface. Poured in a bag of concrete and set one foundation j-bolt in the concrete. When the concrete set, I bolted a chunk of 4x6 PT wood to the single foundation bolt sticking up from each concrete pad. The canopy things come with bases that attach to the bottom of each pole. I then bolted each pole base to the 4x6 PT wood chunk. I fully expect the canopy structure to give way well before it can generate enough lift to pull out the rebar/concrete concoction.