WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through January 18, 2008 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=537823)
-   -   new alliance magazine article (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=522416)

captain_vilfo 11-26-2007 2:12 PM

I saw an article that was placed on page 10 and couldnt help but share how frikin awesome that giant spillway gap was. The sport of wakeboarding has become so insane throughout these past couple years and just seeing these guys (kyle murphy and Nick V) air over this gap that at least had to be 25 feet tall just blew my mind. Even to top it off the fact that these guys were sticking melon 360's and BS 180s over this is incredible. Too bad kyle blew his knee on the 540 attempt. I dont even know what I would be thinking if a 540 was stomped over this monsterous gap. Just thought i would share how stoked I was to see how hardcore these guys are making the sport and making it even more of a dream to ever become as good as them hahahahahah. <BR> <BR>(Message edited by captain_vilfo on November 26, 2007)

malibuboarder75 11-26-2007 2:29 PM

Can anyone scan this?

flying_fro 11-26-2007 2:34 PM

i dont know how to scan stuff but you should just go pick up the new mag. this issue is definately worth having

lovin_the_wake 11-26-2007 2:46 PM

I'm pretty sure you can check Alliance online

winch_mobn 11-26-2007 4:14 PM

Word. Thanks for the props. That gap was the coolest feeling thing i've ever done on a wakeboard. It felt like launching off a cliff on my snowboard. Look for the video coming soon in the new HOMELESS video.

electricsnow 11-26-2007 5:02 PM

the new alliance is supreme. Master photographer bryan soderlind has what might possibly be the best shot ever called "bare essentials." <BR> <BR>Though it's probably wakeskaters who will appreciate that one, strictly for one classic touch...

flying_fro 11-26-2007 9:50 PM

has anyone in socal ever seen this gap before?

flying_fro 11-27-2007 11:32 AM

Does anyone know how high the drop was?

iluvrussell 11-27-2007 11:51 AM

have you seen keith lyman jump off the wake and then onto a ten foot tall slider. that was pretty sick too.

malibuboarder75 11-27-2007 11:56 AM

I dont see the gap at alliancewake.com, also I dont have a subscription.

winch_mobn 11-27-2007 12:04 PM

The gap is approx. 20ft tall and 20 ft long. It was pulled with a winch and we were going about 20mph not very fast. It was a large ollie, with a gnarly landing. The water at the bottom of the falls is about waist deep and then gets ankle deep very quick....In the alliance article is says to loosen your bindings for doing something like this....That was the worst piece of information ever. It is understandable that you would want to get out of your bindings if you get stuck under the water but, there is a greater risk of severly hurting your ankle or knee jumping down something like this with loose bindings. Remember to check out your landing before you try anything like this and be smart....

flying_fro 11-27-2007 12:49 PM

hey leo, i went to <a href="http://www.alliancewake.com/subscribe.php" target="_blank">http://www.alliancewake.com/subscribe.php</a> <BR>best 20 bucks i ever spent

K.B.C. 11-27-2007 12:57 PM

yeah, the gap is pretty impressive. The urban side of the sport is developing into something pretty cool.

flying_fro 11-27-2007 10:43 PM

things are definately getting crazy with all the new spots that are now available due to winching

winch_mobn 11-29-2007 9:31 AM

at the end of this vid there are a couple of my clips from the gap <BR> <BR><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4nUDqU3i4w" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4nUDqU3i4w</a>

flying_fro 11-29-2007 11:22 AM

thanks for posting. that gap is intense

liquidmx 11-29-2007 12:38 PM

Nice vid nick. Are you guys lifting the winch up to soften the impact from the landing, similar to cable?

winch_mobn 11-29-2007 1:43 PM

there is no way to soften an impact like that, its pure knees and my slingshot flexes and helps soften the landing similar to a snowboard. <BR> <BR>The winch was just at the level of the drop because we didnt want to carry it anyfarther plus, it would have been pulling at a weird angle if we put it at the bottom of the drop.

winch_mobn 11-29-2007 1:43 PM

there is no way to soften an impact like that, its pure knees and my slingshot flexes and helps soften the landing similar to a snowboard. <BR> <BR>The winch was just at the level of the drop because we didnt want to carry it anyfarther plus, it would have been pulling at a weird angle if we put it at the bottom of the drop.

liquidmx 11-29-2007 2:50 PM

I totally agree that its pretty much all on the knees. I was just thinking (brainstorming really) that for safety's sake you would prefer for the winch to be at the level of the higher point. <BR> <BR>If you had a winch located at the level of the lower water section it seems that it would inherently pull you more over the front of the board thus that fatal "over the front" blow out. <BR> <BR>Just really thinking out loud there. How deep was that landing?

norcal18 11-29-2007 4:00 PM

when does homeless come out? also i heard that you guys filmed in plesanton CA where did you guys film?

slaysher 11-30-2007 8:51 AM

mad props again on that drop.

bstphen24 11-30-2007 8:58 AM

That wasn't the sub that sits in front of OMSI in Portland was it?

winch_mobn 11-30-2007 11:45 AM

The landing was about waist deep right where you had to land every where else is about ankle deep. <BR> <BR> <BR>The homeless movie is being finished and should be coming out soon. The guys filmed everywhere for it, Fish had some spots in plesanton, I only filmed a few shots with them. <BR> <BR>Yeah thats the sub, unless you're the authorities then it was filmed in Russia.

fisha_sweet 12-03-2007 10:15 AM

I was present for nick and murffs gap and it was one of the biggest gaps I've ever seen done. I was actually scared as they were riding up to the drop, <font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font> real. If you didn't come correct with it... Serious consequences. <BR> <BR>Yeah we filmed around Pleasanton but those spots are secret, sorry. : / <BR> <BR>Big high 5's to nick and murff for pushing the sport! <BR> <BR>Nick I got a gang of frequent flyer miles to use and I'm comin out that way soon.

behindtheboat 12-03-2007 11:24 AM

nick, <BR> <BR>Props on the "check your landing out" warning. I have actually been wondering to what extent this is done with all these types of locations now, falls, back rivers and creeks, who knows what you may find in those waterways. I'm sure it's the same rule of thumb as jumping bridges, swim the area and around it, but how much of this is really done? Are there any crazy stories? Are you freaked something may come down the river? Where I live we have all sorts of old quarries that will be perfect, until you hear of all the equipment, boulders and other random stuff that have been thrown in there, then I get sketched. Kind of like when I got pushed of the dock as a kid and luckily went in legs first, so the 6" fishing knife went in my knee, not my head...... nice stuff tho!