WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   side to side tower sway (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=740380)

gravity 10-10-2009 11:47 AM

so what do you think is ok/average for a universal tower. or even a factory one. i would love to hear about the tower you are using. do they sway more on the trailer or on the water? thanks

ctimrun 10-10-2009 12:53 PM

I have no noticeable sway on mine at all, even with big guys pulling hard, although I am sure there is some give in it so it doesn't cause cracks, etc. CC 210 with the Titian tower.

gravity 10-13-2009 12:41 PM

ANYONE

dirwoody 10-13-2009 12:46 PM

I have an old Tige with the original tower, it sways quite a bit, but is a known issue with it. Other boats, the zero flex on MC's hardly move, a Titan we had on a Centurion was pretty solid, Monster towers are also solid. Those are the only ones I have more than a little experience with.

bill_airjunky 10-13-2009 2:14 PM

I have the Titan II for just that reason. On a foil we do a lot of tricks out to the side. A big strong guy who doesn't like to let go will rip a tower off the boat. I've seen it happen. <BR> <BR>A lot of guys will claim their towers are solid front to back &amp; that the side to side movement doesn't matter. But I'd love to see everyone stack their towers like we do. Four 24 lb Dbot5 speakers &amp; two 35 lb SkySkis on mine, almost 170 lbs, in all kinds of water conditions. Do that on any MC tower, even with the band aids, and you will see some serious side to side movement. <BR> <BR>And there are others worried about it too: <BR><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww2ygM9xpT0" target="_blank">MC Tower</a> <BR> <BR><a href="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7314075993144713846&amp;ei=R-3USomPCoHzlQePi4WdDQ&amp;q=mc+tower&amp;hl=en#" target="_blank">Another MC tower</a> <BR> <BR>(Message edited by bill_airjunky on October 13, 2009)

882001 10-13-2009 2:16 PM

those mc towers are rickety. had one jump over 6-8 inches and hit my buddy in the head

nsolis220 10-13-2009 2:53 PM

bill i was going to post same link about MC towers. I like MC's but the towers are like jello even with the support brackets

johnsvt 10-13-2009 3:05 PM

I rode behind an Xtar and didn't notice much sway. I thought the tower was fine.

lfrider92 10-13-2009 3:12 PM

we have a custom built lightning tower on our boat. its on rubber foot mounts, but ours sways alot with the wet sounds 3some up there. espically hitting another wake

266crownlinebr 10-13-2009 6:34 PM

Bill...I have two rubicon 450's, 1 Sky Ski, 3 wakeboards and a wakeskate on my tower. I have a Tricktower. Thought I would share. Check my new thread "Who has the most on their tower?" Didn't want to hijack this thread.

hawaiianstiln 10-13-2009 6:38 PM

My X2 MC tower swayed big time when I first got it, but all the joints were loose and no tower braces. I had the local dealer put the braces on and they tightened everything up and it doesn't move at all. <BR> <BR>and that's coming from a guy (me) that has owned nothing but Malibus for the past 7 years. The Titan tower does kick a$$ tho! I loved that Titan II tower that I had on my VLX!!! <BR> <BR>(Message edited by hawaiianstiln on October 13, 2009)

mattscraft 10-15-2009 12:42 PM

I have seen these vids before posted by Bill K, with the added braces no way my tower shakes that much! But a key point with regard to towers I will add is this... The MC tower is designed to have a little sway Port to Starboard, look near the base of the tower, there are specific bushings that allow for this to take the stress off of the fiberglass! Compare how most other manuf. attach the tower to the boat and it will make a lot of sense to you!

hypedrider7 10-15-2009 1:01 PM

I have an older Wake Designs tower on a 2000 VLX. It has quite bit of side to side sway. It is not too bad front to back even with two speakers and a light bar. <BR> <BR>The main issue is the older Wake Design tower has four joints on the top of the tower (I assume for breaking down and shipping from the factory). I am most likely going to remove the screws and weld those solid to see how it helps.

beachshack 10-15-2009 2:34 PM

I have a monster tower I used for the first time this summer and I love it. if you keep everything tight, tighten after 4 or 5 rides, you don't hear anything.

gravity 10-16-2009 5:03 PM

SO THE TOWER I JUST PUT ON SHOULD BE OK? IT JUST JIGGLES A LITTLE SIDE TO SIDE WHEN I ROCK IN ON THE TRAILER AT THE TOP MOUNT BUT THE TRAILER MOVES AT THAT POINT TOO. ITS JUST BEEN TO COLD TO TRY IT OUT IN THE WATER. THANKS FOR THE HELP

bill_airjunky 10-16-2009 5:13 PM

In my experience, chances are that any tower with a lot of joints in it (AirBoom, Monster, MC tower, older Metcraft), you will forever be tightening joints to keep it strong. Weld the joints. Maybe use Loctite red. <BR> <BR>A guy I just sold a SkySki to broke the top section of a Monster off the tower legs this summer. I understand they had it all welded up &amp; now the tower is stronger than ever. <BR> <BR>Joints are for shipping &amp; smoking. Not for strength.

gravity 10-16-2009 7:57 PM

i agree i was thinking of taking it to precision propeller and seeing how much they would charge to at least weld up the top pieces.

nwarhol1105 10-16-2009 11:54 PM

My Monster Tower sways hardcore, its scary. It needs to be tightened every set. Right when I installed it, it was solid as a rock. I need to contact Monster and get there opinion, not sure if I need new bolts or what...I guess I have a long MN winter to figure it out. <BR> <BR>I would say it sways more in the water and ridin, more so than on the road...

snowboardcorey 10-17-2009 11:58 AM

Nick, one of our mechanics had the same issue with his monster tower. He ended up welding the joints by the top and it helped quite a bit. You might want to stop in and ask him what was all involved.

formfunction 10-17-2009 8:36 PM

All you have to do is load all the joints.Take the lock nut on the hyme joint lose,then unscrew the leg a quarter turn.Take the hyme joint and turn it till it rests on the wall then lock the nut.tightening the leg will apply pressure on the joint and transfer it through the whole tower.I know that doesn't make alot of sense but it takes all the slack out of the legs.

monsterman 10-20-2009 5:36 AM

Nick, please give me a call at Monster Tower. 877-778-6937 We can discuss the specifics of your Monster Tower and offer solutions. It is not at all normal for you to have to tighten every set and have hard-core sway. <BR> <BR>Steve

gravity 11-09-2009 11:44 AM

winter sucks i want to try out my tower