WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   Tahiti/Bora Bora Vacation (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=792388)

bruizza 03-22-2012 4:31 PM

Tahiti/Bora Bora Vacation

So my soon to be wife and I are planning on doing our wedding/honeymoon in Tahiti or Bora Bora. Our 2 big things are we want to do week long trip and stay in an over the water bungalow. I have searched around various Tahiti tourism sites that offer packages and what not. Do any of you folks who have been to this area have any suggestions on what to look for? I also found an over the water bungalow on VRBO.com and it seems like the flight options aren't terrible on Tahiti Air. However the bungalow is in Bora Bora so we still have to fly from Tahiti to Bora Bora which if i am doing the conversion right is $900. Seems kind of expensive for an hour flight. I guess I am just looking for any helpful hints or suggestions to make this the best trip we can make it. We are trying to keep it at $8,000 or less. So far I have it somewhat priced out at $6200 for the Bungalow and Flights. I am just not sure if it is better to spend a little extra and book through a resort/travel site package.

Bungalow I found on VRBO.

http://www.vrbo.com/316750

ottog1979 03-22-2012 5:44 PM

OK, first I have to disclaim that it's been 20 years. But I did a week of my honeymoon in Tahiti. The best advice I got was to get off the main island of Tahiti - you will fly into Papeete, the main town there. We spent 3-4 days in Morea which was only a short boat ride. The boat ride itself was nice. We really enjoyed Morea. At least back then it was not that populated - not nearly as much as the main island. Then, we flew to Bora Bora which was even smaller than Morea. Both were nice, it was fun to have the change-up in islands. But honestly, they weren't that much different as far as beauty & activities. So, you might consider Morea which would skip the island-jumper plane flight.

It is beautiful, you'll love it.

We did Fiji on the same trip. I'd go back there before Tahiti, just in case you want to look into an alternative.

306Rider 03-23-2012 7:32 AM

Bruizza
The place absolutly beautiful! I was in both Moorea and Bora Bora for a 12 days last year for my honeymoon. We both really like Moorea over Bora Bora. We had a over the water bungalow in Bora Bora which is nice to have if you are lounging around. If the cost is a lot more im not sure if its worth the cost. Moorea has a more laid back vibe. The island is twice the size of bora bora but is has less hotels and didnt have the tourist vibe. We were able to rent Scooters and drive around the island. Which they band in Bora Bora. The Diving there is amazing. One which you may know already, is its really expensive it might be worth getting a package with half board (Breakfast & Supper) For Pizza and a 1.5 liter coke it would be around $30. As for getting a packeage deal or not? I would price out both. I went with a package deal that my travel agent set up for us cause we had no clue about the Islands. If i was to do it again I would try and book on my own. Enjoy your honeymoon the place is amazing.

jeff_mn 03-23-2012 11:38 AM

$10k flight/hotel (bungalo) for a week is typical.

jeff_mn 03-23-2012 11:40 AM

And I x2 everything LJ said.

ottog1979 03-23-2012 12:21 PM

X3 on LJ. It hasn't changed much from my impression then. Apparently Bora Bora has gotten even more touristy. We loved the scooter ride around Morea. Make sure you ride them up the mountain (inland) on the north side of the island between the bays. The view is just awesome!

boatswaiyn 03-23-2012 12:33 PM

I lived in Tahiti, Moorea and also Raiatea for a couple years back in 1997 and 1998 and I also went on my honeymoon there in 1999. I have never been to Bora Bora but I have heard that it is the most beautiful island out there. I don't know it an over the water bungalow is worth the price you pay. You are so close to the water anywhere you stay it shouldn't be that big of a deal if you are trying to save a little money. One thing that I would highly recommend in Papeete is Les Roulottes (caravans) by the harbor downtown. It is basically 50 different food vendors that sell everything from crepes to Steak and fries. It is not expensive at all and the food is wonderful. The alternative to taking a flight from Papeete to Bora Bora is the 5 hours boat ride which I would not recommend. I took it out to Raiatea and wanted to puke the whole time. Another way to save some money would be to shop at the local stores. Every store has fresh bagettes every morning and they go great with your morning coffee. Also drink bottled water only. My wife swallowed the water in Moorea after brushing her teeth and it made it miserable for her next couple of days.

bruizza 03-26-2012 9:42 AM

Okay sounds like we need to check out Moorea. The fiancé wants to book a package so we will go that route. My fiancé works in a hospital and is frequently staffed in the ER. She hates motorcycles but maybe I can convince her to do the scooters. I have owned motorcycles and would love to check the island out via scooters. I have noticed a lot of packages offer multiple islands. Do you guys think that is worth doing? Part of me thinks it would be cool. Another part of me doesn't want to pack up and head somewhere else every few days.

jeff_mn 03-26-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruizza (Post 1739751)
Okay sounds like we need to check out Moorea. The fiancé wants to book a package so we will go that route. My fiancé works in a hospital and is frequently staffed in the ER. She hates motorcycles but maybe I can convince her to do the scooters. I have owned motorcycles and would love to check the island out via scooters. I have noticed a lot of packages offer multiple islands. Do you guys think that is worth doing? Part of me thinks it would be cool. Another part of me doesn't want to pack up and head somewhere else every few days.

Definitely see Moorea.

guido 03-26-2012 2:32 PM

It's beautiful, but super slow paced. A week was all I could do there before I started going crazy.

I think $10k for over the water is pretty typical including travel expenses. Not sure if the Club Med is still in Bora Bora, but it was a bit cheaper about 5-6 years ago. $6k total if I recall correctly.

Have fun. It's a pretty amazing place. Take a lot of pictures. They'll turn out better than you can imagine.

bruizza 03-26-2012 3:34 PM

We can only do a week because of our other vacation plans. I will have to check out the club med option! I think we are leaning towards a Moorea and Bora Bora package since you all speak so highly of Moorea.

306Rider 03-27-2012 8:52 AM

We did the Moorea / Bora Bora package. I think either way you want be dissapointed. I did have better Scuba diving in Bora Bora, but i think it was mostly due to the dive operator we went with on Moorea. Driving the scooters is pretty tame. The wife and I crusied on it for two days with out any problems. If you get a scooter, take it up to the Bellvider (SP) look out. You can see two bays its a fun drive up the hill & down. I spent almost a week at each place so i didnt mind the moving around. Deffinatley try the Roulettes ( Food Carts) They do some great strret meat!! and the prices arent to bad.

cragrat 04-13-2012 12:58 PM

Tahiti = "Suburbia". Moorea = "Beautiful inland and adventure". Bora Bora = "ROMANCE".