WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through July 21, 2005 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=242765)
-   -   Newbie etiquette question (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239672)

mr_chip 07-08-2005 10:07 PM

My son and I have been hooked on wakeboarding since late last summer, and get out every weekend. Still definitely "newbies" but we try hard. <BR> <BR>So a couple weekends ago, we are out early, hauling to our favorite location on a medium size lake. I look behind and a guy is overtaking us a high speed, waving arms frantically to get us to stop. So I stopped, thinking there was a problem. No. He asks - "Where do you board on this lake that is protected from all this wind?". I reply, "follow me" and take him to the beginning of a long (several mile) stretch of lake that has several good spots. I tell him this, wish him well, then head off - as we pass a spot that looks good (a fairly small area), we turn in - and he follows. Not wanting to be an a-hole, I held my tongue - but it pissed me off, 'cause there is no way the water stays calm with two boats in this small area, and I just told him about several miles of equally good water to explore and find his "own" spot. <BR> <BR>Am I being selfish? <BR> <BR>

mia 07-08-2005 11:12 PM

no...

dbritto1977 07-08-2005 11:36 PM

tell him to move to the delta, you can always find good water!!!! <BR>

ozonerider 07-08-2005 11:57 PM

You're not being selfish, but maybe someone who can't figure out that the smoothest part of a lake is going to be on the side sheltered from the wind is new enough not to know that two boats in one small spot is going to chop up the water pretty quickly. <BR> <BR>Danny, where was the good water on the Delta last weekend (through Tuesday, actually)? Or do you have a VERY secret spot??? <BR> <BR>

thane_dogg 07-09-2005 12:57 AM

you should have led him to another spot, and said, "this is pretty good" and then left and went to your other spot. Sounds like he was just trying to fit in and wanted to be near other wakeboats. Could you have asked him to take turns?

vtwakeboarder 07-09-2005 5:32 AM

If nothing else, maybe could have used him for some DU's, it couldnt have been more annoying than having every freakin jet skier on the lake following you around to try and jump your wake.

mr_chip 07-09-2005 7:34 AM

Thane, that's sorta what I was trying to do...but it didn't work. I didn't want to be antisocial cause we're not, but we were in a boarding mood - the same boat approached us the next day pulling a boarder (pretty good, too) - I was trying to get my 10 yr old niece up on trainer skis, way over by ourself at one end of the lake - she and my bro'in law were in the water - and "that boat" drove straight toward us within about (seemed like 25 yards before turning sharply away. I really was about to panic, thinking he didn't see us. So I'm not too sure about this guy... <BR> <BR>Thanks for the replies.

rdizzle 07-09-2005 8:03 AM

sound like he has similar characteristics of "that guy"

drewsky24 07-10-2005 7:06 AM

Tell him that you own the lake and you will call the cops(if you want to be a real big a$$ about it)

corkyswx2 07-12-2005 10:05 PM

haha. you own the lake. i'm gonna use that one. Chip- I would try to avoid the guy in the good water unless there's only room for one and you are already there. Next time you see him ask him where he found some sweet water at- when he tells you ask him why he isnt there instead of up your tushie. ...that might not work but that's probably what id end up doing.

jklein 07-13-2005 8:42 AM

The person you encountered is known as "Wally".

big_ed_x2 07-13-2005 8:49 AM

wallyworld??