WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   Parents, dont dress your girls like tramps (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787056)

ttrigo 04-20-2011 12:39 PM

Parents, dont dress your girls like tramps

I am not a huge fan of LZ, but he is spot on here. what is wrong with parents today?

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/04/1...ex.html?hpt=C2

bcrider 04-20-2011 1:26 PM

I watched a program on tv that was talking about adolescent girls today. They say the biggest issue they have now due to fashion and overall enviroment that there is no real young middle age in girls anymore. They go from being 6 and liking Barbie's and stuff to being young women who want all the nice clothes and everything elese that younger girls like instead of that coming in closer to the age of 14 or so. There is also a huge amount of marketing to that young age of girls now that never used to really exist. Heck, I wasn't wearing anything name brand or super fashionable when I was young but now that's the norm. I will agree that the parents can still refuse to buy that type of clothing or whatever it is but like anything else wrong in the world today it needs to come from the companies that are targeting these kids.

psych3060 04-20-2011 8:26 PM

This is a huge sore spot for me right now. My niece is 12-years old and the things she wears, the things she posts to her FB and the poses she and her friends make in their photos sends me into an outrage. I have talked to her and my mom has talked to her and her mother (my ex-sister in law) and my brother. She looks like an out of control wild child. She recently posted on FB that she was going to wear a tube top and short shorts to school and she didn't care if she got into trouble for dresscode. I called her on it and her lack of respect and she told me to shove it. By no means is parenting easy, heck I struggle on a daily basis with my 4-year old, but that flat out disrespect/defiance killed me. Sad thing is, I have a 15-month old girl and most of the shorts out there for her are super short. Really, do toddlers need to be dressing like tramps?

jason_b 04-21-2011 8:25 AM

Tuesday night my daughter and I went shopping for shorts...to replace the spandex ass-ad nonsense her mother bought her Sunday. WTF she was thinking, I have no clue!! Those spandex yoga shorts are perfectly acceptable for bed or in the house, maybe even when she does gymnastics..but she thought she was going to wear them out--SURPRISE!!! Ole Dad put the kibosh on that BS. She thinks she's going to sneak them out and wear them too, but I'm wise to that. lol
Kids grow up to fast!

guido 04-21-2011 10:08 AM

Man, it's pretty crazy. I'm not sure I'd be capable of raising a daughter. I'll deal with boys. Broken bones, bruises, cuts. Good luck to those of you with adolescent daughters. I'm sure I'll end up with one just because.....

ttrigo 04-21-2011 10:11 AM

my wife and I argued a couple years back about letting our then 2 year old daughter play with her cousins Bratz dolls. My sis-n-law said she was going to buy them for our daughter for her bday. I told her not to bother, because I will not allow those in my house. she said they are just dolls, they dont mean anything. I absolutely refused to allow them. barbies are one thing, but ghetto ass little whore dolls are stepping over the line a bit when it comes to little girls and their toys. it is getting harder and harder to buy clothes for the little ones. every store has basically one style of clothes for girls from age 2 to 20. it is absolutely ridiculous. considering how bad it is right now, I am not looking forward to ten years from now. :(

diamonddad 04-21-2011 10:14 AM

On a related note... IMO, all public schools students should be required to wear school specific uniforms. Its not a place for fashion statements or trampiness.

ttrigo 04-21-2011 11:18 AM

GD - agreed. funny how much my perspective has changed now that I am a parent. I was one of the kids protesting at my HS when they banned baseball hats because of all the stupid gang issues. now, I am all about order!!! haha.

shawndoggy 04-21-2011 1:15 PM

Does nobody see the irony of pervy dudes who frequently post buns, boobs, and stripper pole threads complaining that 8 year olds are dressing provocatively? By no means am I advocating dressing young girls in provocative clothing. I'm just trying to remind y'all that 8 year olds aren't wearing this stuff to arouse men, they're wearing it because it's the fashion of the day. If men end up being aroused, they might want to look in the mirror (i.e. consider their own objectification of women) rather than put women in burqas.

ttrigo 04-21-2011 1:57 PM

^^^^
are you taling about me? I cant recall posting anything like that.

shawndoggy 04-21-2011 2:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttrigo (Post 1673645)
^^^^
are you taling about me? I cant recall posting anything like that.

Nobody in particular. Just seems like a weird thread for ww given the general attitude re partying etc. Perhaps you've been advocating for burqas all along and I missed it.

ttrigo 04-21-2011 2:24 PM

wow. so because I dont have a problem with a grownup dressing like a slut, means I am a hypocrite for saying something about toddlers dressing like whores?
do you have kids? do you have girls? do you let them dress like whores?

brettw 04-21-2011 4:15 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tojBadSr2zI

imx 04-21-2011 5:09 PM

Saw an item on the news the other week about the latest trend they are trying to push over here, padded bras for 6-8 yr olds. WTF are people thinking of FFS.

no_tools 04-21-2011 10:50 PM

i think that todays moms are worse. they wanna look like teenagers worse then teenage girls do. most parents want their kids to be their friends instead of parents.

cadunkle 04-22-2011 5:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamonddad (Post 1673583)
On a related note... IMO, all public schools students should be required to wear school specific uniforms. Its not a place for fashion statements or trampiness.

Yep, let's push public school further into teaching our children to be good little conforming tax paying drones. Quell any objective or insightful thought, we can't have them questioning things either. Just do like everyone else or be punished.

Now I don't like young girls dressing slutty any more than the next guy. I think it's distasteful and sends the wrong message. If it's a problem in a particular district or community, have a dress code just like at any job. Hell, make it business casual if that's what all the parents in that school district want.

psych3060 04-22-2011 9:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no_tools (Post 1673742)
i think that todays moms are worse. they wanna look like teenagers worse then teenage girls do. most parents want their kids to be their friends instead of parents.

Reality TV, isn't necessarily reality. Unfortunately TV shows like Real Housewives make it seem that way. I, personally, do not want to be friends with my kids and do not dress like a whore, nor do I want to. However, I do not dress like what my image of what a "mom" is supposed to dress like either.

Parents are partially to blame for what their teenage daughters are wearing, I agree, but one thing that hasn't been brought up is what the stores are selling. Unfortunately you will be hard pressed to find something that successfully covers the butt cheeks these days in the young girls and juniors departments. Like I said in my post above, even for my 15-month old daughter, it is difficult to find clothes that over her butt.

ttrigo 04-24-2011 1:31 PM

I take it Shawndoggy has no more opinions on this? no kids?

jeff359 04-25-2011 6:25 AM

[QUOTE=no_tools;1673742]i think that todays moms are worse. they wanna look like teenagers worse then teenage girls do. most parents want their kids to be their friends instead of parents.[/QUOTE

A huge chunk of moms at my daughters school are like this. I barf in my mouth everytime I drop her off at school

shawndoggy 04-25-2011 6:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttrigo (Post 1674135)
I take it Shawndoggy has no more opinions on this? no kids?

Yeah two kids. My oldest (girl) is a HS freshman. Believe me I know where you are coming from, and I'm not trying to argue the point that kids SHOULD wear provocative clothing. Rather, I'm pointing out that any guy who sees a prepubescent girl as "sexy," regardless of how she is dressed, needs to consider why he is having those thoughts.

jason_ssr 04-25-2011 8:20 AM

Hard to blame the stores, though, as they sell what the consumer demands.

Society teaches us that the most important things in life are our individuality and our ability to draw attention to it. We are not supposed to care what others think. However, this mindset cripples the ability for us to use societal pressure to incourage proper behavior.

We all grew up mimmicking those who shine. We figure out what it is that makes them shine and we try to attain the same success at it (athletes, actors, musicians, etc). Today's young girl shines in our society by dressing this way, or posing this way, etc.

The only thing that will change this is if society changes and parents\kids feel shame for this behavior.

diamonddad 04-25-2011 8:27 AM

This why all public schools should be about shining your brain. School uniforms leave no kid ahead/behind in fashion.

jason_ssr 04-25-2011 11:13 AM

As someone who went to a private school that has uniform/dress code, it doesnt really thwart the problems as much as people think. Yes, it brings the extremes more to the middle as far as economic classes go, but definitely doesnt do anything for the provocative nature discussed here. Kids find a way. The issue then becomes a subjectiveness nightmare. People figure out how to violate the spirit of the code without breaking the letter. As you know, what may seem very provocative on one might not seem so on another. Then you get a double standard and parents get bent, and its a constant struggle.